Thread: Old HJC helmet buffeting with R11GS with a Ztechnik touring shield....

Old HJC helmet buffeting with R11GS with a Ztechnik touring shield....

Guys and Gals:

I used my other HJC helmet today,witch is a CL-SP verses the "normal"lid that I ride with,a IS BT Max.

I have been hearing a rattle in the visor release button on the IS(time to replace the helmet) so I thought for quiet's sake I would use the CL on the ride today.

Behind the handelbars on the GS with a Zetechnik screen on the IS has no real dissernable buffeting...
    The CL on the other hand almost gave me a headache from the head rattling I took at speed.

The reason I mention this is: I am thinking of a N104 for myself.Anybody out there who has the following combo:
    1.R11GS with the Ztech touring height screen
    2.about 6'2",34 in inseam.
    3.a N104 helmet

Fellow owners please chime in on what will work the best for the bike and "screen"

Thanks much

Perry
    Perry Brokaw
    97 R 850 R :sold
    98 R1100RTL:
    98 R1100GS:

Every helmet interacts with its environment so results vary but, in general, it would be rare for anyone to call a Nolan or most other Italian helmets at the quiet end of the spectrum. I own a N103 that I have come to detest for its noise so have permanently removed Nolan helmets from my interest list because they've made no fundamental improvements.

However, the really quiet helmets tend to have a problem all their own- very tight neck rolls often matched to very small shell openings as is seen in the Schuberth line especially. These make poor all weather helmets for use in hot and humid weather and are at their best in cooler parts of the country or as part of a set of helmets where the rider can pick what is best for the immediate conditions.

Another problem with any flip up is weight, especially if a sunscreen is also in the design. The shells end up larger and heavier- by almost a full pound (about 25% of total weight) on average. On long runs that weight makes a difference. It also places proportionally more force on the neck during any crash- that extra helemet weight equals about 7% more weight for the head/helmet mass the neck has to handle.

I tend to use full face helmets for most purposes for those reasons but do have one flip up in the current set- a Shoei Neotec.
    It is a bit too heavy and has a neck roll less tight than some other quiet types. Its sunscreen seems to need more frequent cleaning due to the plastic chosen- seems to accumulate haze. Vents well on crown, typical good Shoei construction quality. Comes with pinlock, necessary where I ride.

Probably the best single source for helmet comparisons is webbikeworld website but even that may not provide the kind of specific comparison you're after. As always, nothing beats a test ride....

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Every helmet interacts with its environment so results vary but, in general, it would be rare for anyone to call a Nolan or most other Italian helmets at the quiet end of the spectrum. I own a N103 that I have come to detest for its noise so have permanently removed Nolan helmets from my interest list because they've made no fundamental improvements.

However, the really quiet helmets tend to have a problem all their own- very tight neck rolls often matched to very small shell openings as is seen in the Schuberth line especially. These make poor all weather helmets for use in hot and humid weather and are at their best in cooler parts of the country or as part of a set of helmets where the rider can pick what is best for the immediate conditions.

Another problem with any flip up is weight, especially if a sunscreen is also in the design. The shells end up larger and heavier- by almost a full pound (about 25% of total weight) on average. On long runs that weight makes a difference. It also places proportionally more force on the neck during any crash- that extra helemet weight equals about 7% more weight for the head/helmet mass the neck has to handle.

I tend to use full face helmets for most purposes for those reasons but do have one flip up in the current set- a Shoei Neotec.
    It is a bit too heavy and has a neck roll less tight than some other quiet types. Its sunscreen seems to need more frequent cleaning due to the plastic chosen- seems to accumulate haze. Vents well on crown, typical good Shoei construction quality. Comes with pinlock, necessary where I ride.

Probably the best single source for helmet comparisons is webbikeworld website but even that may not provide the kind of specific comparison you're after. As always, nothing beats a test ride....
    I would concur with pretty much everything said in this post. I had a Nolan flipup, couldn't take the noise, but otherwise a decent helmet with decent features. I no longer own a flipup style helmet, it's not my thing. I understand why people like them, especially people that wear prescription glasses when they ride. Webbike world, as noted above, has good reviews on virtually any helmet available for purchase. My current helmet, that I just purchased a couple of months ago, is a Shoei Qwest. I couldn't be more happier with the choice.

As far as buffeting on an R11GS, I can't speak to that, but will tell you that buffeting of any kind with a flipup will cause a lot of noise.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia