Thread: Which Tire? R12GSA, 8k Trip to Pacific NW

Question Which Tire? R12GSA, 8k Trip to Pacific NW

R1200GSA, I'll prolly do about 8k miles Georgia to Pacific NW for the Rally and back, one-up, lightly loaded. Which tire (both, or just rear)?

Heidi K60 or Heidi K76?

I want something mildly off-road capable; a Tourance would prolly do it but mebbe not. 8k is about the outside limit for me and Tourances, especially on freeways in hot weather bucking a headwind. I hear good things about Heidenaus; the K60 has much deeper tread than a K76, and a solid center section. The K76 is more of an 80/20 tire but seems to have tread only about 2/3 as deep as a K60 Scout. Which gets better pavement miles?

I will not buy Michelin motorcycles, ever. Been screwed four time by them.

Mefo doesn't make a fitment for the big GS.

I don't want to be looking for a back tire while on the trip.

What, oh wise ones, is the collective wisdom?
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    R1200GSA, I'll prolly do about 8k miles Georgia to Pacific NW for the Rally and back, one-up, lightly loaded.
    Can't help you with the tire selection as I ride an RT, but I would be interested in your itinerary as I too am planning on a solo trip to rally and back from NE Georgia. Would like to at least hook up at the rally and compare notes, return plans, etc.....

Rally Trip

Quote Originally Posted by bobr9 View Post
    Can't help you with the tire selection as I ride an RT, but I would be interested in your itinerary as I too am planning on a solo trip to rally and back from NE Georgia. Would like to at least hook up at the rally and compare notes, return plans, etc.....
    Hi! I used to do MSF RiderCourses in Clarksville. Small world. I really don't have an itinerary as such. I have to claim my wife at the Portland airport on Tuesday before the rally, and my health is on and off, so I'm planning on prolly 9 days on the road to get out there, build in some time margin if I don't feel up to par and have to take a day off or something. Want to see Flaming Gorge, passed by it several times never had a change to see it. Other than that, just wander out. Prolly go the peninsula in NW Washington, never been there, if there is time before going to the airport.

You can reach me at: roger@rogerwiles.com 706.897.8266
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    This Seattle-area 2012 GSA owner suggests the Tourances for all those highway miles. 8000 miles should come pretty close to using up the tires. You'd need a couple of sets of knobbies to go 8000 miles. Off-road stuff in the PNW is mostly gravel and compact dirt. The mud bogs and swamps will have dried out by July. Knobbies are nice for the loose stuff, but it looks like 99% of your riding will be on pavement - so I'd recommend sticking with the Tourances.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Before this thread gets too deep... R1200GSA questions belong in the hexheads forum.

Travel questions are probably best answered in the Just Ridin forum.

You usually get better info that way.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Before this thread gets too deep... R1200GSA questions belong in the hexheads forum.

Travel questions are probably best answered in the Just Ridin forum.

You usually get better info that way.
    Agree with moving to Hexheads, but this thread is about tire recommendations, not trip planning.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Agree with moving to Hexheads, but this thread is about tire recommendations, not trip planning.
    Yes. First post about tires for an R1200GSA. 2nd and 3rd about NW travel. Either way you slice it ...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT