Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I went to parochial school until the 8th grade, so I've BTDT. Lets just say I'd like to be proven wrong.

Now, how about them Harley's?
    Oh yea, we were discussing Harley's weren't we. What's to discuss? Any municipality that thinks a Harley makes a better police bike has no experience with BMW. Case closed. It would be impossible to say the Harley is a better vehicle.

/ mod hat on /

Folks, let's keep the discussion to motorcycles, BMW and uh, what was it...oh yeah, Harleys, and police departments. Religion has no place in this discussion and is not permitted per the Posting Guidelines. So, let's bring this back on track, please.

Thanks!

/ mod hat off /
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Oh yea, we were discussing Harley's weren't we. What's to discuss? Any municipality that thinks a Harley makes a better police bike has no experience with BMW. Case closed. It would be impossible to say the Harley is a better vehicle.
    Last week during the class I got to ride the 2013 HD police motor with 100 different changes to the motorcycle. Within 15 minutes of hard cone work my left armed started to remind me that the HD still had cable clutch. It was a hard pull. During a lunch break I was able to go for a long ride but the ride was very uncomfortable. The wind protection was none, there was wind around my legs, arms and chest It got worst on the interstate. I wonder if the ride would be better with full face helmet?? I love my RT and loved my RTP. Best cop motorcycle made.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Bluenoser
    Which police bike is better is no different than which police car is better. There is no doubt if you ask a police officer which brand of bike or car he likes, he will have his/her favourite but in reality it all boils down to dollars & cents when the tax payer is paying the bill.

Most of the big 3 auto dealers in North America, build a police spec car, and then the various police agencies outfit it with there own equipment. At one point a few years ago, I can't recall which of the big 3, was championing a complete police spec car down to the lights, sirens etc. It never got off the ground in this country, due to cost. Buying a police spec car then installing your own equipment allows you to spread the police equipment cost over several years.

Police bikes are a very small percentage of the police fleet universe and can perform some functions better than a 4 wheeled vehicle. No matter what the police vehicle, it can't out run the radio. High speed chases are tightly controlled by most police agencies, due to liability, hazard to the police and the general public.

Having owned both BMW R bikes and Harley bikes, the Harley bikes are easier & cheaper to maintain. Both bikes come with ABS, run flat tires etc.

I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes. Both models of bike, especially the R models have much more in common with a HD than any other bike, being that for the most part they are both still air cooled and based on very old technology. But technology that still works.

As long as we are on 2 wheels, that's about all that matters.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
    I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes. Both models of bike, especially the R models have much more in common with a HD than any other bike, being that for the most part they are both still air cooled and based on very old technology. But technology that still works.

I disagree. I rode both Harley and BMW police bikes while on the job. Harley guys do not put down BMW because after they ride a BMW RT they are for the most part, speechless, saying just "Wow. I had no idea." and similar comments.

And, how anyone can compare a Harley to R bike, w/o considering a 400 lb R1200S does not know what BMW can build. Now the original dry weight was 419 but between BST CF wheels, and a LiPe battery, I've taken the weight down, increasing handling, stopping and riding. Never mind the bike is easier to start with the replacement battery.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
    I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes.

first part: That's because the majority of the "Harley crowd" does not know any BMW. Never sat on one, never seriously looked at one, never rode one. There are some that don't even know that BMW makes motorcycles.

second part: totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I just spent the morning running around like a cop, with the cops on duty, as I ran civilian support for a local triathlon on some stunning two lane rural roads on an open course.
    I have done this as well in San Antonio for a huge marathon....carrying a backwards sitting cameraman as well...going opposite of traffic flow and running lights as the motor LEO's waved me on was pretty cool. Running twice the limit with "permission" was a charge. Seeing that footage on ESPN a few weeks later and hearing my GSA growl in the background was sweet...following the female elite runners as our assignment didn't hurt either

Around here the local muni's and state have to competitive bid all units by law...it's all in how you write the specs for bids as to what you can purchase.You just don't buy what you want.
    I went through that trying to buy electric utility equipment for years. The ABS requirement put H-D out for a few years. Austin has more BMW's still, but the county now has a lot of Connies in their fleet. The Austin guys were not pleased losing their H-D's...at first
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    I can't imagine riding my R1200RT for two miles at parade (walking) speed, feathering the clutch and lurching from off to on-throttle. I'm also not too keen

peteon riding a Harley at those speeds either, especially on a really hot summer day.

I don't know what kind of deal H-D gives police forces, but they continue to dominate because of the moto officers' familiarity with them, the buy American thing, low maintenance costs, low seat and the suitability for slow speed work.

For higher speed work the RT would be the winner. Don't see many (any) H-Ds in the Tour de France bicycle race fleet. Lots of BMWs and Kawasaki GTR/Concours which seem to be the official m-c of cycle racing.
    IMO, and from what I can tell, the other side of the Atlantic embraces sport touring models in a much higher percentage then in the US. Where in the US, because of HD marketing, a kool-aid drinker mentality was created towards the V Twin engine design, and cruiser style bikes, including the Japanese imports.
    Of course there will always be the "buy American" push when it comes to police bikes in the US, but I believe that efficiency, officer safety(including ride characteristics, handling, etc) should be much more important then any other factors. If HD cannot supply it, then a department will look elsewhere. There are probably no police departments in Germany using HD's.
    2005 R1200RT

Most US police chiefs are considered dinosaurs, and that's who make policy and rarely change anything. Around 1985 I questioned why my department was doing something in a certain way that I considered to be archaic. In response I received a blank look for a moment, and then the actual words..."Because that's the way we have been doing it since 1950."

"Buy American" has a lot to do with it, and so does Harley Davidson's absolute committment to do whatever it takes to keep it's share of the market. Just try and get a $99/month lease payment on an almost 30K motorcycle. That's what Harley offered U.S. police departments.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Most US police chiefs are considered dinosaurs, and that's who make policy and rarely change anything. Around 1985 I questioned why my department was doing something in a certain way that I considered to be archaic. In response I received a blank look for a moment, and then the actual words..."Because that's the way we have been doing it since 1950."

"Buy American" has a lot to do with it, and so does Harley Davidson's absolute committment to do whatever it takes to keep it's share of the market. Just try and get a $99/month lease payment on an almost 30K motorcycle. That's what Harley offered U.S. police departments.
    The $99 lease has not been about for the last 15 years..........starting to sound like your dinosaur chief.........lol
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    The $99 lease has not been about for the last 15 years..........starting to sound like your dinosaur chief.........lol
    I said "offered" as in the past, to show what Harley was capable of doing to keep their share. It's been about 10 years since I saw that. Mike's H-D in Delaware was offering those leases even after H-D corporate stopped. It may have been even more recent than that but I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I said "offered" as in the past, to show what Harley was capable of doing to keep their share. It's been about 10 years since I saw that. Mike's H-D in Delaware was offering those leases even after H-D corporate stopped. It may have been even more recent than that but I can't be sure.
    Our department went to Harley's in 1996 to 2000 and that was not an option for our department. I had always heard there was option like that out there but never heard an officer stated that their respectable departments had the type of lease......
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Adding to the reason why posted this post. In years that I have dealt with police motorcycle and that is going on 19 years I have seen the BMW police sales rep, maybe twice. The Harley police rep at least if not more than 2 to 3 times a year. I know that police sales for Harley is a big market and probably why they put in so much support for law enforcement. BMW could do the same, if they wanted too.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black