Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1977 'garage find' R100s

1977 'garage find' R100s

I wrote about this last year, that is my intent to buy my cousins 1977 R100s, well I pulled the trigger a few months ago (we agreed on $4k and I sent him a check) and I finally arranged the shipping from Michigan to Calif., the truck arrived early this morning.

First of all I also shipped out my old bicycle I had as a kid - got it for my birthday when I was 10(?). As you can see, my old bicycle 'Silver King' is in rough shape. I figured I would ship it out as well along with the bike when I found out mu brother actually had the bicycle, I thought it was long gone. I found out it is evidently a unique and collectable bicycle. It has an aluminum frame and the rest of it WAS chrome. As you can see it is missing the rear fender (I have the seat) and I am thinking of doing (or having it done) a complete restoration. There are a few currently on Ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 ) priced from $3,200 to $9,500 - can you believe that?

Now for the BMW - can you believe it? Check out the pictures, it looks ALMOST like it should be sitting on the showroom floor and it is a 1977 BMW R100s with ONLY 11,600 miles on it. My cousin bought it in 1982, rode it sparingly for a few years, then put it in storage in his garage for the next 25 years. I have wanted one of these old 'airheads' for some time and have particularly wanted this one as I know my cousin has always been meticulous with his machines.

I am anticipating the 'restoration' will be quick and painless (Lord, I AM NOT challenging you on that one) you guys know a lot better than I what I may be in store for, I will keep you posted. Over the last few months I have collected most of the basics, shop manual, plugs, filters, fluids, BING carb rebuild kits (with 'How to" DVD), tires, battery, and some other odds and ends. Unbelievable addition to the herd - I'm excited. Will report on my progress. Did I do good?

Regards,

Mike

Last edited by mikeyork5; 06-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.

nc bmw driver
    Yes, VERY good.

Hope god doesn't have a sense of humor.

Great buy

If the mechanical condition matches the way it looks, I'd say you paid fair money. I "restored" my 77 r100rs last year which had 17k miles on it. Did the same thing you are planning, though I sent the carbs to Bing for rebuilding (I know my limitations!). I have owned the bike since '82, it's been in the family since '79. Great bikes, simple to work on. Just do what you have planned, I would probably do the push rod tube seals if there is any sign of oil weeping, because these seals degrade with time. But beware if you have the internal circlip on the piston for the connecting rod. These are easy to get off, but a b---ch to get back on. Buy a couple extras in case you bend one, etc. reconnecting. A great walk-through is provided at http://www.pbase.com/dqmohan/prtseals. When I got done with everything, I did take it to my local airhead mechanic for final fine tuning. Runs like new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That sure is a beautiful bike. I wish I could get my hands on a classic boxer in that condition.

Best of luck with the restore.

Scot

Nickname: Droid
    WOW!!! That is a beautiful classic, a find for sure! Good for you! You have a great start and some good ideas, on your way to a classic keeper/rider. How could your cousin NOT ride such a beauty? But all the better for you.

I still have my 76 R100RS that I bought on a whim/find in lower Michigan while on a business trip. Hauled it home in the cab of the fire truck I was test driving/driving home.

You could have done better. If you park it in front of the house we'll pick it up for you and take it over to Goodwill for you... ...

How 'bout a few shots of the bicycle in the back ground. What is it?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yes, you did good. Beautiful bike, enjoy it.

She's a real beauty - in addition to the carbs & maybe pushrod seals make sure to replace the fuel line!

You did good!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

That's a beauty; you're very lucky.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Make a list

Here is my $1.25 (inflation) regarding your new bike and what you my consider doing.
    1. Carefully remove the fuel tank and place it gently in a spot away from your work area.
    2. Inspect the front brake master cylinder for any and I mean any sign of a leaks.
    3. If the brakes have not been serviced in the last five years or so do the following to the front brakes. (A) remove all fluid. (B) remove master cylinder and rubber brake lines. (C) replace or rebuild master cylinder. (D) Instal new rubber or stainless steel flexible brake lines. (E) If the brakes have not been used or serviced in the last five years rebuild or replace the front calipers and replace the pads. (F) Bleed brakes and properly adjust front calipers.
    4. Remove starter cover and air filter housing and check for loose wires and rodent damage, correct as required and reinstall the covers.
    5. Replace fuel lines and install in-line filters, clean, rebuild and adjust carbs as needed.
    6. Inspect and clean (as needed) the inside of the fuel tank.
    7. Reinstall the fuel tank, connect all the fuel lines, add fuel and ensure fuel supply is good and not leaking.
    8. Check all oil levels and renew or adjust as required.
    9. Get a good fire extinguisher, install a good battery, move the bike out of the garage and fire it up.
    10. Look for leaks and listen for bad noises, if none are observed take it around the block.
    11. Bring it home, park it and shut it down.
    12. Bring a chair out and have a seat for 10 or 20 minutes while the bike cools off and does what they do after 25 years of sitting.
    13. Check all the oil levels and look for leaks or any other signs of problems with the bike.

If the test ride goes well and you don't find any significant problems with the bike throw a set of new tires and tubes on it and put a couple hundred gentle miles on it while paying close attention to all weird noises and issues. Carry a cell phone and have a plan in case you have to stop.

After 500 miles and no real issues give it a good going over, rebuild the carbs, replace the push rod seals and base gaskets, lube the splines and rebuild the front forks.

Its an absolutely gorgeous bike and it looks to be in showroom condition, you paid a high but very fair price for it. It doesn't need a restoration and it may need nothing more than a couple hundred in parts and a day or two of skinned knuckle, well thought out and limited labor.

*Don't over do it* instead enjoy it, fix whats urgent, make sure the ride is safe and most of all develop a feel for the bike so you know when something is wrong before your 60 miles from home and you have no signal on your cell phone.

Most of all enjoy the bike and the adventure in bringing it back to life and having it do what it was meant to do. Put a smile on some lucky persons face!!!

If you managed to stay awake I have revised my $1.25 worth, lets just say I over did it

Safe to say...

that you got a good deal and I am jealous! Enjoy.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 69ZEFF65 View Post
    After 500 miles and no real issues give it a good going over, rebuild the carbs, replace the push rod seals and base gaskets, lube the splines and rebuild the front forks.

you paid a high but very fair price for it.
    And after the 500 miles, you may find out that oil will seep out of the final drive vent becasue the input shaft seal is deteriorated and allows oil to migrate from the driveline into the final drive, making it flow over.

$4,000.- is not a high price for a R100S in that cosmetic condition. It is on the low end of the price range.
    I bought exactly the same bike (year, color, model) for $2,150.- after it had sat from 1996 to 2010. I put approx $2,000.- worth of parts, incl. a new exhaust, tires and a paint touch-up into it, and I have been offered $5,500.-

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    You could have done better. If you park it in front of the house we'll pick it up for you and take it over to Goodwill for you... ...

How 'bout a few shots of the bicycle in the back ground. What is it?
    It is a Monark Silver King - I got it for my 10th(?) birthday. I thought it was long gone (I moved to Calif in 75) but as the old man was about to throw it away my brother salvaged it and put it in his garage with the idea of restoring it and sending it out to me. Well he never got around to restoring it obviously, but he had it. About a year ago I thought about the bike (bicycle) and did a little research on line and found out some info about it. In part I found out that they appear to be somewhat collectable and valuable - if you go by Ebay prices. It is unique with a hex tube aluminum frame.I talked to my brother at that time and was telling him the story and he said "You know Mike, I have the Silver King in my garage". So, I arranged to have it shipped out with the BMW. Silver King will be restoration project #2.

Call Mike Wolfe of Antique Archeology (American Pickers). He could probably help.

(563) 265-3939

I had a '77 R100S in that same color scheme, only mine had an RS faring on it painted to match. I sold it last fall when I bought my R11RS. The gentleman I sold it to has done a frame up resto on it including new Nikasil cylinders, Del Orto carbs, real "S" fairing and has repainted it white with red stripes in a Motosport theme.

You paid a fairly premium price for a premium machine. You did fine in that aspect.

Keep the forum up to date on your efforts in getting her back on the street. This is good stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia