Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting bike on centerstand with lowered shocks

Caution Flag Up!

Greetings
    In following the posts I noticed on poster mentioned his center stand would "scrape" on his lowered bike at lean angles. That is an extremely dangerous situation. In a turn a solid item like a center stand attached to the frame that touches pavement will lift the rear wheel thus crashing the bike! That's why footpegs are hinged. That's also why there are so many safety devices around getting the side stand up before moving. Anything thats solid that contacts at lean angles has got to be removed before operating the bike. Unless of course your not intending to lean, in which case you should consider going to a sidecar.
    It's dangerous enough out there on to wheels, don't expand the danger with ill thought out mods.
    Safety First
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRT View Post
    My bike has been lowered 1" and I am now having difficulty getting the bike onto the centrestand. I only use the centrestand when I park it behind my car in its usual spot or when servicing it. I have read that placing a board under the front or back wheel will make this a lot easier. I am wondering how to do this. Is the front or back wheel or does it matter? Do you set the boards so that when the bike gets up onto the centrestand that the boards are no longer under the wheel?

It's not about technique - I know how to get a bike on the centrestand but now I really struggle with the lowered bike. I want to make sure I get this right as I obviously do not wish to pitch the bike over on its side.

Thanks!
    Kevin,
    I just got my 1 inch springs installed on my 2005 RT. I'm able to get it on the center stand, but it is more difficult. Wunderlich America has a handle that attachs in front of the case. They also side case crash bars that provide a good place to grab. I have not installed either on my bike, but I'm considering getting the both rear and front crash bars.
    2005 R1200RT

KevinRT
    Quote Originally Posted by droptine View Post
    Kevin,
    I just got my 1 inch springs installed on my 2005 RT. I'm able to get it on the center stand, but it is more difficult. Wunderlich America has a handle that attachs in front of the case. They also side case crash bars that provide a good place to grab. I have not installed either on my bike, but I'm considering getting the both rear and front crash bars.
    Don't bother with the side handle. I tried it and sold it as it was much worse than grabbing the passenger side rails.

With advice taken, I ditched the two by fours and found a small board maybe 3/8" thick and just that little bit under the rear wheel made popping it up on the centrestand really easy. I definitely do not want to spend the bucks on a new centrestand. I can't imagine scraping the centrestand even with the bike lowered - I'm not, and have never been, boy-racer.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Issue solved!
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Greetings
    In following the posts I noticed one poster mentioned his center stand would "scrape" on his lowered bike at lean angles. That is an extremely dangerous situation.
    Hence the longer feelers on the driver's footpegs, right?

BMW solutions are engineered; shade tree solutions usually not so much.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

If I had a lowered bike, and if I travelled anywhere I might get a flat tire, and if I didn't want to haul lumber around; then I would get another centerstand and have a professional welder shorten it appropriately. I would keep my original centerstand so when I sold or traded the bike, it would be simple to restore the bike to un-lowered condition.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Good Morning Kevin! Having a bike lowered by 1/2" and experiencing your centre stand dilemma, I would suggest that first you start with a little less board than a 2/x4; you might find this just a little too high. I'd start with maybe a one inch board. However, I do not believe anyone mentioned having a board in place for your side stand. Without this board, your bike will lean precariously to the left when you dismount. My trick has been to have the side stand and rear board in place in my garage and simply ride over it with the front tire and stop when the rear wheel rides onto to it. Something wider that a two by four makes for an easier target to stop on. When parking my K bike backwards in the garage (slight uphill in the garage), I'll use a tapered piece of 2x12x18. It is easy to get the bike onto the centre stand but more of pain getting it off as it still sits on the board.

Best of luck.
    Actually - if the sidestand hasn't been shortened, the lower suspension means the bike leans LESS rather than more. It can cause a problem parallel parking on a crowned road (you learn to back it into the space so it's perpendicular to the curb..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Greetings
    In following the posts I noticed on poster mentioned his center stand would "scrape" on his lowered bike at lean angles. That is an extremely dangerous situation. In a turn a solid item like a center stand attached to the frame that touches pavement will lift the rear wheel thus crashing the bike! That's why footpegs are hinged. That's also why there are so many safety devices around getting the side stand up before moving. Anything thats solid that contacts at lean angles has got to be removed before operating the bike. Unless of course your not intending to lean, in which case you should consider going to a sidecar.
    It's dangerous enough out there on to wheels, don't expand the danger with ill thought out mods.
    Safety First
    Will,

I agree - safety first.. but I wonder about this claim. I've measured a number of shorter suspension setups for lowering a bike. In only one case (my bike) is the minimum compressed shock distance different from the stock shock. What does change is the maximum fully extended shock distance, effectively lowering the seat/chassis when the suspension is fully extended.

What this means is the suspension can not compress any further than the standard suspension. That's the case with the BMW lowered suspension, Hyperpro and Wilbers. Ohlins AFAIK doesn't offer a lower suspension. Mine only compresses more due to a change in the design from how it came from Hyperpro, and it was done with my full knowledge that it could cause touchdown of a footpeg feeler earlier than a stock suspension if I was cornering vigorously. I have never been accused of cornering vigorously. I think if this poster did scrape the center stand (wonder how he missed the footpegs, they touch well before the centerstand ever would), I suspect he'd do the same with a stock suspension setup.

It is something to be aware of - and I don't suggest anyone do what I did (I did it for a very specific reason).. but all the shock makers I've encountered have taken that into account. There might be one or two who don't.. and in that case I'd ask what the minimum compressed shock length is - and compare it to stock.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Actually - if the sidestand hasn't been shortened, the lower suspension means the bike leans LESS rather than more. It can cause a problem parallel parking on a crowned road (you learn to back it into the space so it's perpendicular to the curb..)
    Don, I was referring to the side stand's lean angle when the rear wheel is sitting up on a board. On my K100RT, the lean angle increase considerably in this situation. On the street, not a problem.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Don, I was referring to the side stand's lean angle when the rear wheel is sitting up on a board. On my K100RT, the lean angle increase considerably in this situation. On the street, not a problem.
    Hi Paul,

Sorry - that wasn't clear to me. Although if the board is only as thick as the amount the suspension was lowered - the lean angle should be the same as a bike with a standard suspension.

Best,

Center stand '06 RT

On a loaded bike with lowered suspension try putting a 14" piece of 1.5" PVC tubing on the center stand lever. Pack when you go on a tour. Try it after you get done laughing!!!!