Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    Thanks for your post and for emailing the executives. My name is Randy Holdford and the vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208.
    It is amazing how just it only takes a few emails and social media post to get a corporations attention. I appreciate your help.
    Randy, the following has been sent to everyone involved:

Mr. Holdford has explained his unit's issues to those of us in the BMW MOA a number of times. I must say I feel the buy-back offer of $1,241.17 is inappropriate assuming Mr. Holdford's story is accurate.

As of today's date: Thursday, June 06, 2013 the retail value of his unit appears to far exceed BMW's buy-back offer as per both NADA and Kelley Blue Book. I am well aware there are many sources to arrive at supposed retail value of any given vehicle but at the same time your offer appears to be substantially low. These are numbers that I arrived at today:

As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740
    As per Kelley Blue Book, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $9,210

Assuming Mr. Holdford's story is an accurate one I feel the gentleman is entitled to a far more realistic offer of buy-back. Put yourselves into this gentleman's shoes and what he has gone through. Is this really the BMW way of handling issues for what appears to be a poorly manufactured product? I personally know of another gentleman (name can be provided upon request) that went through repeated seal failures as well on a R1200RT.

I assume it is not BMW's intent to sell defective product. When issues arise that appear to be the fault of the unit's production it would be appropriate to handle the issue in a moral and ethical manner. If a normal warranty repair doesn't do the job perhaps BMW needs to investigate and do what is right. After all if BMW NA/BMW AG feels it is inappropriate to expense out such a repair can you image what the customer feels like?

In closing, if this gentleman is telling the truth I feel it is the correct thing to do in order to reimburse him a market-justified refund. It is my sincere hope that you will come to the conclusion that handling this issue in a respectable manner is something that is morally and ethically the correct thing to do.

Thank you for your consideration.

Billy Walker

Randy, I wish you the best but fear the worst. If you are able to get market value for the motorcycle you are THE man!! Best of luck!

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    That is good news if it means we can stop reading about it in this forum.
    Although I think Mr. Christensen's comment here is uncalled for maybe we can make an effort to please him. Perhaps the MOA membership can put some type of arbitration board together that would be willing to work with BMW NA (I know... will BMW NA reciprocate). People have stated that I am very much pro-dealer and nothing could be further from the truth. I am pro-morally ethical in decision making and resolution on both sides of the fence. Both BMW and the customer need to be fair to each other.

I have stated many times if you have a dealer who fails to resolve an issue you need to make the dealer aware of it. If the dealer and/or BMW NA cannot resolve an issue after 3 to 5 attempts I feel it is fair to go beyond the norm for the customer and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Dealers can, do and will always make mistakes from time to time. Same goes for BMW NA. Same goes for a customer. The parties need to be honest with one another and fix the problem. Customers need to nip the problem in the bud and get those problem units back to the dealer as quickly as possible in an attempt to get them repaired quickly. I feel 3 attempts is more than fair but I'm trying to accommodate the OEM as well as sometimes things can head in unwanted directions. Hopefully everyone involved in the process would agree that 5 attempts to repair is more than fair.

Mistakes and the inability to perform proper repair and/or monetary reimbursement is one thing. However, when an OEM knowingly passes off defective product (example: fuel strips) there needs to be legal repercussions such as jail time for the decision maker. And, for people under that individual's command as well. The only way a corporation gets away with this type of scenario is because employees carried it out for management. It astounds me that a company such as BMW gets away with this type of action. Does the majority of the customer base actually think distributing defective product is an acceptable way to run a business?

It's a shame that something like this has to be even mentioned. You would hope a major corporation would simply do what is right in order to take care of their customer base. It is so incredibly easy to ignore the people that need help.

Once the arbitration board is in place we could make it a rule where all the belly aching is brought to a halt on the forum. Complaints need to be run through the arbitration board. The end result would hopefully appease Mr. Christensen.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Although I think Mr. Christensen's comment here is uncalled for maybe we can make an effort to please him. Perhaps the MOA membership can put some type of arbitration board together that would be willing to work with BMW NA (I know... will BMW NA reciprocate). People have stated that I am very much pro-dealer and nothing could be further from the truth. I am pro-morally ethical in decision making and resolution on both sides of the fence. Both BMW and the customer need to be fair to each other.

I have stated many times if you have a dealer who fails to resolve an issue you need to make the dealer aware of it. If the dealer and/or BMW NA cannot resolve an issue after 3 to 5 attempts I feel it is fair to go beyond the norm for the customer and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Dealers can, do and will always make mistakes from time to time. Same goes for BMW NA. Same goes for a customer. The parties need to be honest with one another and fix the problem. Customers need to nip the problem in the bud and get those problem units back to the dealer as quickly as possible in an attempt to get them repaired quickly. I feel 3 attempts is more than fair but I'm trying to accommodate the OEM as well as sometimes things can head in unwanted directions. Hopefully everyone involved in the process would agree that 5 attempts to repair is more than fair.

Mistakes and the inability to perform proper repair and/or monetary reimbursement is one thing. However, when an OEM knowingly passes off defective product (example: fuel strips) there needs to be legal repercussions such as jail time for the decision maker. And, for people under that individual's command as well. The only way a corporation gets away with this type of scenario is because employees carried it out for management. It astounds me that a company such as BMW gets away with this type of action. Does the majority of the customer base actually think distributing defective product is an acceptable way to run a business?

It's a shame that something like this has to be even mentioned. You would hope a major corporation would simply do what is right in order to take care of their customer base. It is so incredibly easy to ignore the people that need help.

Once the arbitration board is in place we could make it a rule where all the belly aching is brought to a halt on the forum. Complaints need to be run through the arbitration board. The end result would hopefully appease Mr. Christensen.
    +1, Gunny; very well spoken billy walker, the best of luck to you Randy and yes I did send out my letters of support for you on your behalf!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

F700GS answer;

Ours is at 3000m now and I only rode it when much newer with only 500m on it. MY Daughters bike at age 26, she loves it. I think it gets smoother with miles added, all I hear. I did not get to ride it above 4-5000 rpm's as it was brand new engine when I got on it. Dana came home yesterday and said she rev'd the engine to 7000 on the road and it was spooky with HP FAST. She was impressed. Said nothing of buzz. The Suzuki VStrom, if that's what you speak of, IS a very fine best seller for Suzuki, well made. They are everywhere and I hear nothing bad about them. They also make it in 1000cc, VStrom or used to. My Son in Laws new F800GS, same miles as the F700GS here, bought same time, says his engine has improved vastly since new. Much smoother on his 800 at 3500m now. I did notice it on his, as I have ridden it more and a vast improvement with breakin miles added on the 800GS, smoother indeed. The 1200s by BMW are still the leaders in this field of CC's, as I see it, but the little GS's are indeed getting very interesting to me too. Randy

Btw$$$

Our newest bikes ran a LOT$. F700GS begins at 11500$, with all the options from BMW already on bike. A higher end one, built at factory. With all the addons aftermarket bags and all, it got to over 15000$, out the door. The F800GS got to 19000$+. A LOT of nice acces. were added including 900$ BMWGPS. Extended warranty too was added to both bikes to 5 years, included in above numbers$. It alone ran about a grand per bike I think, not sure? Anyhow, by the time you get one out the door, it adds up!!! California sales tax too is stupid HIGH, all in the above prices I mentioned for the bikes. Randy

Dixie, the land of cotton

See the BMW Motorrad facebook post to my comments on their page

BMW Motorrad: Hi Randy Holdford, thanks for your opinion on the situation. We have provided what we feel is a reasonable solution and you have declined to accept it. We ask you to refrain from encouraging other fans to email members of the BMW staff because it may limit the response time for your fellow Motorrad community members who may have a problem or concern that needs solving. You are free to post on the main BMW Motorrad page however in future, if you continue to promote your situation on other BMW Motorrad users posts, we will have to delete them.

All the best
    Your BMW Motorrad Facebook Team

Sounds like the BMW facebook team is not happy with me posting on their facebook page. Several forum members say that it sounds like a veiled treat. I have a feeling that this warm and kind quote might go viral.

Interestingly the only way I was ever able to reach BMW Corporate is by asking for help on their facebook page. They got back to me within 24 hour after the posting.

Sounds like social media gets their attention.

JT_R1200RT
    Wow Expresso 7 years chasing this thing, you are a better man than me I would have traded that thing off after the second time they split the bike. Good luck
    JT

JT, not better but just hard headed and like to companies do right

If I would have known seven years ago where I would be now I would have probably sold the bike long ago.

But it is kind of like a bad book you started reading. You have invested so much time and think that it is bound to get better, and then it doesn't and you have to finish it to the end anyway.

I think I will title this "bad book" I have been living: [I]The Saga of a Hardheaded Man and Short Sighted BMW Executives[/I]

Arte Johns son
    This does remind one of the adage "throwing good money after bad..."

I do wish you luck.

John

Yes John, but they have the money to throw and I am stuck with the bad.

If this situation presented itself to a small business man the problem would be solved after a couple of discussions and probably everybody would walk away happy.

I worked as a pharmaceutical sales rep for a major pharmaceutical company for 13 years and I have seen the inside of corporate America and it is not pretty.

That is why I am involved in a small catering company where the customer is right 98% of the time even if the are wrong. It just makes good business sense.

I believe there is a thread going on this topic in the Motorrad forum..
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?68916

I'm closing this thread and ask that repeated threads on the same topic not be opened. One is fine. Two is overkill, and as far as I can see - there are at least three at the moment, and perhaps more.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche