Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: June ON

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I think you missed or he missed with his explanation about the insurance. True, the towing vehicle's insurance will cover you to a degree while you tow a trailer, but I believe his reference to an insurance company's escape clause was meant to apply where you exceed the towing vehicle's design limitations or use it for a use definitely not recommended by the manufacturer.
    Insurance departments do not generally allow many escape clauses or denials of liability coverage because it is not in the "public interest". Liability insurance generally covers any accident caused by the "ownership, maintenance or use of the insured vehicle". It is generally very difficult to deny coverage to anyone using the insured vehicle as long as it is the owner or is with the owner's permission. I spent 31+ years as an insurance adjuster trying to find loopholes and other ways to avoid paying claims. If it was a close call, we provided coverage because of the millions of dollar exposure for "bad faith" claims and hugh fines imposed by state insurance departments.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Driving the Miata requires less storage capacity. You don't need room for the raingear and second set of jackets and pants for different weather.....and no helmets needed either
    If you are wearing your gear, no need to store it, and I have never carried extra jackets. I like the Mustang idea, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Well...in order to improve the stability of the bike when towing a trailer, you could always add a sidecar to the unit...and then trade it in for a Mazda Miata.....
    Or two...

Now if I could add a sidecar to a Miata
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I read the article right until I got to the part where the author confessed he had never towed a trailer with a motorcycle. Then, I went back to read his credentials. He is a retired bureaucrat with the Canadian government. I knew all I needed to know at that point.

Gouldner, 1970, wrote that when reading the research of anyone we should be cognizant of their background and domain assumptions. This article drives that point home very well.

Would you take motocross lessons from someone who had never ridden the track?
    This article was not research but simple opinion. While I have no desire to pull a trailer with my RT i struggled to make it through the article. I understand the magazine is mostly written by volunteers. In a case like the trailer article, the title should have been changed to "why you shouldn't tow a trailer." And it should be placed in an editorial section.

Joel

Article authors

Quote Originally Posted by RT290 View Post
    This article was not research but simple opinion. While I have no desire to pull a trailer with my RT i struggled to make it through the article. I understand the magazine is mostly written by volunteers. In a case like the trailer article, the title should have been changed to "why you shouldn't tow a trailer." And it should be placed in an editorial section.

Joel
    I have been reading ON for quite a few years and one of the things that attract me to the writings is that they are written by riders with EXPERIENCE in the subject. This was some retired bureaucrat from Canada playing nanny state with no real knowledge to back up his line of BS.

Would you take an article on riding water crossings seriously if it was written by someone who had never done a water crossing?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

My motorcycle policy specifically states that my trailer is covered for up to $5000. My Bushtec has a 360 degree rotating hitch & 16" rims. The author of this article is an idiot. The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

If I am carrying too much stuff to put in the side and large top cases, I drive the X5-3.5d. Better load capacity, air conditioning, great stereo, great mileage, around 500 mile range, and I can stuff the RT on a trailer and carry it too.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Same setup

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    My motorcycle policy specifically states that my trailer is covered for up to $5000. My Bushtec has a 360 degree rotating hitch & 16" rims. The author of this article is an idiot. The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.
    That is the same set up that my buddy Tony has. I read the article and immediately wanted to beat the author over the head with an air pump. ON must be desperate for articles. This article is crap.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Left Coast Rider
    The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.
    Seriously?

The article may have no value to you however I'd hazard a guess that there may be other things within this fraternity of riders which can be of benefit to you. Not that I'd try to change your mind...

I also tow a Bushtec Trailer and have for over 300,000 miles doing so.

My 1977 R100RS is insured for $6000 and the trailer for $6000.

Without any name calling I also disagree.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Very BIASED:)

Writing the trailer article is very interesting, but from a guy with no experience? I actually respect my fellow riders opinions and this certainly has a topic at hand, everyone should read. We all have been with riders towing, or certainly at rallies seeing them. Its become a VERY popular add on for 2ups and even solo's riding and camping. I TOWED my own homebuilt trailer(cargo) 35000m all over NAmerica and want to add here!!! Brakes ARE made now for MC trailers, left out I think in article? Not cargo rigs, but camper rigs I have seen the brakes myself on heavier camper rigs. I see very little difference in solo wheel vs two wheels on trailer! The width of 2 wheels is still quite narrow and easily handled. The independent susp., torsion types are very good and handle extremely well hitting road debris/holes and bike rarely ever feels it. AND last in my experience in weight distribution and max gross! Even bikers with no trailer load their bikes WAY past its ability to carry. Trailers are great to do more weight, BUT must have a max weight to bike ratio thing going on indeed. You put a 500lb trailer behind a 600lb motorcycle and you're digging your grave.....My KLT1200 at 800 lbs and my trailer never exceeded 300lbs, as I saw it safe this way. Every bike trailer rig MUST have this theory in the mind of its owner, or you live a much abbreviated life, imo....I DID have one emergency stop with 2up KLT1200 and my trailer on the way to Wisconsin, West Bend Rally. The KLT stopped the entire rig in fine fashion, but scared the crap out of me and wife as we grabbed ALL the brakes ability on that bike that day. A very close lesson we learned stopping with weight pushing from behind at 60mph. We lived and nothing damaged or injured, but WOW. IF you've ever done this, you KNOW exactly where I come from. WATCH your ratio weight to bike phenom, as a lighter trailer is better. Loading is SOOOOO important, as our rig that day was loaded correct, we felt so anyways. No wiggle, so front to rear loading was correct. WE GOT INTO trouble with side to side loading in our emergency stop in Wisconsin. THE trailer started to "SLIDE PAST US", as all the KLTs brakes were applied. We got stopped fine, no crash but wife was screaming, the trailer is not staying behind us!!!!!! Now you think this is a quick reminder to quit for the day, you bet we did. It had been a long day already and we were not fresh. I got into trouble, lived to tell story. Weight dist. is critical, side to side, front to back. MY trailer had been loaded to heavy one side and caused my slide. Its my only answer I could figure. I love trailers still and they are cool. I do not tow this day with my current GSA1200. Still have trailer though. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    If I need trailer I am taking too much stuff or the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm lucky enough to have a wife who loves to ride two up and loves to camp. It is definitely a challenge to pack for more than a couple of days. Packing for one is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    If I need trailer I am taking too much stuff or the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no other vehicles than motorcycles. When I need groceries, house or my shop supplies I use my Bushtec Trailer.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have a wife who loves to ride two up and loves to camp. It is definitely a challenge to pack for more than a couple of days. Packing for one is a breeze.

I've heard some people buy clothes along the way and ship dirty stuff home or ship clothes to places they will be.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I have no other vehicles than motorcycles. When I need groceries, house or my shop supplies I use my Bushtec Trailer.
    I use the bike for almost all of my commuting, but we have Suburban for the big stuff and a Passat for the not so big.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19