Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my bike smells like a cookout

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlermikem View Post
    OK bigger problems. This doesn't clear it up for me but I'm sure someone will know the problem. I had it out the other day and got to a passing lane on a hill. When I opened it up to get around a slow vehicle I started a trail of white smoke. I think it was mostly white. I got to the top of the hill and pulled over. I intended to get off the bike and look closer at the smoke but there was so much I was afraid for a second that whatever was causing the smell had heated up and caught fire. Not so, as soon as I shut it off the smoke stopped.

I headed back down the hill and on the few miles toward home. Surprisingly there was no smoke. Just to test it I opened it up for a second one more time on a hill just long enough to see the smoke start again.

I'm swamped at work so now it sits in the garage. My novice mind assumes the head gasket but a friend suggested that since it is oil cooled it should have made a black smoke. I'm also wondering how it could relate to the smell. One of you probably knows...?
    Check the airbox drains, sounds like you are sucking something into the intake. Head gasket would leak the same, not dependent on throttle position, so it would smoke all the time.

Never done it so I don't know the symptom, but is the crank case overfull? High RPM could cause the oil to get into the intake through the breather if it was. Maybe someone can chime in on the separator system on these, for the crankcase vent. I don't know if that coule be an issue.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Check the airbox drains, sounds like you are sucking something into the intake. Head gasket would leak the same, not dependent on throttle position, so it would smoke all the time.

When you say the airbox, do you mean the box that houses the air filter? Maybe a mouse or somthing got up there. I'll check it tomorrow.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlermikem View Post
    When you say the airbox, do you mean the box that houses the air filter? Maybe a mouse or somthing got up there. I'll check it tomorrow.
    Yea, the large box AFTER the filter, look for pooled oil or water in the bottom of the box. There are a couple drains that should prevent accumulation.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

R1100rt

I don't know if it is the same design...
    My airbox has a rubber plug in the bottom of it, accesible from the bottom, in front of the rear fender.
    I pull it occassionally and it has a thin coating of oily stuff on it. Nothing drips out.
    Just an idea.

Left Coast Rider
    Here's another opinion which might be worth exactly what you're paying for it...

In my experience white smoke indicates water, black smoke indicates unburned fuel, blue smoke indicates oil. If you're certain you were seeing white smoke you may have, as others have suggested, an accumulation of water in your airbox. Done any water crossings lately?

Yes the 1100 and the 1150 have the same drain as Scott describes.
    Since it's a GS, maybe BC just nailed it.
    Another - and hopefully slim! - possibility... When we used to clean out a car's intake by dripping ATF into the carb, it would spout white smoke like a mosquito fogging truck. Maybe the wrong lubricant is in the crankcase? "Hey Bubba, let's use this synthetic!"

Sunflower seeds

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Check the airbox drains, sounds like you are sucking something into the intake.
    OK this is interesting, but... I opened the air filter box and there was a 3/4 inch ring of sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. The mice did this once before. My first thought was that your suggestions were right and the airbox was clogged or sucking seeds. But after a closer look all the seeds were still outside the filter. I opened the drain and there was no excessive fluid (or seeds). There was a small amount of oily sludge at the drain plug but I think just a bit of deposit from the K&N reusable filter.

Today was heavy rain and flash floods so I took the opportunity to clean the filter... it takes a day to dry and re-oil. I'll get it back together over the weekend and see what happens. I'm doubtful the seeds were the problem, but maybe. If it still smokes I'll get a closer look at the color.

Thanks again for the good help.

I think you may have a couple of problems. I would add a bottle of regular yellow "heet", then take it out for a nice long cruise in the rain. The moisture in the air will help break the carbon out of the cylinders and stop the pinging. The Heet will get rid of any moisture in the tank. The other additives you put in the tank may have dissolved some or all of the water in the tank and passed it through the filter causing the white smoke you described. I usually run a bottle or two of Heet through mine each year. Cheap insurance.

Won't fix the smell, but how 'bout a screen on your intake?
    On my RT, I have this, plus another one on the forward end of the forward snorkel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good thoughts. The screen is a great idea. I have been tied up at work and still haven't had a chance to get the bike out since cleaning the seeds out. I'll update as soon as I can get out. Thanks for the help.

Forgive me if I missed it.
    Have we eliminated the clutch slipping and burning off oil contamination?
    I know that would be "blue" smoke but in the mirrors at speed it might be pretty close to white?

Are you missing any oil, paddlermikem?