Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1977 'garage find' R100s

Mike:

I would suggest that the first order of business on your new bike is to service the clutch splines, because if these are dry, a lot of damage can result.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Mike:

I would suggest that the first order of business on your new bike is to service the clutch splines, because if these are dry, a lot of damage can result.
    Yes, it is on the list.
    "When 'ifs' and 'buts' become 'candy' and 'nuts' oh what a world it will be!"

UPDDATE - 1977 R100s

Well, the project has begun - below is a list of what I have done the past couple of weeks and what I still want to do. Any suggestions of additional items or thoughts are welcomed. Keep in mind, this bike has been in storage for some 25 years, but was stored in a (relatively) moisture free environment (in a garage, covered in Michigan). Cosmetically, the bike looks nearly new, no rust and it is CLEAN!

Accomplished so far -

1. New tires installed - Michelin Pilot Activ's. Tried to do the job myself with tires irons. although the old tires looked almost new, the rubber was so hard and non pliable I was worried that I was going to bend or tweak the rims trying to get them off. So to the shop and had them done on a No Mar. Wheel bearings look good.
    2. Front Brakes - my cousin put a block in the front brake lever prior to shipping, he was afraid that the calipers might lock up if actuated immobilizing the bike. I removed the tank, grabbed a handful of brake lever, and after a couple of tries it broke free. Fluid was of course, dirty (but no visual debris) master cylinder wasn't leaking, but calipers/pucks were dragging, not releasing completely. I removed the wheel and brake pads, and manually pushed the pucks as far back into the calipers as possible. The thought being to break loose any debris that might be preventing them from releasing. Then I flushed the system (I didn't really notice any debris coming out of the system) and now good brake lever feel and pressure, and the wheel only has a 'slight' drag. It will do about 1/2 to one revolution before stopping when I spin it. I am hoping it will free up more when I get it on the street ride it and use the brakes. If that situation doesn't improve, I plan on rebuilding the calipers. I have ordered and will install new Gaffer SS brake lines. I will keep me eyes open for leaks and although the master cylinder isn't leaking I am thinking I will rebuild the master cylinder just to be on the safe side - a rebuild kit is around $70.
    3. Rebuilt fuel petcocks. Actually I ended up replacing them with new ones as I screwed up the body (threads) of one of the petcocks trying to re-install the fuel position lever - damn those springs. Again, not too bad price wise, the petcocks were $40 per side. Also, replaced the fuel lines with new braided lines. Also, installed in-line gas filters per Snowbum's and others suggestions. A plus is the new style petcock has a much better/larger filter screen that inserts into the gas tank, unlike my originals which had a very small filter screen on the outflow nipple of the petcock.
    4. Rebuilt the both Bing Carbs. Bought the 'how to' video from Bing along with the rebuild kits. The Video was great and made the job easy. The rebuild kits (#6's - complete kits) were outrageously priced from Bing ($210 - if I remember correctly). I hear they may be a little cheaper through the dealer although I haven't checked with Irv Seaver's - my 'go to' dealership. At any rate, carb rebuild went smoothly and hopefully the bike will start OK. I know tweaking and carb balancing will be in order, but hopefully the recommended set up will get her started OK.
    5. Removed exhaust nuts/flanges, came off with no problem. Applied copper anti-seize and tightened them back up.

What I need to do:
    1. This weekend I plan on pulling the trans to lube the clutch/shaft splines.
    2. Change fork oil.
    3. Change all fluids trans, oil & filter, driveshaft and rear end. My cousin put fresh oil in her when he stored her, but again that was 25 yrs. ago.
    4. Check points and timing.
    5. Adjust valves.

So that's about it. What am I forgetting? Any additional suggestions? Maybe this weekend (hopefully by next weekend for sure) I will bring the beast to life after her long sleep.

photo RestorationJune201310_zps2dadf3b9.jpg
     photo RestorationJune20138_zpsf796f57e.jpg
     photo 011_zps38886617.jpg
     photo IMG_0451_zps8e87baf9.jpg
     photo 246641_542855505758328_596831298_n_zpsb2c27b00.jpg
    Last edited by mikeyork5; 07-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Be SURE to get new wheel seals, and get those bearings out, thoroughly cleaned and new grease.

Grease the rear wheel spline at the same time.

Change all fluids thoroughly, including front forks, brake fluid, obviously engine, transmission, driveshaft, and final drive.

You have a GREAT looking bike, both of the ones in the thread.

The only problem with Mike Simon's bike is the ugly nut connected to the handlebars!

His wife is the one trying to get the bike sold off, and then he is next.

Beautiful bike. I have a feeling once it's up and running you won't be disappointed.

In May picked up a 1994 R100R Mystic that sat in storage for 7 years. After going through many of the steps you are, the bike is a blast to ride. I can't stop smiling every time I throw a leg over it. I've now added about 1200 miles to the odometer without an issue. The carbs were my biggest problem due to a poor shade tree mechanic in the past. (Enrichers in upside down, one butterfly mis-aligned and not closing completely and a few other issues.)

Take your time an pay attention to detail - you are on the right track. The results will be your reward.

Best of luck.
    MSF Instructor
    1994 R100R Mystic
    2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
    1979 Harley FLH

Let's go for a ride

Mike,

Bike looks great. Can't wait to see it in person and go for a ride together. I've got mine sorted out and I'm enjoying the airhead experience.

TINK
    RSD_PROJECT-S_23b_resize.jpg

S

Can you email a photo of bicycle?
    if you are interested a friend knows everything about vintage bicycles.

I also just drove a 1978 S home that is in line for Inspection what I got.

Well - completed the final items on the 'To Do' list to get the bike on the road. My friend, Brian Tinkler (owns the beautifully restored 1979 RT - transformed into an 'S' by him above, and knowledgeable wrench/airhead) - offered his services and stopped by the house Saturday. I was planning on pulling the trans to lube the clutch splines. It was suggested (by Brian and Valdi at Valdi's Motozone) that since the trans will be out might as well replace the rear main seal and oil pump 'O' ring - since the bike has been in non operational status for so long. Thanks again to Brian's expertise, and assistance (he did most of the work) these tasks were accomplished Saturday by around noon. I put things all back together, changed all the fluids, and Sunday morning fired the beast up. What a sight when I installed the battery and turned the key on and the electrics came to life after a 25 yr. hibernation, beautiful. She fired up relative quickly, blew a lot of carbon our of the pipes, there was quite a bit of soot covering the garage floor. I rode her briefly down to the gas station (no plates or registration yet) to get some gas in her. She didn't run all that well though (at idle and low RPM's), and it is carb related. I rebuilt both of the carbs and set them up with basic stings, per Bing instructions. The bike when warm idled too fast and was slow to drop RPM's when the throttle was released - the trouble shooting section in the Bing Manual states that this is probably due to an air/vacuum leak (usually at the cylinder side of the carb). Everything looks as though it is tight and leak free. Over 3,000 RPM she seemed to run well - I realize this is on the main jet vs. the idle jet. I need to visit Snowbum's site and do a little research. Any suggestions for this rookie?

Also, when cleaning up found the work area found the below two rubber pieces (both are rubber), any idea where they are from. Did see them when we were taking things apart, might have been on the floor and come from something else. At any rate, I'm getting real close to having this beauty on the road in her former glory real soon!

photo 2013-07-1406_54_00_zps54c47f20.jpg
     photo 2013-07-1406_53_18_zps2fdc0132.jpg
     photo 2013-07-1414_04_55_zps7e2e20b7.jpg

Was anyone "helping" you work on the bike? I once "helped" a friend rebuild a carb from a Mustang. I had a few carb parts left over from rebuilding other carbs, so I snuck a few in his pile of parts on the floor. After I left he spent a hour trying to remember where those parts went, I never did tell him about it. That said, I do not recognize those parts from any BMW that I have owned.

Wayne

I don't think the rubber parts are off of the bike - I have 3 kids so who knows. As far as the carb rebuild I did them myself. I bought the rebuild kits along with the Bing Manual and a 'How To' DVD from Bing. Actually, the rebuild was pretty simple with the step by step in the DVD. Anybody with a modicum of mechanical ability could do it IMHO, with the DVD, a few basic tools, and a gallon of carb/parts cleaner. Now getting the carbs set up, another story - will keep you posted on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyork5 View Post
    I don't think the rubber parts are off of the bike - I have 3 kids so who knows. As far as the carb rebuild I did them myself. I bought the rebuild kits along with the Bing Manual and a 'How To' DVD from Bing. Actually, the rebuild was pretty simple with the step by step in the DVD. Anybody with a modicum of mechanical ability could do it IMHO, with the DVD, a few basic tools, and a gallon of carb/parts cleaner. Now getting the carbs set up, another story - will keep you posted on that one.
    Did you remove butterfly & replace oring?
    I believe it was a oring, never went that far curious if that is doable with DVD or manual.

Quote Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
    I believe it was a oring, never went that far curious if that is doable with DVD or manual.
    Yes, removed the butterfly and replaced O ring - was relatively easy to do. Again, well explained and demonstrated in the DVD. I took the carbs completely apart and reassembled with #6 (complete) rebuild kits from Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
    I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Yes, if you don't get the butterfly installed properly, it could be a problem. But, I don't think it's that difficult to do. It takes time and patience. I typically stare at the sky (on a bright day), and keep adjusting the butterfly until I see no or next to no light coming through around the sides. I keep pressure on the butterfly so it won't move, then I install the screws. I check again to make sure that the butterfly didn't move. It's a bit time consuming, but it's pretty straight forward.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Bing

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Yes, if you don't get the butterfly installed properly, it could be a problem. But, I don't think it's that difficult to do. It takes time and patience. I typically stare at the sky (on a bright day), and keep adjusting the butterfly until I see no or next to no light coming through around the sides. I keep pressure on the butterfly so it won't move, then I install the screws. I check again to make sure that the butterfly didn't move. It's a bit time consuming, but it's pretty straight forward.
    Thanks have always avoided that butterfly will get the kit & DVD.