Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: michelin tires 2011 R1200RT

michelin tires 2011 R1200RT

I have a 2011 R1200rt needs tires,thinking about Michelin pilot road 3,how many miles are people getting on these tires,
    Last edited by deilenberger; 06-04-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: added year/model to title

My experience with PRII vs. PRIII is that the PRII last a bit longer and handle very well. I'd save some cash and get the PRII.

Mileage is a non question. I burnt out my PRIII and PRII in about 2700 miles, but I ride extremely aggressively and wear out the front sides of the tire while the center still has tread. But more normal riding will result in longer life.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Rally Rat
    6 to 7 thousand miles on my R or my RT. PRlll ride better but are not going to last as long.
    I have PRlll on my Versys too. They are good tires.

The original Metzler Z8 lasted 6500 rear 7000 front. They felt good to the end. No wear bars or tread in the center. Its hard to tell when its done until secondary rubber shows on the rear.

David

There are a lot of variables in tire wear. I have a 2005 RT and last summer I put a new Michelin PR 11 (class B) on the rear, and had a Michelin PR11 on the front which had about 4000km (about 2500 miles) on it when I left for a trip across Canada and US. I replaced the front tire on the trip which had about 16000km on it at the time, and the rear now has over 17000km (over 10000 miles) on it, and when I measure the thread depth, it only appears to be a little less than half worn. I was amazed with this mileage. I run 36lbs air in the front and 42lbs of air in the rear.
    Also if buying a Michelin PR11 or PR3, be aware, there are two versions of the rear tire in both the PR11 and PR3. As noted, there is a class B version, which costs about $15 more, but has a different rubber in the center, made for loaded up touring.

PR3 for me. The PR2's cupped out and howl after about 4000 miles. The 3 is a much better tire.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

I just mounted my second set at 10k miles. I could have gotten another 1000 easily but I'm heading to the RA rally and it will be a 2300 mile trip. Nothing like new sneakers.
    Peter, 2010 Polar Metallic R1200RT, 2008 R1200GS

Dear Galaxie,

Per: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 I've added year/model to your thread title.

Get the PR3 tires - you won't regret it. So far my PR3's have lasted about as long as the PR2s I had been using. 11-12,000 miles rear, 12-14,000 front. That's running factory recommended tire pressure for 1-up.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

na1g
    Galaxie, if you are replacing the original Bridgestones that came standard on many 2011 RTs, either Michelin model will be a huge improvement. I swapped for the PR3s and have been very happy.

pete

Pilot 3s all day long. I commuted all winter in some crazy wind and rain and the Pilot 3s are amazing for it. Currently I have about 6k on them and they have a lot of life left. I generally don't ride very aggressively on my RT, but my cruising speed is up there around 80mph on the freeway.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

BruceRT

Long-lasting tire

I replaced my Michelin PR3 tires after 11,600 miles and they had 3/32 inch tread on front and rear. I could have easily surpassed 12,000 miles so I'm happy. On a trip from D.C. to Seattle and back, I consumed 2/32 on the front and 3/32 on the rear. Is that mileage good enough for you?

I ride solo and generally run the tires at 36 front and 40 rear. I love how they stick on wet pavement and handle so well. I also trust Michelin because they did right by me when I had their tires on my Gold Wing.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

SO just got 12K on a PR3 vs 6-7K on previous PR2's on her R1100S.

At least for her, its clear the 3s last a good del longer and they are a far superior tire to the 2. No odd tread wear noises, etc..

If you kill stuff fast by really hard riding won't matter but for most the 3 is better deal

Tire mileage should be last on the list of things considered when evaluating a motorcycle tire. Think first about cornering performance, wet traction, etc. You know, safety.

It's so good that Dunlop no longer offers the 491, as that tire was an accident waiting to happen. Little bit of moisture and you're down. At least on BMW Airheads. But, they lasted a really long time.

In any event yes there are "variables."

Metzeler rep recently spoke at a presentation organized by our dealer. His recommendation: look on sidewall of tire and find maximum permitted inflation pressure. Run your tires at this figure ALL THE TIME. This will maximize your tire life. So, to minimize "variables" when comparing tires, do this. That is, if mileage is all there is.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Tire mileage should be last on the list of things considered when evaluating a motorcycle tire. Think first about cornering performance, wet traction, etc. You know, safety.

It's so good that Dunlop no longer offers the 491, as that tire was an accident waiting to happen. Little bit of moisture and you're down. At least on BMW Airheads. But, they lasted a really long time.

In any event yes there are "variables."

Metzeler rep recently spoke at a presentation organized by our dealer. His recommendation: look on sidewall of tire and find maximum permitted inflation pressure. Run your tires at this figure ALL THE TIME. This will maximize your tire life. So, to minimize "variables" when comparing tires, do this. That is, if mileage is all there is.
    of course, it so happens that the PR3s are, from all reports, also a great handling tire. That they combine that with outstanding tire life is not a bad thing at all.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

They're my choice for sure.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Metzler Z8 and prIII

my original Metzler Z8 lasted 1000 miles then a nail. I got a PRIII to replace it. It lasted 7000 miles, then i got a nail. They still had a lot of thread on them. I have had not luck with tires this last year.