Thread: R1150R auxilliary lights

Mongrel Owner

R1150R auxilliary lights

Hi, all.
    I've ordered a couple of LED auxiliary lights off Ebay, to add a little conspicuity to the '02 'R. The lights draw about 9w each.
    I would like to have them switched on and off through the ignition, rather than putting a manual switch into the circuit.
    A friend wondered if there was an unused, switched connection in the R wiring harness that would be available for wiring up the lamps. Does anybody know? So far as I know, the only addition to stock is my nautilus horn, which is plumbed into the horn circuit with a relay.
    Assuming that BMW wasn't feeling in a generous mood when they designed the harness, what do folks do to wire in these little extras? Must seem simple, I know, but I'm always a bit leery of mucking about with the wiring. Guess I don't want to let the smoke out by mistake.
    Cheers, and thanks,
    Tony

Pull a signal from the parking/running light circuit to power a relay for your lights.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

+1 As an added plus; if you use the parking lamp circuit to drive your relay, it will keep the lights off during start-up thanks to the load relief relay.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Mongrel Owner

Thank you, gentlemen,

that's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
    Cheers,
    Tony