Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just can't get used to my R1100RT

Hybrid View

Just can't get used to my R1100RT

I'm just venting here. I have put 3000 miles on my 98 R100RT so far. I just can't seem to get used to this bike. I miss the old K bike engine. I love the ergos of the RT, and the style is outstanding, I just cant love the engine. I don't like the 'thump' of the twin. I miss that sewing machine 4 cylinder, that would pull smooth as silk all the way from idle to 7500 rpm. I wish there was a R-RT with a K engine! I know...the k1200GT...that bike has a few deal killers too. (small side case, a little too 'sparse' in the dash area, just a little too sporty ergos)

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and admit that a K1200LT is what I want. Geez, I didnt think I was that old.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I'd like to ride a modern R series bike... Just to try one out.
    I love my 93 airhead R100RS... And also love my Brit Twins.
    Of course I love my two K bikes as well!
    A local BMW. Dealer has a 2005 R1200ST for sale. MIGHTY fine looking machine, IMO.

http://www.hermys.com/camera/DSC02295.JPG
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Nickname: Droid
    Ride it and you'll love it!

I still love my 76 R100RS. But my 94 R1100RS has it beat in so many ways. Now I am working on my 2007 R1200RT conversion to an RS.
    I'm just a RS kinda guy, to my grave.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Now I am working on my 2007 R1200RT conversion to an RS.
    Something like this?

R1200RRSFairing1sm.jpg
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I have had 3 LTs and 3 RT. Rode RT's for work for 10. Rode the 1100, 1150 and 1200. To me the 1200 is the cat's meow. The 1200 still has that little twin buzz but smooth once on the highway like the LT.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Nickname: Droid
    dbrick, that is the general idea, but not with the "current" or old style RS fairing. I have a faring from a CBX Honda that I am mounting to the RT chassis, to which I am integrating the RT lowers (which actually mimic the original RS fairing lowers). The CBX fairing is smaller in width and profile than the RT fairing, but larger than the current RS fairing. Round headlight (traditional me), two guages in the top inside the fairing (clock and voltmeter), etc.

It'll take some work, and a lot of home fab design (done that before) but I think a "new" RS is entirely possible. Other changes:
    1. R1200R front fender, I don't like the "beaky" front fender on the RT
    2. Tire hugger rear fender, my own design, to get ride of the rear fender "tail" on the RT
    3. Custom seat set of my own design (built a custom seat on my current RS)
    4. Remus exhaust to give it some RS "bark"
    5. Custom rear tail rack to accept a GIVI tail box without a added-on mount plate setup.
    6. Built in driving lights into the fairing/lowers area.
    7. Built in air ducts in the front of the fairing for cooling air behind the fairing. The original RS fairing can be kinda hot behind it.
    8. Built in mirrors on the CBX fairing so nothing is projecting out into the airstream to mess up the flow.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Something like this?

R1200RRSFairing1sm.jpg
    I REALLY like the look of that.

Was it a kit or did you do a bunch of fabricating?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

OMG, I'm running right now over to the Oil Head pic thread and tell them you said that

Bluehole will love that!

As for the pic, unfortunately David and I know nothing about the bike; it is a pic pinched from a French site, and we have emailed back and forth about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

I wish I could say it was mine, but it isn't. Rad found the pic on a European bike forum; all we know is this

The headlight treatment is poor, less smooth than the stock RS light. OTOH, I'll bet the light was cheaper than using BMW parts. The fairing/tank joint as the fairing sides drop would have been challenging; I wish we had more pictures.

Still, the overall look and proportion (and color!) are wonderful. I wonder how much weight it added; I wonder what it cost.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Ride it and you'll love it!

I still love my 76 R100RS. But my 94 R1100RS has it beat in so many ways. Now I am working on my 2007 R1200RT conversion to an RS.
    For the last couple of weeks, between thunderstorms, I've been commuting on the '94 R11RS. I've got a Givi V46 topcase installed which easily handles my laptop courier bag and when parked, my helmet.

This morning, I decided it was a good day to ride the R100RS. I couldn't agree more, the R11RS has it beat is so many ways.

Andy, I can't wait to see pics of the "conversion" you're working on. Sounds very interesting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

With the boxer twin finally with a balancer shaft, I'm sure you'd find the R1200RT plenty smooth.

I was so completely and utterly turned off by the vibration of 1985 K-bikes that I've never considered a K for a nanosecond since, but I do hear they have been improved.

Yes, maybe the original Oilhead at 1100 and then 1150 was past time for the balancer shaft, but on my R1100S at least it's only really annoying around town. In the usual twisties, I never notice.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    ... least it's only really annoying around town. In the usual twisties, I never notice.
    Exactly! And the 'on-off' feel of the throttle at speeds below 50mph really gets to be annoying.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by braddog View Post
    Andy, I can't wait to see pics of the "conversion" you're working on. Sounds very interesting.
    Me too!
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    A local BMW. Dealer has a 2005 R1200ST for sale. MIGHTY fine looking machine, IMO.
    You'll be in the minority with that viewpoint. Poor sales and dropped after only 38 months in production would attest. Of course the R1200S was actually good looking but I assume the scary looking seat had the same result. Something did.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    I'm just venting here. I have put 3000 miles on my 98 R100RT so far. I just can't seem to get used to this bike. I miss the old K bike engine. I love the ergos of the RT, and the style is outstanding, I just cant love the engine. I don't like the 'thump' of the twin. I miss that sewing machine 4 cylinder, that would pull smooth as silk all the way from idle to 7500 rpm. I wish there was a R-RT with a K engine! I know...the k1200GT...that bike has a few deal killers too. (small side case, a little too 'sparse' in the dash area, just a little too sporty ergos)

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and admit that a K1200LT is what I want. Geez, I didnt think I was that old.
    I know exactly what you mean. Being the kind of person that I am, I'll take it off your hands and let you get back to what you are used to...