Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMW apparel

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    Is it a little surprising that a BMW rep doesn't read questions like this and comment? I've been very happy with my BMW gear over many years. I wish they wouldn't make me beg. And why don't they put apparel ads in the magazine? They want us to beg for it first.
    Welcome to the forums.

Not surprising at all. The few times that's happened on forums I frequent (and not all of them are BMW bike forums) - whoever responded gets deluged with every complaint anyone ever had about the company they represent.

Just curious, how long have you been an MOA member? BMW has certainly put apparel ads in the Owners News in the past. It seemed like they wanted to sell stuff to us. I suspect BMW-Motorrad-USA runs hot and cold on apparel - at times they had travelling trailers with fashion shows, at other times it just seems to get stagnant and a small supply is pushed onto the dealers and the dealers are expected to market it. The last apparel manager I knew was a real enthusiast and real rider, and he would solicit ideas for new gear when he met people in person. He is no longer with BMW and I don't know who (if anyone) took his place.

As Randy pointed out - part of the problem BMW-Motorrad-USA has is the competition. It IS excellent, especially almost anything from RiderWarehouse (Aerostich parent company) and the prices while not inexpensive, are a bargain when the actual functionality and long-term use of the garment is considered. Since RiderWarehouse offers repair services and custom fits for most of their products, that makes it even harder for BMW to sell a competing product at an even higher price without those benefits. The BMW stuff is nice - but they don't really make a lot for the average US BMW rider, they seem to pattern them on slender-tall euro BMW riders.

FWIW - instead of begging for it - visit RiderWarehouse's website and ask for a catalog. You'll find some very good and functional stuff there at fair prices, with most of it made in the USA.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Not surprising at all. The few times that's happened on forums I frequent (and not all of them are BMW bike forums) - whoever responded gets deluged with every complaint anyone ever had about the company they represent.

Just curious, how long have you been an MOA member? BMW has certainly put apparel ads in the Owners News in the past. It seemed like they wanted to sell stuff to us. I suspect BMW-Motorrad-USA runs hot and cold on apparel - at times they had travelling trailers with fashion shows, at other times it just seems to get stagnant and a small supply is pushed onto the dealers and the dealers are expected to market it. The last apparel manager I knew was a real enthusiast and real rider, and he would solicit ideas for new gear when he met people in person. He is no longer with BMW and I don't know who (if anyone) took his place.

As Randy pointed out - part of the problem BMW-Motorrad-USA has is the competition. It IS excellent, especially almost anything from RiderWarehouse (Aerostich parent company) and the prices while not inexpensive, are a bargain when the actual functionality and long-term use of the garment is considered. Since RiderWarehouse offers repair services and custom fits for most of their products, that makes it even harder for BMW to sell a competing product at an even higher price without those benefits. The BMW stuff is nice - but they don't really make a lot for the average US BMW rider, they seem to pattern them on slender-tall euro BMW riders.

FWIW - instead of begging for it - visit RiderWarehouse's website and ask for a catalog. You'll find some very good and functional stuff there at fair prices, with most of it made in the USA.
    +1 on Aerostich!
    '02 R1150RT

smross44

One Word

Klim......

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by smross44 View Post
    Klim......
    Ooohh boy... now that's a good choice!!

I'm considering Rev'It! on my next big purchase.

tsp
    http://www.airheadmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Just curious, how long have you been an MOA member?

I've been a member for about 30 years. A lot of good it's done me. How much does that come to in dues! Just kidding. It has done me a lot of good and I've always been happy to pay. I like RidersWarehouse but the suits look like they're for snowmobiles. My Savanna 2 suit is really motorcycle. I like to see all my options and I've been real happy with my BMW gear. I didn't think it would be this hard seeing as I would ride to almost any dealer, that's all the reason I need to hit the road.

Thanks for all your help.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    I've been a member for about 30 years. A lot of good it's done me. How much does that come to in dues! Just kidding. It has done me a lot of good and I've always been happy to pay. I like RidersWarehouse but the suits look like they're for snowmobiles. My Savanna 2 suit is really motorcycle. I like to see all my options and I've been real happy with my BMW gear. I didn't think it would be this hard seeing as I would ride to almost any dealer, that's all the reason I need to hit the road.

Thanks for all your help.
    Agreed. BMW apparel is good stuff!

Darien Pants:)

I just got a new set of Darien's Lights from Aerostitch as a Fathers Day gift. I mix and match most of my riding gear, from Olympic Jacket to Dariens and it all works really swell. First Gear too, Kilimanjaro as a best ever jacket I've had since the 80s when it got intro'd. Man those early ones were and still are a GREAT jacket if you still have one of those. I do. Snowmobile look! Yes, many say that about the Roadcrafters, BUT how many do you see being used??? MORE than anything used on the planet, those suits are bought bigtime still. The options are huge at Aerostitch, so don't dismiss their presence for pretty biker gear. Their top dollar leather suit is right there with BMW. Don't know who can afford those, BUT nice??? Cant wait to get my Darien Lights, 200denier/Gortex weight class for 3 season wear, as I do not like mesh pants. Randy