Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Day-to-day life with the wethead

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Visian,

In your ON article you said something to the effect that the brake pedal is not adjustable. I think it is. Not 100% sure which of the various ways I've found to change the height is the correct way, though. I'll post something once I know for sure.
    Well, it is... but mine is adjusted as high as it will go and it could still be much higher. There's more adjustment available, but the arm of the pedal is contacting the frame piece, so it won't go higher.

The range and quality of the BMW accessories is vastly improved with this model. Methinks BMW got tired of seeing thousands of dollars of aftermarket bling sales going to third parties.

Montana

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Colorado

Taylor Pass...

What are these "chicken strips" you speak of?

And this is with 200 pounds of crap on-board, not counting the fat-assed rider.

ESA set for 2-up, hard.

Hells Canyon, Hat Point Campsite

Campsite along the Lolo Trail

The Lolo Trail

... aka The Lolo Motorway

Great shots, Ian. I especially like the campsite in Hell's Canyon.
    Dan

No offence to you GS Dudes & Dudetts...but any word of a naked "R" "wet-head" in the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    No offence to you GS Dudes & Dudetts...but any word of a naked "R" "wet-head" in the pipe?
    I hear that the next model is the RT.

In my article I wrote that RT riders would love this bike. And so will R riders. The R bike might actually be the best variant.

One answer I learned on my recent ride to Oregon and back is how the bike performs fully loaded. With my gear, cameras, computer and my fat ass, I was right at max GVWR.

The bike handled what I would call normally with the suspension set at 2-up hard. Well, Schofield Pass was my undoing!

But what it does really well, even when fully loaded, is top-gear roll-ons. 65-90 mph is a matter of a few seconds, way more than enough to pass a truck going uphill while riding 2-up with some luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I hear that the next model is the RT.

In my article I wrote that RT riders would love this bike. And so will R riders. The R bike might actually be the best variant.

One answer I learned on my recent ride to Oregon and back is how the bike performs fully loaded. With my gear, cameras, computer and my fat ass, I was right at max GVWR.

The bike handled what I would call normally with the suspension set at 2-up hard. Well, Schofield Pass was my undoing!

But what it does really well, even when fully loaded, is top-gear roll-ons. 65-90 mph is a matter of a few seconds, way more than enough to pass a truck going uphill while riding 2-up with some luggage.

So then the naked "R" bike is yet another year away? 2015?....they better hurry,..I'm gettin' old...

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    For very long trips, my Mountain Sun Sherpa Tank Panniers are indispensable.
    Hey Visian... any pics or suggestions on how you mounted your Mt Sun on the wethead? I've been playing with mine the last hour and don't like any of the ways I've thought of to route the front strap. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Lucky me

I suppose this belongs under Day-to-day life with...

Went out for a ride yesterday, as it was such a gorgeous day. On the new bike, natch.

About 3 or 4 miles from home, I felt a weird bump on the back wheel. Felt like I hit something small but firm, like a piece of trap rock. Uh oh.

Pulled over in a ball-field driveway and inspected the back tire. Found something steel and nearly 1/4" in diameter in the tire. Rode home gingerly.

Back in my driveway, I put it up on the centerstand to remove the object and see what's what. Without a helmet and ear plugs, I can hear the air hissing as it escapes. I pull the object and it was some kind of threaded lag bolt or something. Surprised I did not see it on the road.

3400 miles on the tire, a Metzeler Tourance Next. Still had nearly 6mm of tread. I could pull it and repair it with an internal patch plug (which I would have to buy, as well as the associated tire prep tools) but I prefer an undamaged tire.

Yay, MasterCard! :-/

The "lucky" part is that I discovered it and made it home before being 100 miles away and having it come out at high speed, which could have played out several ways that I would rather not explore. ';-)

So, now the wheel is off the bike, and the tire is off the wheel. Although I may repair the tire if I can find all the internal patch/plug stuff I like, and keep it for a spare, a new tire is on order.

FYI, I test fitted the rear wheel balancing jig I bought from Marc Parnes years ago for my 2005 R1200GS and it fits just fine; apparently BMW has not changed the wheel's bolt pattern.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Hey Visian... any pics or suggestions on how you mounted your Mt Sun on the wethead? I've been playing with mine the last hour and don't like any of the ways I've thought of to route the front strap. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
    Marc - see post #s 48 and 49 in this thread. I went inside/behind the water hose on the right... But I don't have a good pic of this.

The two top straps went in front of the fuel filler, and I wound up just looping the rear straps underneath the seat.

You'll definitely want to use some wooly tubes for the strap that go over the tank, and/or some of that plastic material on the matte grey paint. I didn't and the rear strap wore through the paint on my 7500 mile ride. I did ride in a lot of dirty and dusty conditions.

The bottoms of the panniers rested just slightly on the heads, and there was no issue with hot air coming off the radiator.

Was really happy with this setup.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about what you wrote in #48. Can I blame old age? Or something else.

I did it this way last week:

Top view:

Rear attachment:

Front attachment:

The blue strap at the front replaces the stock black strap which I cut during modifications I'd made to the bags to better fit my '05. On the '13 I routed that strap through some cable ties wrapped around my light bar to keep the straps away from the front forks. It worked, but I'd prefer the strap to be lower. I'll have to give the path you used a try. I take it that the strap winds up rear of where the bottom of the shock mounts to the telelever, kid of between the bottom of the telelever and the front of the engine case?
    Last edited by marchyman; 09-01-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Change image host