Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Jap bike rider...saw the light!

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    And not even then if you have a GS

Welcome back the the motorcycle fraternity and especially to BMW ownership and the MOA. I too am a former V45 sabre owner/rider. I had an 85 that I bought new and rode for 12 years until I got my first BMW. The lack of a fuel guage is a characteristic of that model in those years. My 94 R1100RS did come with a guage as did other models. Still even today with newer bikes and more accurate guages, I still use the odometer to track my fuel. Old habits die hard I guess.
    Thanks for the welcome! Looks like I'll just have to accept the turn signal/fuel gauge issues. Loved my V45 Sabre, was the best bike I've ever ridden...the only kink was the fragile instrument cluster mounting points that broke three times on me. The first two were repaired under warranty but the third I had to jerry rig because Honda wanted $800 for the cluster back in the '80's. I'm certainly enjoying the solid engineering of the BMW...hopefully the low mileage will give me a few years of trouble free riding.

My 2007 R1200S does not have a fuel gauge. It has a 50 miles to empty indicator that counts down.

But it holds 4 something gallons of gas, gets 45-50 mpg in town, and more hwy riding, so it is easy to count.

Also my Zumo 660 has a fuel gauge. I use it.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    My 2007 R1200S does not have a fuel gauge. It has a 50 miles to empty indicator that counts down.

Do you have any idea how much fuel is left in my R1100R's tank when the reserve light comes on?

No, do you have the bike's owner's manual?
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    No, do you have the bike's owner's manual?
    Don't have an original owners manual, the bike came with a factory "service" manual only. Every time I google search for an owners manual i get Haynes or Clymers. Guess I'll have to eat it and buy one from BMW for list price.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    Do you have any idea how much fuel is left in my R1100R's tank when the reserve light comes on?
    If I were to guess, typically the light comes on at 4L or 1 US gallon remaining.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    If I were to guess, typically the light comes on at 4L or 1 US gallon remaining.
    I'm only on my second tank full, I guess I'll need to refuel a few more times to see if you are right.
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    Don't have an original owners manual, the bike came with a factory "service" manual only. Every time I google search for an owners manual i get Haynes or Clymers. Guess I'll have to eat it and buy one from BMW for list price.
    I think you can download the owners manual here: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I think you can download the owners manual here: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html.
    Thanks!

So close, yet so far...they only had R1200R and going back to 2004 only...nothing older. Someone said the R1100R is an orphan and I'm finding that out quickly. Still love the bike though!
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Another thing you can do is to check with Beemer Boneyard for a spare wheel, and / or manual. It's a good outfit.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Another thing you can do is to check with Beemer Boneyard for a spare wheel, and / or manual. It's a good outfit.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/
    Beemer Boneyard had only rear rims for the last month, I found one rim at Woody's Wheel Works for $249 but after calling them three times and speaking to three different women who each promised to email me some detail pictures(the website only had a thumbnail pic) and then never did...I've written them off!

I worked out a deal with Bergen BMW, I'm dropping the bike with them this Monday for a head to toe maintenance..sort of a 12/18/24k service combined, while they are working on the bike I'm giving them a pre-tagged box to ship the tire/wheel to "Wills Rim Repair" in S.C. I read a lot of kudos for "Wills" and his price of $65 can't be beat! If all goes well the restored wheel should be back on the bike by the following Monday or Tuesday and hopefully my R1100R will be running at it's best and I'll have a baseline to start learning it.
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Have Bergen check the wheel for run out, etc. before they re-install it. BMW has a specification on what's allowed. My tech had to send my Snowflake wheels back to the wheel shop twice, before they were acceptable. Good luck.

I see there are a number of wheel shops in the Manhatten area. Do none of them take motorcycle wheels, or are they too expensive?
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post

I see there are a number of wheel shops in the Manhatten area. Do none of them take motorcycle wheels, or are they too expensive?

Who does motorcycle wheels in the Manhattan area? Please let me know today so I can call them first thing in the morning. I'm scheduled to deliver the bike to Bergen BMW tomorrow morning and they are going to ship the wheel for me, it would be great if I can do it local.

Thanks for the runout tip!
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Here are the sites I found, and I think some of these may be in Manhattan. I found a site the other day that showed three shops right in Manhattan itself, but I can't find it now, of course.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/newyorkcity/

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...New+York%2C+NY

http://kwicksilverusa.com/locations/

https://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-a...w=1680&bih=844

Hope this helps.
    Rinty

WG: Sent you a pm.
    Last edited by RINTY; 06-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Rinty