View Poll Results: Should the MOA have a proactive roll in presenting its members concerns to BMW NA?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would LIKE the MOA to be an advocate for its members concerning possible manufacture defects.

58 39.73%
  • I would NOT like the MOA to be an advocate for its members concerning possible manufacture defects

88 60.27%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Please vote if you think the MOA should have a more proactive stance with BMW NA

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Sign me up. THIS is something worth fighting for! To the parapets, men!
    It's just like the finale to Les Miserables........ "Do you hear the people sing?"
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Dixie, the land of cotton espressoforyou's Avatar

Great post 36654, or should I call you "24601"?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    It's just like the finale to Les Miserables........ "Do you hear the people sing?"
    If the people are singing they need to step up to microphones.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post

I think some of you that fuzzed about this/these threads(that your reading anyway ) should visit the exciting topic of "Word Association" over in Campfire for even more excitement?
    Ah, yes. Word Association. You should all try it. It is very relaxing, inbetween all the bitching.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

What ever you do, don't let Klinck know about this thread! He seems to have his hands full over there on WA!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

BMW Rider
    I would highly recommend Red Hot Chili Peppers Moscow 1999 concert - much higher energy than Les Miserables - check out 28 minutes in to almost 30 minutes where Anthony begins to breathe life into the music with his hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WioU2ZniLs

For RT's that lack real horsepower this concert just might be the ticket. S1000RR riders on the other hand need to stay away from this stuff as you'll crash for sure .

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Ah, yes. Word Association. You should all try it. It is very relaxing, inbetween all the bitching.
    Relaxing is overrated.

BMW MOA has a volunteer advocate - called the Consumer Liaison. This is new to neither BMW MOA nor the several threads swirling about. But that fact keeps being overlooked. So is the Consumer Liaison, by members with issues with vendors, dealers, or BMW.

I believe there should be a "regular" column in the Owners News that reports the activities of the Consumer Liaison and the issues that he/she has dealt with. Whether "regular" means quarterly or monthly or whatever depends on the level of activity, use, and interest by the members.

This would have two possible affects with two distinct advantages. First, the possibility of regular publicity might have some modest effect on how folks cooperate and compromise. I do understand that often confidentiality is important. but issues can be described in generalities when necessary. More importantly however, every member would at least have the opportunity of being reminded that such a person as the Consumer Liaison exists and could be of help to a member.

It is my considered opinion that when issues arise it is important to address them at the earliest possible moment. The next day is often not too soon. The fact that BMW MOA has a person who might be able to help ought to be well publicized and in the forefront of folks minds when they believe they have a problem. A regular column in the ON would provide an opportunity for folks to know this much better than a name and phone number with a somewhat obscure title on the staff listing in the magazine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    .......... First, the possibility of regular publicity might have some modest effect on how folks cooperate and compromise. I do understand that often confidentiality is important. but issues can be described in generalities when necessary. ............
    Why do you feel confidentiality is important?

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    than Les Miserables
    In Les Miserables, a whole bunch of good, idealistic people and one misguided obsessive die by the end of the story.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

The idea of an ongoing update of the activities of the Consumer Affairs Liaison is an excellent idea. I won't get involved in the confidentiality question but think it presents a number of issues from a reporting / publication point of view that will impact how the topic is reported. When I briefly wrote for On there was a fifteen day lead time for columns. I don't know the current requirement for regular columns. The lead times for publication, what ever they currently are, would seem to preclude blow by blow coverage of a negotiation. In addition the magazine format does not allow for next day up dates of newspapers for example.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

BMW Rider
    In Les Miserables, a whole bunch of good, idealistic people and one misguided obsessive die by the end of the story.
    Gee, that could relate to this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Relaxing is overrated.
    Sez you!

As a survivor of nine heart surgeries I've learned that some good relaxation (which includes a nice putt on the 11S some afternoons) is critical to life!

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Paul, thanks for your suggestion and agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    BMW MOA has a volunteer advocate - called the Consumer Liaison. This is new to neither BMW MOA nor the several threads swirling about. But that fact keeps being overlooked. So is the Consumer Liaison, by members with issues with vendors, dealers, or BMW.

I believe there should be a "regular" column in the Owners News that reports the activities of the Consumer Liaison and the issues that he/she has dealt with. Whether "regular" means quarterly or monthly or whatever depends on the level of activity, use, and interest by the members.

This would have two possible affects with two distinct advantages. First, the possibility of regular publicity might have some modest effect on how folks cooperate and compromise. I do understand that often confidentiality is important. but issues can be described in generalities when necessary. More importantly however, every member would at least have the opportunity of being reminded that such a person as the Consumer Liaison exists and could be of help to a member.

It is my considered opinion that when issues arise it is important to address them at the earliest possible moment. The next day is often not too soon. The fact that BMW MOA has a person who might be able to help ought to be well publicized and in the forefront of folks minds when they believe they have a problem. A regular column in the ON would provide an opportunity for folks to know this much better than a name and phone number with a somewhat obscure title on the staff listing in the magazine.
    I looked on the MOA homepage and did not find any mention of the consumer liaison person or position. I know it and he exists because you recommended that I call him last year and I did. I think his name was "Jim" and he was very nice and called BMW NA and Bloodworth BMW on my behalf. Jim said the David Bloodworth "appeared annoyed to be hearing from a liaison with the MOA".

I think we need a "Super Liaison" that has access to service bulletins, recalls and is aware of recurring problems with members bikes and possible defects and report this information back to the member in the magazine and under a special tab on the forum.

I wonder how many members know the name and how to contact the consumer liaison. That would be a good poll to post but don't worry I am not going to.

The MOA has done a poor job of making the consumer liaison position and person known.

I have looked back at some of my old MOA magazines and I did not find one example where the MOA ever question anything BMW NA does or "doesn't do". The tech writers sometimes point out error in manufacturing but not the editors of the magazine.

Always good to hear your point of view and thanks again for helping me with my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    The MOA has done a poor job of making the consumer liaison position and person known.
    His name is on the masthead in each Owner's News. Contact information is provided.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Kurt for the information, an article about his function would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    His name is on the masthead in each Owner's News. Contact information is provided.
    I am sure the members would like to know more about him and his function. Maybe examples of how he has helped members in the past would be interesting.

Thanks again.