Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Maintenace Costs versus Automobile

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Not for all of us. For me it is just transportation & my only transportation.
    Yeah, and I see where Porsche says you can shuttle your kid to school in a 911.

Both of you will need to impose on friends if you ever need a 2X4 from Home Depot.

This is not a situation to brag about.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Yeah, and I see where Porsche says you can shuttle your kid to school in a 911.

Both of you will need to impose on friends if you ever need a 2X4 from Home Depot.

This is not a situation to brag about.
    I'm not sure why you think I'm bragging. In 43 years of riding I have never considered any motorcycle a toy. Most of the people I ride with ride every day to work rain or shine. Motorcycles are just our choice of transportation. I do have a trailer so 2x4s and most other things are not a problem. I pick up parts on my way to work all of the time. I've had guys at work say that I haul more stuff on my bike than most people haul in there trucks.

I nor do my friends consider it imposing when you ask for help or a favor. It goes both ways with friends. With the exception of work my friends know I'm there 24/7 to help any time & they will do the same for me & we don't consider it imposing in any way shape or form.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

The South must be different

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    I'm not sure why you think I'm bragging. In 43 years of riding I have never considered any motorcycle a toy. Most of the people I ride with ride every day to work rain or shine. Motorcycles are just our choice of transportation. I do have a trailer so 2x4s and most other things are not a problem. I pick up parts on my way to work all of the time. I've had guys at work say that I haul more stuff on my bike than most people haul in there trucks.

I nor do my friends consider it imposing when you ask for help or a favor. It goes both ways with friends. With the exception of work my friends know I'm there 24/7 to help any time & they will do the same for me & we don't consider it imposing in any way shape or form.
    Same here. I have a Chevy Duramax 2500HD with an 8 ft. bed. My friends have no problem calling me to help haul things. Those same friends helped me put a metal roof on my house last year. It must be a Southern thing; we don't mind helping out friends.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I have a 2007 Corvette Z06 and I also have a 2012 BMW 1200 RT. The Chevy is a higher performance machine than the BMW capable of a top speed of 198 mph with the factory stock 505 hp engine. I find the following maintenance comparison quite interesting:

Maintenance Schedules of My BMW RT vs My Chevy

1. FINAL DRIVE / DIFFERENTIAL:
    BMW RT: final drive fluid changed at 6,000 miles then every 12,000 thereafter
    Chevy Corvette: changing differential fluid not needed

2. VALVES:
    BMW RT: adjust valves every 6,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: no valve adjustments, hydraulic actuation

3. SPARK PLUGS:
    BMW RT: spark plugs changed every 12,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: spark plugs changed at 100,000 miles

4. THROTTLE:
    BMW RT: sync throttles every 6,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: no synchronization needed, drive by wire

5. TRANSMISSION:
    BMW RT: change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: lifetime transmission fluid for manual transmission, automatic transmission fluid changed every 100,000 miles

6. BELT:
    BMW RT: replace alternator belt every 30,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: engine accessory drive belt inspected at 150,000 miles and replaced only if showing wear

7. COOLANT:
    BMW RT: no engine coolant
    Chevy Corvette: change engine coolant at 150,000 miles

8. BRAKE FLUID:
    BMW RT: brake fluid changed every 2 years
    Chevy Corvette: no scheduled change (!)

9. AIR CLEANER:
    BMW RT: air cleaner changed every 12,000 miles
    Chevy Corvette: changed every 50,000 miles

WARRANTY
    BMW RT: 3 year or 36,000 mile
    Chevy Corvette: 3 year or 36,000 mile plus 5 year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

FINDING THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES
    BMW RT: Do you feel like going on a treasure hunt?
    Chevy Corvette: Printed in plain sight right in the owners manual

SERVICE MESSAGE
    BMW RT: To turn off the message you must visit a dealer or buy an aftermarket GS-911 gadget.
    Chevy Corvette: To turn off message for oil change, turn ignition on (but not motor), floor the accelerator 3x in 10 seconds, turn ignition off.
    Last edited by Norms 427; 06-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Your Corvette is iron age technology compared to a BMW ... any BMW.

Try comparing to a Mercedes SLS. Or the Audi S8 reviewed in today's Wall Street Journal. It has more power than your Corvette.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Try comparing to a Mercedes SLS. Or the Audi S8 reviewed in today's Wall Street Journal. It has more power than your Corvette.

The OP started this thread to ask about maintenance costs for motorcycles vs automobiles. My post was in line with what the OP asked about and I compared my BMW RT maintenance schedule to my lowly Chebby, two vehicles I own and am familiar with. I wasn't intending to begin a road test comparison of sports cars ... the subject at hand is maintenance costs.

Norm
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Iron age?..........Really?
    Even if the Corvette is iron age technology do you think the Mercedes SLS or Audi A8 requires periodic valve adjustment, final drive lube changes, etc and so on? Of course, the first 3 or 4 years of maintenance are covered on most up-scale cars.

BMW cycle maintenance is expensive.......I blame Ducati for setting a precedent that demonstrated the potential profits to the dealerships.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Every time this topic has been brought up in a motorcycle forum for discussion it has been knocked around or down. I feel that the real debate gets completely lost as everyone has their own reason for ultimately buying a BMW motorcycle. However that is not being questioned at all here. It is the allocation of finite resources ( money) on present day technology. Be it cars or motorcycle or something else in the same category. Our experience with present day car upkeep is vastly different than a motorcycle. Engineering of products is a commodity so how come we need to lower our expectations for motorcycle. Especially when we are riding two wheels with limited space while sharing roads with a better engineered products.

So given the finite resources in the case of motorcycles I believe we may not be benefitting from time-tested solid technology and perhaps could be sacrificing personal safety in the long run.

Needless to say I had some hearty conversations with the service department even before I engaged the sales person to buy myself a 2006 used LT where the cost of 56K maintenance was almost 10% on top of my purchase price.

Hopefully manufacturers are reading as newer riders will surely be doing the same comparison and asking this valid question. We all deserve solidly built reliable machines as we have become accustomed to. Currently value loses to cost for the motorcycle equation.

Paul Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Paulmann View Post
    Every time this topic has been brought up in a motorcycle forum for discussion it has been knocked around or down.

Hopefully manufacturers are reading as newer riders will surely be doing the same comparison and asking this valid question. We all deserve solidly built reliable machines as we have become accustomed to. Currently value loses to cost for the motorcycle equation.

Paul Mann
    Back in the early 2000's Ducati started charging $600 for the first routine maintenance and based that charge on maintaining the performance of this premium machine. Within a few years, the BMW rate book was revised and the BMW's also needed this "premium" level service. So, while the new BMW's might all be thoroughbred race bikes driven by the most discerning customers of impeccable taste, my 99 R11RS is driven by a tightwad engineer that is pretty confident he's seeing an excellent marketing program that depends on the vanity of the customers.

The silliness will end when the customers stop paying to be told that they are special because they ride a given brand.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    .....30k, plus annual, plus a new set of PR3's next week, dealer's quote of about $1100 for it.
    Half of that $1100 is for tires. If you did your own maintenance instead of paying a shop rate, it would drop that $1100 down to about $5-600 or so after saving money on the tires, not paying mounting and balancing and just buying the parts you need for the 30K service.

Regards to your comparison, as others have pointed out, you can't compare a car to a bike when it comes to maintenance or costs of that maintenance.

That said, try this comparison: I pay roughly $130F/$150R for PR3s on my R12RT - one for the front, one for the rear. Normally, I get a safe 10-12K out of that set of tires. I just bought a set of tires for my 535i. I paid $1360.51 for 4 tires. I paid the dealer $150 to mount and balance them, then $240 to align the car. The tires I replaced had 17,911 miles on them and they had reached a point they were unsafe.

Perspective:
    I ride the sport touring bike of my choice. I buy tires and perform maintenance related to the performance I want out of that bike. Cost is not a factor in achieving that - for me. I want the performance, I want the safety - I pay the price.

I drive the luxury/performance automobile of my choice. I buy tires and perform maintenance related to the performance I want out of that car. Cost is not a factor in achieving that - for me. I want the performance, I want the safety - I pay the price.

Trust me when I tell you the car costs me more than the bike does.

I could have bought a Honda CRV grocery getter. If I had, I NEVER would have considered comparing costs between the boring use of an SUV to buy and haul the family, against the cost of the exhilaration of riding my bike [or driving my current car] through the mountains or on the track.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Perspective:
    I ride the sport touring bike of my choice. I buy tires and perform maintenance related to the performance I want out of that bike. Cost is not a factor in achieving that - for me. I want the performance, I want the safety - I pay the price.

I drive the luxury/performance automobile of my choice. I buy tires and perform maintenance related to the performance I want out of that car. Cost is not a factor in achieving that - for me. I want the performance, I want the safety - I pay the price.
    For the same reasons, Gucci and Prada have an adequate supply of customers to maintain their profit margins..........

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    For the same reasons, Gucci and Prada have an adequate supply of customers to maintain their profit margins..........
    You clearly don't know Steve. Bringing in Gucci and Prada with regards to Steve just made me LOL!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    You clearly don't know Steve. Bringing in Gucci and Prada with regards to Steve just made me LOL!
    Where that's a very good point Darryl, I'd like to point out that my chapeau is indeed a Paris original. Says so right on the little tag inside it.

[sheesh] Jealous people.....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    No, I don't know Steve, but the response was rhetorical and, in my opinion, correct. His justification for the expense of owning a BMW must have been music to the ears of the BMW marketing guru's. He is proud that he's worthy of the cost of maintaining a product of the marque.

BTW - isn't the speed limit in NM is something like 65 or 75 mph and I'm lucky that Tire Rack has lot's of fitment options in the $100 per tire range for my lowly 2003 330i.
    Last edited by 36654; 06-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I don't think we are making the proper comparison. We are comparing a mode of transportation that is normally used for mass transportation to a mode of transportation that is normally used for recreation/sport. I think a more accurate comparison is with other modes of transportation that are also normally used for recreation/sport. I think the cost per mile or the cost per hour of use should be compared to small boats, small aircraft, snowmobiles, etc. I think motorcycles compare very favorably.

I think it also compares favorably with other recreation/sport activities that are not transportation related. I have friends who are tennis or golf fanatics. When all costs are considered, motorcycles are a bargain.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.