Thread: Stebel Horn - 08 RT

KevinRT

Stebel Horn - 08 RT

I am considering either installing a Stebel air horn or the dual BMW horns from an 2005 model. I probably want to go with the Stebel but am wondering if one can give a more modest warning or if the horn is activated at full blast each and every time. Sometimes it's appropriate for just a little warning, and sometimes it's better to make them think it's coming from a transport truck. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

I have one on R1200S. It is great here in Phoenix/Scottsdale and on I-10. Truck drivers hear it.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

How difficult was it to install? I'd like a louder horn on both my bikes.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Was easy for me, but had the cannister removed already (that's where horn went) and a fusebox to connect it.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Exclamation another horn option -

www.screaming-banshee.com

Airhorn and flashes headlights.
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Just a touch...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRT View Post
    I am considering either installing a Stebel air horn or the dual BMW horns from an 2005 model. I probably want to go with the Stebel but am wondering if one can give a more modest warning or if the horn is activated at full blast each and every time. Sometimes it's appropriate for just a little warning, and sometimes it's better to make them think it's coming from a transport truck. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
    I had the same concern. However, I find that a soft blip of the horn button produces a sound that is "friendly"...however, the "steam ship in the kitchen" sound is there as well.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    How difficult was it to install? I'd like a louder horn on both my bikes.
    The electrical work was easy on my '06 1200GS. However, finding an easy way to mount the horn took some doing...had to track down a bracket that's no longer produced. Also, the install required some familiarity with relays in order to use the OEM horn button, which is not, as I understand it, capable of handling the current that the Steibel horn requires.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRT View Post

Thanks!
    Pretty easy - if all you want to do is alert the other vehicle/pedestrian you are here then a tap on the Stebel button will alert them. If someone is in need of a wake-up [texting cellphone drivers for example] then a 2-second blast should get their attention.

On both bikes with pleasure.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >165K miles; '07 RT w/ >140K miles

LD blog: www.ppldma.com

KevinRT
    Thanks to Bob and Peter. That's the info I was looking for. One doesn't always want to sound like a Mack truck!
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada