Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: '12 RT to '13 GSA

Good:)

You have a great Suzuki VStrom! Those things are getting legendary in Suzuki lineup. Great rides. I see them everywhere I go on my GSA. My other is a KLR650'08 and its all farkeled to death for touring. A huge difference to GSA, but still tons of fun to tour on. Just slower. You may consider keeping the VStrom, but if youre GSA hungry, VStroms SELL quick, very quick. The GSA2013 Hexhead does NOT have cruise, THE NEW water cooled one(GS Standard) DOES have cruise, but is not GSA for another year or more. Look into Kaoko CC, if you buy GSA. Its not electric, BUT very handy and easy to use. ANYHOW, I see VStroms, KLRs all over the planet touring FAR from home. Don't be too hard on them smaller CCs. 70mph is fast enough. Randy

You are going to buy the GS anyway

You have the GS fever. Enjoy it. I wanted one until I rode back with my buddy from Daytona in the rain. I felt sorry for him on his GSA while I was nestled behind my fairing on my RT.

Most people don't ride enough in foul weather for it to make a difference; I am not most people.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    You have the GS fever. Enjoy it. I wanted one until I rode back with my buddy from Daytona in the rain. I felt sorry for him on his GSA while I was nestled behind my fairing on my RT.

Most people don't ride enough in foul weather for it to make a difference; I am not most people.
    Yes, but you neglected to say how your buddy felt...

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Yes, but you neglected to say how your buddy felt...

I've got no problem with just going 70. I'm kind of a 5 mph over kind of guy. It's just hard to make the decision to ride cross country when you know a mile-eater like the RT is sitting at home while I'm on the Strom. Even with an RDL.

Well, since I can't make up my mind and acting like a woman after all this great advice, I'm at the point at which I'll see if the dealer calls back. If not, I'll enjoy the hell out of my RT, and think about a water-cooled GSA with cruise in a year or two. I love the RT, it's just that I lust after a GSA. Hey, there's always that winning ticket I've got for Salem too!! By the way, is there a pill for the GS Fever?

If something comes up, I will surely let you guys know. I appreciate all the advice and opinions on both sides and like knowing a resource like this even exists.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
    .......... I love the RT, it's just that I lust after a GSA. ..........
    But lust being the bad thing it is always comes to a predictable end, and that is you lose interest quickly once the lust is satisfied. So the RT is a good decision. Congrats as you already own one of the finest bikes on Planet Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    But lust being the bad thing it is always comes to a predictable end, and that is you lose interest quickly once the lust is satisfied. So the RT is a good decision. Congrats as you already own one of the finest bikes on Planet Earth!
    Cheers to that!!
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

You will miss the RT, believe me. The only solution is to get both.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    You will miss the RT, believe me. The only solution is to get both.
    You're absolutely right!
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

Still???

I have several bikes and you always have that in your mind? AM I riding the right bike today? Mine are so different and all are fun rides and getting over that "left bike home thing I should a brought", no pill cures this. If a CON exists in owning multiple bikes, this is it! I try to think positive and enjoy whatever I chose that trip, forget what you left at home. Comparing will only make you feel ill, so ride'em all and no worries any particular day. Randy

[QUOTE=Polarbear;882752]I have several bikes and you always have that in your mind? AM I riding the right bike today?

I never have that in my mind when I commute or ride locally. Locally being within a few hours of home. When I ride across the country, I couldn't see taking the Wee when there is an RT in the garage. I guess the whole, right tool thing. I was just saying that I've been spoiled riding the RT over long distances, and as much as I like the Wee I couldn't see moving the RT out of the way to take the Suzuki on a trip like that. I'm sure that would be different if I were with several buddies who were on similar bikes.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

You will:)

Get a GSA and you will always wonder, I try not to AND enjoy the KLR650 as much as my GSA if its my choice on open road trips. Don't limit yourself and enjoy the smaller bikes too. Sure the RT has comfy, your Strom No? I made my KLR and others comfy and only difference is HP and that's not on the comfy list anyways. Maybe some it is. My main ride is my GSA(like you and RT), but would not hesitate changing for another in my garage, Airheads or KLRs, to perform same trip. To me, all my bikes travel well. GSA is my best, biggest monster in garage. I DO use it most, but only a few years ago, took the Airhead R100/7 on a 10000m journey of NAmerica and even on dirt, Pikes Peak. This was GSA country, old R did well, no complaints. You CAN make the others equal to RT in comfort, just get the right add ons. Our cheapest to buy, KLR has ALL the open road add ons for such travel. Its no touring slouch, only in HP, its lacking. Im not dishing you here, just my "wishing you well" and enjoy all you have. YOU join me in GSA ownership and it even gets better. My last was KLT1200, so I know the change of pace thing youre experiencing with RT. Before the BIG KLT I owned a LOT of GSs and returned to my passion of the Adventure Bikes. I rode the KLT 98000m, all smiles, my current GSA at same miles today. Best Regards to ya and your choices. SEE ya in Salem....Randy

decisions!

This thread is very much on my mind. I've had a 2011 R1200R for 2 yrs and really enjoy it. I've always had 4 cyl Japanese bike before that treated me well, but wanted a change. Got older, got fatter and slowed down. Love the torque of the R and ride is great. I sat on a R1200GSA and found I had more room to be comfortable. I've looked [lusted] at several including the GSW and am torn. On purpose I have not test ridden at this point because as a retired Jeep salesman I always used the test drive as a successful closing tool. That's a good thing, plus I don't like to tie up a salesperson until I'm ready to make a decision and have funds available. Then I will tie him or her up for heavy product info. I'm not an off roader anymore but like the unpaved roads of Me, NH, VT and NY. They get me areas I would not normally go, that's what I want. BMW has a decent promotion going on till 7/31 on GSA's which helps. I'm doing a trip to the Upper Peninsula within 30 days then I'll have to make a decision to go for it or hold for the time being. I'm babbling on, but that's where I'm at. The comments in this thread have been very helpful, so thank you!
    Janda
    2011 R1200R

One More Thing

I have never heard of a GS (or GSA) rider going to an RT. Only RT riders going to GS's...
    Take the GS pill.....you'll never go back.

Sean Ross
    2006 GS1200R Silver (Sellers Remorse)
    2012 GS1200R (Last of the Great)
    Some Goodies

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by smross44 View Post
    I have never heard of a GS (or GSA) rider going to an RT. Only RT riders going to GS's...
    Take the GS pill.....you'll never go back.

Sean Ross
    I have. Both bikes are excellent however the RT is going to be a better highway bike than the GS. Some folks change their mind and decide highway comforts are more important.