Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Question

I had a Symax as a commuter helmet and really liked the convenience of the modular style. When time can for a replacement, I went with a Shoei Multitec on closeout for 299.00.

In any case, hot weather is made more bearable with a modular, IMHO.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Given that this is a BMW website and lots of us feel there is little of quality offered by the USA auto industry compared to German, how is it then that a USA helmet standard is superior? I'd be really surprised if there's a single driver or rider in Formula 1 or MotoGP that cares a whit about Snell. HJC makes Lorenzo's helmet. Schuberth makes Alonso's and Danica's helmets. Of course I note often here BMW owners considering PepBoys and Home Depot as parts sources, so it's happened before that people stay on the farm having seen Paris.

See http://rideapart.com/2013/06/a-begin...torcycle-gear/
    Well, this is America after all. Don't know if this is valid or not but I do believe Snell is better well known than the Euro-equivelent.

a few thoughts:
    * flip-up helmets are not actually designed to be ridden in the up position, unless you consider having a sail planted at the front of your head as being a really good thing.
    * due to the need for space to swing that chin bar up, I have yet to find a flip lid that is as quiet as a FF that fits properly. there is just that much more gap around the lower cheek/chin area on them.
    * wear earplugs, regardless of what helmet you buy; they all allow too much wind noise to get to your ears.
    *DOT is a compliance standard issued by DOT. Manufacturers agree to comply with it, and DOT agrees to approve their helmets. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been adjusted in the last quarter century or so.
    *AGV is, to my knowledge, the only company to have paid to get Snell tested (their Mugello helmet, iirc). I am not sure of the results of that testing. Yes, Snell or ECE (the Yurp standard) IS that much better than mere DOT.

bottom line (from my vantage point) is this- get the helmet that fits that offers the features you want, purchase a hydration vest (Joe Rocket's Sahara is very very good) along with a flow-thru mesh jacket, and quit your whining and sniveling about the heat. good lord man, you're starting to sound like one of these RS riders!!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    .. good lord man, you're starting to sound like one of these RS riders!!
    Now you're just being mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Now you're just being mean.
    well, in a friendly sort of way, yeah.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

After several Flip ups (modular) HJC, KBC I bought a C3 Shuberth.
    It took a couple of weeks to get used to but I love it. It is by far the quietest helmet I have ever owned.
    I would buy another when the time comes.
    Worth the extra money IMO. A quality built product.
    Intercom installation is very easy as well.
    My lady got a C3W this spring.

Also handy when you need to curse out a cage!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

The HJC RPHA Max is ECE certified.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

I had a Schuberth S1 full face for several years, then went shopping for a shopping for a modular helmet with a flip-front. The HJCs felt like a plastic bucket, only cheaper. Arai and Shoei just didn't feel quite right. Finally went to Barnett BMW and tried the new C3. Felt solid, lighter and smaller than my S1. Now the only choice was whether to go with a white (like my S1) or Hi-Viz C3. I went with the Hi-Viz. If I remember correctly, white helmets are associated with 25% fewer crashes in some study...European, I think. So Hi-Viz has to be better since it's so obnoxiously bright.

None of the helmets felt as well made as the Schuberth. I hate spending $700 on a helmet, but we all place our bets when we climb on our bikes.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Have to agree with jhgilbert and gsaddict on the Schuberth C3. I've been using flip up modulars for quite a while now both for stop and go and sun glass convenience and fit. My last one was the HJC SyMax II and it served me well. It just wore out.
    Modular helmets:
    - they are noisier than a full face helmet
    - they are heavier than a full face helmet

I finally splurged on the C3 and although the ventilation is not great and fogging requires that you run with the bottom open a bit to effectively keep it clear (I don't use the pin lock inner visor) it is otherwise the best helmet I have ever owned.
    - much quieter than the HJC
    - much lighter than the HJC
    - exceptional quality of materials
    - exceptional optical quality (especially the sun visor)

Yeah it hurt to pay $700 instead of say $269 for another SyMax but the comfort and quality is there. Some break in required.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Left Coast Rider
    Thank you all for your valued input.

I can get a pretty good deal on an HJC IS Max BT Sprint at a local shop. I'm going to try it to see if I like the idea of a modular helmet. If yes, I'll invest the bucks in something more high end.

Thanks again and see you at the rally in Salem.

Agree all you want on the C3, but the HJC RPHA Max is lighter, just as quiet, and quite good on ventilation. It is less expensive too.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    Agree all you want on the C3, but the HJC RPHA Max is lighter, just as quiet, and quite good on ventilation. It is less expensive too.

Didn't say it wasn't. I was referring to my HJC SyMax II.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

webikeworld rated the HJC CL-16 (a non-modular) their best helmet.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Don't do it...wait until Salem. I believe Schuberth is supposed to be there and I've heard they have had special deals in the past. One more thing...the customer service by Schuberth has always been excellent. The last time I dropped my S1 helmet, I called for the parts and they told me to ship them the helmet. They REBUILT the helmet with new padding, visor, etc and shipped it back the same day. My cost. Shipping to CA.

THANKS PHIL! He's the tech at Schuberth.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jhgilbert View Post
    Don't do it...wait until Salem. I believe Schuberth is supposed to be there and I've heard they have had special deals in the past.
    Never thought of that. But what would I do with the helmet I wear to get there? I don't own any crappy ones I'd just throw away. Shipping it home would be expensive. Perhaps I can negotiate a deal where they'll ship a new helmet to my place. I think I need to start a poll on the options I have.

Kidding!