Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travel Shoes

Travel Shoes

When I travel on the bike I take only 1 item of footware other than my boots (which vary by season).

Attributes that matter to me are size, weight, comfort, durability. I don't need rugged hiking boots to protect my feet, just "walk around", all purpose footware.

My favorite (mens, don't know if there is a women's version) is the Patagonia Cardon (color "vanilla'). Crushable, comfortable, durable. My first pair lasted 4 years of almost daily use, they're still made. Not cheap at $140 but better quality than other similar I've seen. Used to be sold by REI, no longer. I order direct, just bought 2 pair as discontinutation insurance, though they've been in steady production for at least the past five years. More comfortable than any boat shoe, which is what I used to use..

Your choice??

I pack similarly. Usually, pair #2 is an old pair of Merrell tennis shoes, light and comfy. Once, living from the saddlebag liners in Europe for two months, when space was really at a premium, I had bike boots and a pair of Tevas.

On other non-bike trips carrying a daypack, I've worn slipons from Lands End, very similar to the Cardons you use, and carried flipflops.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Keens
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Wide feet here, so I pack a pair of Merrell sneakers (Mondo Version) and some sandals that double as shower shoes and mosey around the campsite footwear.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    Croc's ,light and comfy.Good for showering and walking lots,Water proof.
    81 R100RT

For the past eight years the only consistent take along footwear is a pair of Nike sandals that won't wear out. They work for the shower and walking around the campsite. The purpose of my trip dictates which boots I ride in and if I take additional shoes for sailing or__?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Skechers and my old pair of slippers. I don't go ANYWHERE without those!
    -Kevin
    2005 R1200GS

I take my riding boots and a pair of Keens when we do our four or so month summer rideabout. The Keens pack quite flat, are comfortable to walk in, take puddles and water in stride, and do triple duty as shower shoes.

They do look a little weird when I decide I want to wear socks with them but I'm to old to care. "Style" is for the timid.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Ditto Croc's:)

I've carried everything over the years. The Croc's of late are OK and tack on the back of bike anywhere, via ball bungie. I find them NOT the best walk about shoe for hours though, just handy around the camp and shower, short walks only. Its always a last thing issue as I depart for any trip, WHAT to take for #2 shoes? I like the handy Croc's, just cannot hurt them and no need to pack them in anywhere, just hanging them on back of bike thing, with my camping gear. Hiking shoes are the opposite and require much thinking where to put them, BUT way comfy for long walkabouts. Done both and always my dilemma what to carry. Randy

I take Sperry Topsiders if going somewhere warm-ish, just a little powder first, then no socks.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

al

I have some sandals (Teva?) originally intended for use in and around water. They are compact, tough and fit well enough so you can run in them if you want. I have a dog who is rather fond of long (4-6 mile) daily walks, and they work for that. Mine must have several hundred miles on them.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Cool

SAS shoes, very comfortable and great for walking.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Keens
    Yeah Bud!

BMW Rider
    Chuck Taylor Converse All Star's (high tops) - work like a charm!

na1g
    New Balance running shoes (AKA "trainers") Light, comfy and NB makes shoes in widths. They even have a few models that are wide in the toe box and narrow in the heel, just for me!

The only packing problem with running shoes is the stiff heel counters that don't flatten out, but stuff your spare socks or skivvies inside the shoes so the space doesn't go to waste.

pete