Thread: Transport Canada / BMW Recall F800GS and F700GS

Transport Canada / BMW Recall F800GS and F700GS

RECALL Transport Canada BMW issued a recall on the F800GS, and F700GS models
    On certain motorcycles, the side stand ignition cut-off switch could loosen and become damaged. As a result, the side stand switch would fail to turn OFF the engine if the side stand is extended while a drive gear is engaged. If the motorcycle is ridden with the side stand in the down position, the stand could hit the ground during a turn, which could result in a loss of vehicle control and a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Dealers will install bolts to securely fasten the side stand switch (originally held by a circlip).
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Odd

See:

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall...34167r-eng.php

There was no F700GS in 2011 yet it is listed as an affected model.

mike

The short answer is I don't know, I post them to document them.

My best guess is there may be a difference between our understanding of model year(sales years assigned by marketing and sales departments) and how it is often used in recalls (the year in which an individual unit was built). In this case a a bike sold as a 2012 model to us may have been built in 2011 and for the purposes of how governments track bikes etc for recall purposes would be 2011 model.

I hope I have used enough simulated government speak to confuse the issue even more.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune