Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs

Dixie, the land of cotton espressoforyou's Avatar

Good News: BMW Finally offered a "BUY-BACK" of my 2005 r1200gs

After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

Randy

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    After 7 long years of going back and forth with BMW NA they finally offered a buy-back of my bike because of the ongoing engine output and counterbalance seal failures.

On Tuesday this week Anthony Cavanaugh(TEAM Leader of pre-litigation and vehicle buy-back with BMW NA) said the following:

"your bike is unrepairable and the only solution is to replace the engine which would cost over $9,000 and is more that the bike is worth".

Anthony then gave me the "generous" buy-back offer of $1,241.17 for my 2005 r1200gs with 42,321 miles on it.. I politely declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase a new f700gs from Bloodworth BMW on Tuesday if BMW NA would give me a reasonable trade assist on my bike. I had David Bloodworth talk to Anthony Cavanaugh, but BMW NA would not increase the buy-back offer.

The only way I was ever able to get in touch with BMW Corporate was by posting on the Motorrad Facebook page and by emailing all the top executives including Vice President of Motorrad NA Hans Blesse along with CEO Ludwig Willisch

I would appreciate my fellow forum members sending an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

Thanks for you help.

Randy
    I love my BMW - I hate BMW NA. Why on earth do they insist on treating people like this? From knowingly selling defective merchandise (fuel strips) to intentionally screwing customers with non-repairs (or, failing to provide the repairing dealer with assistance when it is apparently needed) and your insulting scenario. Can anyone explain why this company treats people the way they do and have it make sense?

I will e-mail all parties for your sake. By the way here is book value on your bike:
    As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740
    As per Kelley Blue Book, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $9,210

I think given the circumstances you would be entitled to retail but good-luck with that. I will be providing the above numbers to all of the e-mail contacts as well.

Randy, please provide your last name and last 7 of the vin to all of us. BMW will need that for unit identification purposes. By the way, have they ever advised you that you are the one creating the on-going problems? Is that the reason for the low offer? Have they accepted responsibility?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    I will e-mail all parties for your sake. By the way here is book value on your bike:
    As per NADA Thursday, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $5,880 to $7,740
    As per Kelley Blue Book, June 6, 2013 - Retail value approximately $9,210
    Yea but not with a bad engine!

I will give you 1500 and pick it up at your house.

Sorry for your misfortune, is there some background to the story?
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

This gives me pause in my consideration of a new BMW. Perhaps I'll give more thought to the other short list suspects again. I will email your list of names later and tell them my pending purchase has become a pending sale of another brand due to this story as well.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

Good luck;

The F700GS is new in our family here at only 4 months old. YOU'LL like it a lot, if you get one of these. Really fast 75HP and handle really well. I do not understand their value of your bike process at all? I would accept trade in value at minimum. What's the dealer say about giving you fair trade in value towards F700GS, or they know history of engine too? Let dealer handle BMWNA when they own the bike, they have more ammo to deal with BMWNA, keeping dealers happy. Best case would be crate bike, ship it to BMWNA, care of CEO or R/D Dept., just give it back and advertise your story in BMW'ON and other large publications. Here is good too, but I feel the audience is very small on the forum. Your worst thing is you rode it for 7 years and they want to dig you for it, even with all your past records. Keep those records handy, keep using them as your ammo. A lawyer would (probably)eat them alive, but its money out of your pocket. BMW knows this well! A good consumer advocate on your team is pricey, but likely gets BMW to next stage to pay up, imo. Do your homework some more, Consumer News and the like sometimes step up too. Sometimes what sells magazines is dirt on big Corp. America??? You have your share of dirt piling up here! Best to ya from a very long time BMW buyer here and in your support. In summary, the F700GS we love so far and you go after it, if ya still need a BMW. I think the m/c world of mfg'ers are probably equal same on the other side of the fence, brand X and its just a shame when things go WAY wrong, so few ever step up anymore!!! Its this generation of folks today in my minds eye, as less than able to admit fail when it happens. Lawyers too, run Corp.America and a huge part of admitting guilt is in their ballpark of influence and they most probably see these cases like your failed BMWGS and just fiddle the issue to death, no pay. WHEN we fight back with larger ammo, they perk up, but its a very high cost to consumer to do so, they know it and use it!!! Randy

Thanks Billy Walker, name is Randy Holdford vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208

Thanks for your post and for emailing the executives. My name is Randy Holdford and the vin# is WB10317A55ZL77208.
    It is amazing how just it only takes a few emails and social media post to get a corporations attention. I appreciate your help.

LBD, thanks for your post and for emailing the executives.

Send out an email for a couple of weeks to the executives if you would not mind. I think a two week campaign would get some attention. Please pass the word on to other rider of BMW and other brands. Thanks.

Thanks for your comment Polarbear

I rode the f700gs on Tuesday and liked it very much. I did feel a buzz or vibration around 5,500 rpms. I am probably just use to the vibration on my r1200gs and to not notice it anymore.

The 700gs is a very nice bike. I rode a fiends Suzuki 650 adventure last week and it is a nice bike also. It is about $2,000 less and come with nice panniers.

Do me a favor and email and send a few emails to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

pffog, thanks for the offer.

Yea, short version background. Bike broken in half 7 times to replace 15 plus engine output and counterbalance seals, plus several transmission input and output seals along with the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, counterbalance, and counterbalance bearing. And it is leaking again.

Bloodworth offered me $4,000 for trade-in which is not a bad offer considering they know the repair history. BMW NA just needs to step up and make up for the difference in value.

Thanks and please email the following: Please send an email to CEO Ludwig Willisch at ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com along with Anthony Cavanaugh at anthony.cavanaugh@bmwna.com and Hans Blesse at Hans.Blesse@bmwna.com and commenting on my situation. If I can get 20 plus people to email Anthony, Ludwig and Hans it is possible that they will reconsider their "generous" offer of $1,241.17 for the buy-back of my bike and maybe come up with a reasonable offer.

That is good news if it means we can stop reading about it in this forum.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Good response lkchris

Trust me I am tired of posting but don't plan on giving up. I would be glad and help you out of a difficult situation if you asked for my help. Thanks for reading and replying to my postings.

Have a good day

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    That is good news if it means we can stop reading about it in this forum.
    You know something Kent... why don't you direct your annoyance at BMW for messing with this guy for so many years? I think people on this forum need to stick together and fight BMW when things are obviously wrong. I love my BMW but man that company just does so many wrong things to people. We need to stick together as a group when it is appropriate to do so. After all we also tell a lot of folks how great a bike BMW makes. How about telling BMW when they mess up? Seems fair to me.

Thanks Billy for your positive response.

Trust me I can understand Kent's point of view. I am tired of messing with this, but hate to see BMW get away with putting out a defective bike, that they admit cannot be repaired and then offering $1,241.17 as a buy-back.

Defective productive happen, but it is what the manufacture does about the defective product that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    This gives me pause in my consideration of a new BMW. Perhaps I'll give more thought to the other short list suspects again. I will email your list of names later and tell them my pending purchase has become a pending sale of another brand due to this story as well.
    Now that's really funny!
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

Polarbear, I have a question about the 700gs

Thanks for your post about my "generous" buy-back offer.

I rode the 700gs on Tuesday and it had plenty of power, handled very well, had good brakes, was plenty fast and fun to ride. My only concern is that around 5,000-7,000 rpm's I felt a pretty strong buzz or vibration. Have you noticed it? Several of my riding buddies have bought the Suzuki 650 Adventure as a second bike to their Harley's. I rode one of theirs on Saturday and was very impressed with it. Rode very smooth, not quite as much power but cost $2,000 less than the 700gs and comes with nice panniers and crash bars. Did you test ride the Suzuki?

Thanks for your input.