Thread: Need help identifying a rubber part

TravelsWithBarley.com

Need help identifying a rubber part

***FOUND IT*** I need half a dozen of these little trim pieces and have no idea what search terms to use. It's a rubber bumper that's pushed thru a 3/16 hole and keeps the hatch of my sidecar from slamming against the fiberglass tub on rough pavement or dirt roads.

I could probably find it on JC Whitney if I knew what to call them. Any ideas?

Name:  Trim.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  20.1 KB
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 06-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Hi Pete, those are the bumpers that are used in a commercial door frame and may be available at one of the home improvement stores (still).
    Here is something that may get you going on the right track- possibly a newer style.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2869/=n7hrkx
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

TravelsWithBarley.com
    A thousand thank yous!

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    A thousand thank yous!
    At the page (Google) that shows images, there was an auto-body shop supplier that seemed to feature them. Around my way, I could get them for sure from Robert Karpp..Attleboro/Boston.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    At the page (Google) that shows images, there was an auto-body shop supplier that seemed to feature them. Around my way, I could get them for sure from Robert Karpp..Attleboro/Boston.
    OM
    True, but you live in the Deep Souf. Up here in Vermont things like that aren't carried on the assumption that any vehicle old enough to need them rusted away decades ago.

If you want authentic BMW - they've used these on the bottom of many of their seats where they touch the frame rails. About $1.50/each or so.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Yep, my 86 airhead has a bunch of these rubbers supporting the seat. Check the fiche at Max BMW for the part number.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Rubber part

Looks like the dampening isolators that are used on the lower part of the tool tray for the (ignition brain?) on a '92 K 75s and possibly any other year K 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Yep, my 86 airhead has a bunch of these rubbers supporting the seat. Check the fiche at Max BMW for the part number.
    Ah, but those are metric and not 3/16 inch holes!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I posted my part number & a source several months ago-they are a GM part number & common as dirt and cheap-buy them 25 to the box for a couple of $. Metric factor doesn't matter as rubber slides into the holes fine as they are.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    ***FOUND IT*** I need half a dozen of these little trim pieces and have no idea what search terms to use. It's a rubber bumper that's pushed thru a 3/16 hole and keeps the hatch of my sidecar from slamming against the fiberglass tub on rough pavement or dirt roads.

I could probably find it on JC Whitney if I knew what to call them. Any ideas?

Name:  Trim.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  20.1 KB

Look up a company called Au-Vee-Co They are a hardware supplier for the auto industry.

auveco.com