Thread: Cost of Routine Maintenance - K1300GT

Cost of Routine Maintenance - K1300GT

I just spent about $280 for the 42K mile routine maintenance on my 2010 K1300GT. This is a '6K' service and is an oil change (with synthetic oil) and some routine checks. This is Northern California, but I'm wondering what others have experienced... Love the bike, but it's cost more to maintain than any other BMW I've owned, and it's been a few...

Ayup, these thoroughbreds are expensive to maintain, especially if it's all done at the dealership. One can reduce the expense a bit by tackling the simpler jobs, like oil/filter changes and air filter changes, and so on but deeper than that requires a significant level of up-front expense in tools, resources, and research/learning. I do most of the maintenance on my own--fluids, filters, etc. and did my own cam chain jump guard install (good excuse to buy a digital 1/4" drive torque wrench), but I have a reasonably well-quipped workspace that also includes a GS911 for resetting the service counter. So I guess it's a question of whether you'd rather spend money or time and effort in keeping your steed well-maintained--sort of a sliding-scale equation. I, for example, have not yet been willing to tackle a valve check on my GT and turned that task over to the dealer--but now that I'm out of warranty I'll probably dive into it when it comes due.

OTOH, where else can you find a machine with 160hp, ESA, cruise control, ABS, and awesome brakes and handling--and if you find one, how do the service costs compare? I know what it costs my buddy to have his MultiStrada serviced, and I wouldn't want to trade service bills with him anytime soon.
    Maybe the Ultimate Riding Machine requires ultimate service...

Good luck,
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

1300GT Maintenance Costs

I agree with all of your thoughts - it's a bike without parallel in my BMW riding experience. I'm just a bit cranky after paying $75 for synthetic oil and $180 for labor involved, when I also had my '12 Subaru Forester go thru an oil change, with synthetic oil, etc, and it cost $79... That oil was about $7.50/qt vs $19(!!)/qt for the motorcycle synthetic oil... Oh well, it's the price of pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Ayup, these thoroughbreds are expensive to maintain, especially if it's all done at the dealership. One can reduce the expense a bit by tackling the simpler jobs, like oil/filter changes and air filter changes, and so on but deeper than that requires a significant level of up-front expense in tools, resources, and research/learning. I do most of the maintenance on my own--fluids, filters, etc. and did my own cam chain jump guard install (good excuse to buy a digital 1/4" drive torque wrench), but I have a reasonably well-quipped workspace that also includes a GS911 for resetting the service counter. So I guess it's a question of whether you'd rather spend money or time and effort in keeping your steed well-maintained--sort of a sliding-scale equation. I, for example, have not yet been willing to tackle a valve check on my GT and turned that task over to the dealer--but now that I'm out of warranty I'll probably dive into it when it comes due.

OTOH, where else can you find a machine with 160hp, ESA, cruise control, ABS, and awesome brakes and handling--and if you find one, how do the service costs compare? I know what it costs my buddy to have his MultiStrada serviced, and I wouldn't want to trade service bills with him anytime soon.
    Maybe the Ultimate Riding Machine requires ultimate service...

Good luck,

If you have a Xenon low beam just wait until it gives you problems. A BMW bulb is around $280, however, the same Phillips bulb is sold for about $60. The Denso ignitor or ballast is $580 from BMW but are advertised shipped from Japan or China for $100. So, just buy Castrol synthetic at Amazon.com for a fraction of the price in a six pack of 5W40 delivered free for $45.38 in the USA. Although, some dealers are suggesting the correct oil for the K1300 is 15W50. They just seem to be all over the place. So many of the BMW products can be found elsewhere from the same supplier at a fraction of the cost. If you are out of warranty why not?

DA