Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Throttle Ergonomics

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    An easy and cheap remedy could be a "cramp buster" for around $10.-. It is a hard plastic piece that wraps around the throttle grip and you can rest the bottom of your palm on it to turn the throttle. this will take a lot of pressure off the palm of your hand which causes numb and tingling hands. (carpal tunnel syndrome)
    I have and ride 15 different bikes and I find those that require a riding position with more weight on my arms and shoulders to be the ones that cause that particular discomfort, although I do not have the problem when riding for short trips only. On both my long(er) distance tourers - R1100RT and K1600GT - I use the cramp buster, although the ergonomics are not that radical.
    +1
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by 20715 View Post
    My cramp buster was the best $10 I've ever spent on a motorcycle.
    $8.95 and I have to agree. Crampbuster!
    One on my F800ST and one on my C650GT.
    Makes ALL the difference.

I have an old ThrottleMeister (with the flip lever) - psychologically I cannot use it, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I have a crampbuster (not the rounded one; the flat paddle-shaped one).
    I have not upgraded to the more comfortable-looking version because:
    I have figured out that what it does for me really is to make it awkward to form a death-grip on the dang handlebar.

What is it with that?
    I'll be running along and realize my hands, arms, and back are starting to hurt.
    Then I realize I am leaving fingerprints in the grips through my gloves I am gripping so hard, and my elbows are locked straight out, and I'm sitting too far back and loading my tailbone.
    I don't know how such things become habit, it's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 20715 View Post
    My cramp buster was the best $10 I've ever spent on a motorcycle.
    Where do you get them? I have similar problems with throttle hand numbness especially the thumb, index and long finger numbness on long rides. I'll be riding the coast this Aug from the BC border to Monterey bay and would like too be more comfortable on my R1100 RSL.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Where do you get them? I have similar problems with throttle hand numbness especially the thumb, index and long finger numbness on long rides. I'll be riding the coast this Aug from the BC border to Monterey bay and would like too be more comfortable on my R1100 RSL.
    Google is my friend! Thanks for making me aware of this product as I've ordered one.

Don't overlook gloves!

As a technician, my hands take a beating everyday and then I ride home. Cruise control has helped the most, one of many reasons I enjoy the RT so much. But I have also found that proper fitting gloves really are critical as well. Even the slightest bit of tightness is bad for me. Oh yeah and I'd bet the anti-inflamatory drug I take for arthritus has made for less painful hands as well. Not to espouse better living through chemistry or anything.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

1+ on the gloves. I had forgotten about that. I did experience this when I used a pair of older gloves that I had rotated out of use. They had a tight spot on them that ended up causing my hand to almost feel like it was cramping. Switched back to the Helds I normally use and all was instantly better.
    NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Douglas Williams
    I recently acquired an 89 GS with a crampbuster style add-on. I was skeptical until I used it. When you realize how little throttle movement is required for cruising, the crampbuster works really well. I can relax my grip and control my throttle with the palm of my hand. I'm a fan.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Anyone know if the cramp buster devices will work with beemer buddies?
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
    Anyone know if the cramp buster devices will work with beemer buddies?
    Jeff
    Yes, I put Beemer buddies on last year and my cramp buster fits & works just fine.

Sent via mental telepathy.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."