Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strategy for finding campsite?

Voni- I don't buy that one at all...LOTS!! of people camp fairly close to where they live. They did when I lived in KS & they sure do it here in KY. Some travel a good ways too,e.g. is the "Ohio Navy" (as they're called) that travels to Lake Cumberland,KY on the weekends. Gas stations are a possible as is anyone spotted with an RV, gun or a boat. Your asking the wrong people?
    My suggestion is for people looking for a campground to ask @ places like boat,RV,tackle shop or that department in box store, gun shop, national forest offices, anything associated with the outdoors.
    I have a campground guide I bought @ retirement which is the size of the NYC phone book & I never use it as the web is so much better! I will say that I've been looking for camp spots in New England & they are mostly closed after Labor Day or late Sept-virtually none in Oct! esp. after mid month. I guess they all crawl in a hole?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

2Bike makes an excellent point ... My Rand-McNally (LARGER version, not the "handy" one) is in the top of the trunk (with the KOA directory), and it don't need no steenkin' batteries.

For me, asking locals is what you do. They live there, have been cruising the woods and roads all their lives, and pretty much know the hazards and dangers involved of the various locations that they suggest. Some of the RV type of "guides" are not bad; but as somebody pointed out above, they are like a phone book. When we are "Airstreaming" it, we use Woodall's as our bible for finding a place. We begin looking early in the day when we are a few hours out and even ask them, the campground hosts or rangers, what else might be available in the area. 99% of the time they are totally helpful and honest...........When on the bike or "tenting" it everything from a picnic table, a friendly backyard, behind the gas station (with a key to the restroom), where I stop to buy a can of chili/stew to sit on my engine while I set up camp and follow the clerk's advice have been used. I find that fear and paranoia of what could happen is the greatest deterent for just following your instincts to a great spot..........God bless........Dennis

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    I like pulling off the road and going down us forest dept roads in national forest's and dropping camp when I'm a ways off the road with my rt.Done this many times.I don't need no stinking gs!! Lots of peace and quiet.Great for watching stary nights.
    81 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    So, I'm riding in ON, NY, PA, W VA, ... on a weekday in July or August. Had a great day, now need a campsite. How to best find one, in your experience? I've often seen signs at turn offs from a highway, but never actually gone off to find one. Any experiences / local knowledge in the areas mentioned would be appreciated.
    For the USA, try http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearch.do

They also have a iphone app

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I like pulling off the road and going down us forest dept roads in national forest's and dropping camp when I'm a ways off the road with my rt.Done this many times.I don't need no stinking gs!! Lots of peace and quiet.Great for watching stary nights.
    Stealth camping.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Either stop at the welcome center for that state and ask, or go on line and get a list of state parks. Each state has a pamphlet that lists them.. and/or search Garmin for state parks.

3 Red Bricks
    http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/03/new-...d-information/

You don't HAVE TO be a AAA member, just know one that will get this for you.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I've been looking for camp spots in New England & they are mostly closed after Labor Day or late Sept-virtually none in Oct! esp. after mid month. I guess they all crawl in a hole?
    It has been explained to me that 'cause of the thinking up here, everything is seasonal. A good example is when there is "the best spring skiing ever" and nobody goes because it's spring and skiing is a "winter" sport.
    Also it has been explained that this is the reason camp sites are expensive. The campground owners need to make the whole year in about 3.5 months. I kinda like cold weather RV'ing.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program