Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

One of the European countries is using Kawasaki ZX's to chase down speeders; don't know which country or which model. (One of the guys around here has a ZX10 that is ALL gloss black with just a little bit of chrome - actually quite a good-lookin' machine.)

Also, I just heard on our local news radio station KNX that Harley gave 2 white bikes to the Vatican's police force.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    One of the European countries is using Kawasaki ZX's to chase down speeders; don't know which country or which model. (One of the guys around here has a ZX10 that is ALL gloss black with just a little bit of chrome - actually quite a good-lookin' machine.)

Also, I just heard on our local news radio station KNX that Harley gave 2 white bikes to the Vatican's police force.
    Given the child abuse issues may God work on both the Vatican and in keeping the H-D's running. I am surprised they didn't go with a German product however given their past history.

Paying of indulgences?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    RTP's are already done by dealers as opposed to by BMW now.
    Billy, what do you mean? Surely each dealer doesn't install the wiring to each bike? That has to already be there. They may apply the accessories like radio, radar, and shotgun mounts, but they don't take a stock RT and make it a RT-P..

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Billy, what do you mean? Surely each dealer doesn't install the wiring to each bike? That has to already be there. They may apply the accessories like radio, radar, and shotgun mounts, but they don't take a stock RT and make it a RT-P..
    By wiring I assume you mean the wire harness? You are right in what you say. Dealers are not converting RT's into RTP's. There is substantial work with authority-related accessories like you mentioned. It's a pretty big task to get an RTP ready for daily work.

BMW could learn a valuable lesson from Harley - When your product is out there and seen (in another country, no less) by hundreds of thousands of viewers in a parade, that has to have some impact.
    Just as many "American" motorcyclists may prefer to buy an "American" product, I cannot doubt that many buyers in other countries would also prefer to keep their dollars in their own country.

I've met some of the guys from the HD Rimini shop when they came out to tour the American Southwest - they be a partyin' bunch!

I would guess that since the USA is such a larger potential market than say, Germany, that any manufacturer would love to be able to break into that market. I would agree that H-D would have a difficult time trying to sell police motors in Germany.

I would guess that since the USA is such a larger potential market than say, Germany, that any manufacturer would love to be able to break into that market. I would agree that H-D would have a difficult time trying to sell police motors in Germany.
    BMW is supposedly the #1 manufacturer of authority bikes in the world. America is a different animal though. HD as a police bike has been a TOMA thing in this country for awhile.
    My Motorrad

I just spent the morning running around like a cop, with the cops on duty, as I ran civilian support for a local triathlon on some stunning two lane rural roads on an open course. I work support with three retired motor cops (how I got in, who knows) As usual my silly race official placard on the windscreen, the military spec lime green vest and hazard lights let me jump double yellows, pass traffic over double yellows, exceed the speed limit at times and all in all have a fun time, and I may add, stay safe and keep the 700+ riders safe.

Oh ya, why did I post here, well I find the play cop world, just like the real cop world, has a lot of time spent standing around next to the motors. I had fun, as usual, comparing notes on the bikes and talking about what they like to ride. One guy made the change from BMW to a Connie a year ago and at first missed his BMW cop bike. Now, he loves his Connie, but admits that the BMW was a better slow speed mount for him.

Playing cop, without that whole bullet get shot thing , is a lot of fun

I love retirement!
    Last edited by rad; 06-17-2013 at 02:13 AM.

the blessing article, it also notes the contribution of the 2 bikes -

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...rley-davidsons

BMW Rider
    Yes, but H-D is the major player. BMW is nothing but a niche market.

BMW Rider
    the blessing article, it also notes the contribution of the 2 bikes -

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...rley-davidsons
    This is embarrassing. As a Christian I know you can bless people but can you bless inanimate objects? This calls for research...

This is embarrassing. As a Christian I know you can bless people but can you bless inanimate objects? This calls for research...
    The dead are blessed. Dead is inanimate. I say whatever gets you through the night.
    My Motorrad

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    The dead are blessed. Dead is inanimate. I say whatever gets you through the night.
    Now now Ponch... I realize you're a non-believer and God gives you the right to not believe. There are repercussions for non-believers however when they die. I realize you won't believe that but we still love you brother.

By the way, you cannot pray for the dead. The Bible clearly states that. Is this discussion even allowed on this forum? Probably not...

Now now Ponch... I realize you're a non-believer and God gives you the right to not believe. There are repercussions for non-believers however when they die. I realize you won't believe that but we still love you brother.

By the way, you cannot pray for the dead. The Bible clearly states that. Is this discussion even allowed on this forum? Probably not...
    I went to parochial school until the 8th grade, so I've BTDT. Lets just say I'd like to be proven wrong.

Now, how about them Harley's?
    My Motorrad