Thread: K 1200 RS transmission rear output seal problems

K 1200 RS transmission rear output seal problems

I am having a hard time getting the output seal on the transmission to stop leaking. Replaced the seal, and it still leaks. Any suggestions?

That should be the same seal as on the K1200LT a 25x40x6 (Yup checked the parts list). I have had better success with a Timken 25x40x7 (My Napa parts guys order them from a jobber some where) but the depth you install it is critical. Here is a tool my machinist made me for installing them correctly. Best to install dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
    That should be the same seal as on the K1200LT a 25x40x6 (Yup checked the parts list). I have had better success with a Timken 25x40x7 (My Napa parts guys order them from a jobber some where) but the depth you install it is critical. Here is a tool my machinist made me for installing them correctly. Best to install dry.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken BMW released a revised tool to drive this seal to a different depth than the original. Check with your dealer for further info.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Also, if I'm not mistaken BMW released a revised tool to drive this seal to a different depth than the original. Check with your dealer for further info.

Thanks for the info but my tool was not based on the factory tool just a depth I prefer validated with an open tranny case to set sealing lip placement on the shaft. Plus the Timken seal has two lips vs. the factory seal's one. I have installed several at this depth with no issue. But next time I am at a dealer with my calipers I'll check their tool.