Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

From what I've been told by some CHP officers I know, their recent switch to Harleys was almost entirely financial. BMW cuts them no breaks in the price and outfitting a state agency with $25k+ bikes is not good for the budget. He wasn't able to tell me what they are getting the Harleys for, but he said it was somewhere just barely above dealer cost, which is dramatically cheaper than the BMWs. While the BMW clutches are a hassle to repair, that cost is nowhere near the fleet cost of buying new vehicles. Considering I've seen CHP 1150s still in service with 150k on them, they are in need of new bikes.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    From what I've been told by some CHP officers I know, their recent switch to Harleys was almost entirely financial. BMW cuts them no breaks in the price and outfitting a state agency with $25k+ bikes is not good for the budget. He wasn't able to tell me what they are getting the Harleys for, but he said it was somewhere just barely above dealer cost, which is dramatically cheaper than the BMWs. While the BMW clutches are a hassle to repair, that cost is nowhere near the fleet cost of buying new vehicles. Considering I've seen CHP 1150s still in service with 150k on them, they are in need of new bikes.
    I thought CHP went back to BMWs??? I heard it wasn"t about the cost it was about the Governor who wanted them riding Harley's. I remember when I wanted to switch to BMW, there were a few other motor officers, they made us go through all these testing, meetings, and bid crap, but when a new ranking officer wanted Harley, he just snapped his finger, don't look at the data that I had collect over 10 years to show that BMW where cheaper to operate.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    From what I've been told by some CHP officers I know, their recent switch to Harleys was almost entirely financial. .
    That is what it all boils down to. The operating costs for a BMW is just too high. The PDs have the same problem all BMW riders have. Too few dealers and too high prices for parts and service. The few municipalities that use BMWs have higher budgets and/or manage to find ways to run the bikes at lower costs.

2013 info on Michigan State Police Bike/Car testing program

I have not read this 2013 report yet as I just found it. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...6274--,00.html Motorcycle testing begins on page 88.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    I can't find the full report performed by the Michigan State Police when their contract with Harley-Davidson expired and they evaluated the latest offerings from top manufacturers. Here's an article that reports some of their findings and suffice it to say they are rolling on brand new R1200RTs: http://www.policemag.com/blog/vehicl...t-results.aspx.

Kent
    I believe I found the complete report here. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...m_406312_7.pdf

Motorcycle results start on page 88.
    2004 R1150RT 151,500 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,000 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 386,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle of Harley vs BMW is ergonomics. Its just too hard for most cops to get their leg up over the seat of a BMW. The low seat height of a Harley is a blessing for those with a large gut.
    It's also a problem for folks with short inseams. The police departments no longer have a minimum height requirement like they once did. When my old R1200CLC dies, I will probably have to leave BMW because they don't sell anything with a seat height I am comfortable with.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

They do sell lowered RT's now. I sat on one in the dealer. It felt weird compared to my regular RT, but I could sure flat foot it!

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    I believe I found the complete report here. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...m_406312_7.pdf

Motorcycle results start on page 88.
    Be sure to look at the 0-60 and 0-100MPH times! No, that's not a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    That is what it all boils down to. The operating costs for a BMW is just too high. The PDs have the same problem all BMW riders have. Too few dealers and too high prices for parts and service. The few municipalities that use BMWs have higher budgets and/or manage to find ways to run the bikes at lower costs.
    I do not see how that is true. BMW run double on maintenance, 6000 miles vs. 2500 service. And if you have a good fleet manager they can negate a contact with either maintenance included, lower hourly rate, and percent cap on parts. We had an awesome partnership with our BMWs and dealership. RIP Dusty Miller...............
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    I do not see how that is true. BMW run double on maintenance, 6000 miles vs. 2500 service. And if you have a good fleet manager they can negate a contact with either maintenance included, lower hourly rate, and percent cap on parts. We had an awesome partnership with our BMWs and dealership. RIP Dusty Miller...............
    May be for the HD, but there's Honda and Kawasaki too and now Victory. Lots of choices out there for the motorcop.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

BMW Rider
    H-D 2,500 mile service intervals have been history for many years. H-D service intervals are 5k apart. Having been involved with both H-D and BMW police bikes I give the nod to cost to H-D. I have no numbers to back this up but I have a feeling if you take the purchase price and H-D maintenance costs and compare to BMW H-D is going to win.

Of course, H-D is no match to BMW whatsoever. Given the increased level of safety with a BMW I would hope most municipalities are looking at this from more than pure cost. IMO most municipalities would be better off buying BMW as opposed to H-D despite any theoretical price differences either in unit price and/or cost of operations. The folks riding these types of units deserve the best safety package it can possibly afford. And, H-D is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    H-D 2,500 mile service intervals have been history for many years. H-D service intervals are 5k apart. Having been involved with both H-D and BMW police bikes I give the nod to cost to H-D. I have no numbers to back this up but I have a feeling if you take the purchase price and H-D maintenance costs and compare to BMW H-D is going to win.

Of course, H-D is no match to BMW whatsoever. Given the increased level of safety with a BMW I would hope most municipalities are looking at this from more than pure cost. IMO most municipalities would be better off buying BMW as opposed to H-D despite any theoretical price differences either in unit price and/or cost of operations. The folks riding these types of units deserve the best safety package it can possibly afford. And, H-D is not it.
    That was back from 96-00 is when we had HDs. Our maintenance was cheaper, but then Dusty Miller owner/operator was a retired cop, who owned the dealership. He took care of us and what I was told pretty much gave the RTP away, and the more I post about this I am starting to believe he took very very very good care for us.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    They do sell lowered RT's now. I sat on one in the dealer. It felt weird compared to my regular RT, but I could sure flat foot it!
    I would wager that they don't make a lowered RT-P. I tried a lowered RT and it was better but still felt uncomfortable to me. You're clearly have a longer inseam.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Too add salt to this thread I was able to ride 2013 Harley with 104 new improvements and it sucked. My left arm was hurting/tired from that cable clutch. I am so sorry and will take a RTP. Rode the Honda too and that was just riding a hot hot hot machine. The gas tank heats up on in the 100 degree Florida heat and bags are a joke for police work.... Again wish BMW got more involved with Police motorcycle and I will help. ..............
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Too add salt to this thread I was able to ride 2013 Harley with 104 new improvements and it sucked. My left arm was hurting/tired from that cable clutch. I am so sorry and will take a RTP. Rode the Honda too and that was just riding a hot hot hot machine. The gas tank heats up on in the 100 degree Florida heat and bags are a joke for police work.... Again wish BMW got more involved with Police motorcycle and I will help. ..............
    Have you ridden a C14 or Victory?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19