Thread: To Trailer or not to Trailer

Hybrid View

To Trailer or not to Trailer

Perhaps this is not the correct "category" for responding to an article in the ON, but it's the best that I could figure. This was a well written very well thought out piece. Hopefully it will motivate further discussion of the topic & those with personal experience can contribute to the "knowledge base" on this topic.

There is a board topic for Sidecars & Trikes. As I recall trailers were rightfully excluded due to being a very different "breed of Cat" with little in common with the other two. From what I see at rallies & while out & about, trailers seem to outnumber Sidecars & Trikes, perhaps a topic on the board would be appropriate?

It has been discussed. For other points of view...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68803

Yes;

We covered this topic extensively a month or so ago here, after 'ON article. Good stuff mentioned here in forum, as much NOT said in magazine write up, from a guy(author) that never towed anything? It may have been well thought out from ones perspective, just NOT complete with towing experience thrown in there. We sounded off here, find it. Good stuff. I did trailer for 30000+ miles, behind KLT1200 and R100/7 long ago. Its FUN, BUT research is paramount for your SAFETY concerns. Learn it well, tow safe. Randy

Just saw your home:)

South Carolina. I have some great friends in ColumbiaSC that tow behind their RT1150 for years now, two up. They are really good friends and come to all the National Rallies. I will see them again in Salem this year, as they are crossing the USA once again. Same bike, RT with Bushtec Trailer they have towed a LONG ways. Lawson and Lois, their first names. Great people. You may know them? Randy

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    I will not tow a trailer without a 360 degree swivel hitch on the trailer never , its a matter of leaning over to far around a corner and then locking up the ball (without a swivel).That experience wants to stand back up your bike in a turn and thats not good.Just from my own experience. Even if your trailer was forced to flip or turn over from a road hazard on its side it won't force you down while on your bike to follow suit.
    Last edited by brewmeister; 06-20-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    81 R100RT

Aren't trailers.......

The preferred method of transport for Harleys?

Jack Ethridge

Swivle Trailer Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I will not tow a trailer without a 360 degree swivel hitch on the trailer never , its a matter of leaning over to far around a corner and then locking up the ball (without a swivel).That experience wants to stand back up your bike in a turn and thats not good.Just from my own experience. Even if your trailer was forced to flip or turn over from a road hazard on its side it won't force you down while on your bike to follow suit.
    Each to his own but I will never use a swivel hitch. Here is why. Years ago my wife and I were riding through Houston Tex in the outside lane doing 70 mph, pulling a trailer. I passed a car in the lane on my right and that car whipped out behind me and hit my trailer. The trailer flipped up on the left side and stayed there. The tongue was twisted but the hitch stayed locked on. Had I, In my Opinion, had a swivel hitch the trailer would have went up on its top that had two old style aluminum chairs strapped down. That would have allowed the trailer to swing around an pull the bike down. I never slowed down for a curve because of the trailer. Never leaned so far that the hitch prevented more lean.

Jack Ethridge
    Ocala Fl

now this is a rig! seems to have a sidecar AND a mini sportbike as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

another shot! and then there is this YouTube clip...wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITCg_xJx4U
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait