Thread: Navigator IV GPS microSD card requirements/limits?

Navigator IV GPS microSD card requirements/limits?

Anyone know what the requirements or limits for the add on microSD card for the Navigator IV GPS. Is there a maximum size you can use? is there a minimum or maximum class that one can use?

Thanks

I know nothing specific: but I'd say class 10. Size???
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Class 10 is fine, but hold the memory size to more than 8 gig. Anymore than that and you may run into trouble. I tried a 32 gig and it was not well received at all. So far, no problems with the 8 gig. Same unit as a Garmin 660 internally. I just bought one of those for another one of my bikes and it says 8 gig is max.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Exerting lots of effort (you should thank me) I opened up my Nav IV Owner's Manual and found the answer on page 42.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    Class 10 is fine, but hold the memory size to more than 8 gig. Anymore than that and you may run into trouble. I tried a 32 gig and it was not well received at all. So far, no problems with the 8 gig. Same unit as a Garmin 660 internally. I just bought one of those for another one of my bikes and it says 8 gig is max.
    On one of the Zumo specific forums this has been discussed, and in general - reports are that the 660's will reliably read 16Gb cards if you have the latest firmware update. This update fixed the problem where the Zumo would sometimes not find MP3 files saved on the memory card. In general - a good rule of thumb for laying out your MP3 structure is:

\\root\mp3\album-title\track, track, track, etc - with a max of about 15 tracks per album.

This allows for faster indexing of the MP3 tracks. I currently have 2,700 tracks saved on an 8Gb microSD card, and while there is a startup delay of about 60-90 seconds before my map images appear, everything else works quite reliably finally. There is a matching updated firmware for the NAV-IV that fixes the same problem (I believe it's version 2.90 - but I don't have a NAV-IV to check that on, I did do an update of a friends after he bricked it with his Mac trying to do an update.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Thanks for the info. I went with a class 10, 16 GB. So far no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by damons View Post
    Anyone know what the requirements or limits for the add on microSD card for the Navigator IV GPS. Is there a maximum size you can use? is there a minimum or maximum class that one can use?

Thanks
    If you use Garmin BaseCamp and wish to store data on the SD card... a 4 GB is recommended, but many use up to 8 GB....
    in order to quickly draw the data needed to display.

Hope this helps.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"