Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How well are K1600's selling?

Ponch
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    http://www.goaz.com/showcaseproducts...7#17872012Tour Same situation here in Arizona, Scottsdale BMW has four unsold K16's on the floor: Two 2012's and two 2013's. Similar scenario at Victory BMW in Chandler and Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. Word amongst the three AZ MOA Clubs about the K1600's having serious problems has turned many long time BMW Brethren off, I am still very happy with my K16GT but I also have had many glitches! I won't ride more than 300 miles from my home without a spare water pump in my top box, plus I am always wondering when the BMW switchgear is going to fail on me like it already has done!
    Hey Don. I really like the used red GT at Victory, but the issues you mention are in the back of my head, especially since I am a one bike person. It's a great looking bike, but I won't ride it I tell you, I won't.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Ponch
    Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    Seriously? When mine started weeping I rode 3k miles waiting for a convenient time to replace it. At the end of the day it consumed may an ounce to two of coolant, never enough to even get below the full mark by much.

Just my . 02 - love the bike
    One, it shouldn't weep at all, two, I'd bet that some down here in hell had a different experience than you in terms of going 3K miles. Just saying. I think it's been pretty much a show stopper. Don can elaborate, but the failure rate of water pumps on K1600s sold in AZ was quite high.
    My Motorrad

Don't know about that. I do know one guy had catastrophic failure in AZ but many many folks on k1600 have had same experience as I did. FWIW. Good luck and I hope you never need the pump!

Have a good one,
    Dave

Ponch
    Don't know about that. I do know one guy had catastrophic failure in AZ but many many folks on k1600 have had same experience as I did. FWIW. Good luck and I hope you never need the pump!

Have a good one,
    Dave
    With an RT, I never will as long as I own it.
    My Motorrad

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

Have a good one,
    Dave
    Hi Dave, the gentleman with the catastrophic failure here in Arizona is a close and personal friend of ponch 1 and myself: Mr. Enrique "Henry" Garza, City of Mesa Fireman/EMT: An excellent mechanic and takes incredible care of his BMW's.

The good news is that the disaster Henry had with his K1600GT did not sour him on BMW's, this picture was taken outside of La Paz, Mexico on the way to Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur just a few months ago. Henry traded the K16 on another GS!

Sad fact of the matter, BMW should really be ashamed of this fact, everyone of our dozen plus AZB K16's have had their original water pumps replaced; many of us are on our third water pumps, albeit with 30K on the machines. Shame on BMW AG!

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Ponch
    He looks like a happy camper, Papa Chuy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Motorrad

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    He looks like a happy camper, Papa Chuy!

That mi Amigo is the greatest and most wonderful thing about belonging to BMW Motorcycle Owners of America organization and in particular BMW MOA Chartered Club #89: I've met and become friends with the greatest and truest motorcycling Compadres through MOA and AZ Beemers, Verdad!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Thanks for the photo. Fwiw the bmw tech who replaced mine said that they had a similar problem with I believe the F800gs (if I'm remembering correctly) and that BMW issued a bulletin saying that the weeping was "normal". I wasn't happy when mine started doing it, but knock on wood the replacement has been fine. (Of course I've probably jinxed myself before my 4 day adventure starting tomorrow. )

Take care and keep the shiny side up!

I'm going to agree with Beemerdons on this one. I think there is a glut of K1600's because the word is getting out that they have a lot more in the way of problems than they should. Now some of these sitting K1600's could be extra-ordered bikes in anticipation of greater sales, but I don't think so. There have been a number of K1600 owners that have switched to another model BMW or have just flat given up and moved to a different manufacturer. There are also any number of potential K1600 buyers who have decided not to take the chance of getting a good one and have gone elsewhere. No one wants to drop $27,000.00 on a motorcycle that has the track record of the K1600. If customer complaints don't get the attention of the Mothership, perhaps a bunch of their unsold top tier motorcycles will. The whole mess is a disgrace to supporters of BMW it should be an equal disgrace to Corporate BMW.

Rick

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcop@wi.rr.com View Post
    I'm going to agree with Beemerdons on this one. I think there is a glut of K1600's because the word is getting out that they have a lot more in the way of problems than they should. Now some of these sitting K1600's could be extra-ordered bikes in anticipation of greater sales, but I don't think so. There have been a number of K1600 owners that have switched to another model BMW or have just flat given up and moved to a different manufacturer. There are also any number of potential K1600 buyers who have decided not to take the chance of getting a good one and have gone elsewhere. No one wants to drop $27,000.00 on a motorcycle that has the track record of the K1600. If customer complaints don't get the attention of the Mothership, perhaps a bunch of their unsold top tier motorcycles will. The whole mess is a disgrace to supporters of BMW it should be an equal disgrace to Corporate BMW.

Rick
    Your comments contain nothing about facts; it does use wording such as "I think there is", "could be" and "but I don't think so". Other than SWAG's do you possess proof of any type or is this all about conjecture?

Ponch
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Your comments contain nothing about facts; it does use wording such as "I think there is", "could be" and "but I don't think so". Other than SWAG's do you possess proof of any type or is this all about conjecture?
    Since you have experience with repairing BMWs, what is your experience?
    My Motorrad

BMW Rider
    Since you have experience with repairing BMWs, what is your experience?
    The K16's were released a few months before my departure. Due to the size of the bike it's really not a model I have any interest in and I have not kept up with it at all. The only reason I commented is guesses were being stated pretty much as facts. If you're going to report on something why not do it with facts? Too many people, and yes they would be at fault, end up believing this kind of stuff with zero facts to support anything. Pretty poor reporting as the entire paragraph has no real value so what's the purpose?

Ponch
    Agreed. I am wondering myself.

My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Well Billy, since I am not a BMW sales rep nor am I at all connected to the Mothership, no I don't have any direct proof. Do you have anything to counter my comments? Have you AT ALL researched the K1600 to see what owners are saying about the bike and more importantly what potential owners have to say? I have owned two GTL's to this point and both have had similar issues. In other words I have put my money where my mouth is. Doesn't it at all strike you as somewhat odd that a year or so ago you couldn't find an unsold K1600 sitting in a dealership and now they are all over the place? Doesn't it strike you as somewhat odd that we are now in the middle of June which should be prime time for motorcycle sales and there are a sizable number of K1600's still unsold? Doesn't it strike you as somewhat odd that BMW came out with a sales incentive on the K1600 IN MAY to help sell that bike? So I take back what I said, yes I do have facts to support my claim.....those facts are all the unsold K1600's sitting on dealership floors in the middle of June. Your comments remind me of a friend of my Dad who really liked the Ford Edsel and he used to get all bent out of shape when people would tell him it was a piece of junk. I remember him slapping the back of his hands saying"give me facts"!

Rick

One, it shouldn't weep at all, two, I'd bet that some down here in hell had a different experience than you in terms of going 3K miles. Just saying. I think it's been pretty much a show stopper. Don can elaborate, but the failure rate of water pumps on K1600s sold in AZ was quite high.
    I have had one pump replaced and my second one has been seeping now for over 10k miles. I just returned from a 5k mile trip knowing my pump was seeping. I took a few ounces of coolant to top off the reservoir as required. I needed it once...a 5 minute job. I don't like it and it shouldn't be happening but it just isn't a big deal to me. I haven't heard of a total pump failure yet but I could just have my head in the sand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD