Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Recovering Jap bike rider...saw the light!

  1. #31
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    Once you ride the bike through a few tanks you'll have a VERY clear idea on the mileage for next fill-up. I always use the trip odometer and my K has a fuel gauge. I know it is scary at first to find those limits but bikes seem to run out at near identical mileage counts based on your individual riding style. I always get 165 miles before my light comes on.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Scranton, Pa.
    Posts
    197

    Welcome to the fold

    You have now joined a fraternity of some of the most interesting (and sick) people you will ever meet. Some things you may expect:

    1. You will begin to ride more and become adept at making up excuses to ride; (like the time I told my wife I needed to head to Cape May NJ in late March in 43 degree weather-I believe I told her that was to improve my mental health-FAT CHANCE!!!)
    2. You will begin to become more interested in your particular motorcycle
    3. You will begin to think about riding to distant places
    4. You will begin to take your riding gear more seriously
    5. You will begin to think about going to rallys"
    6. Your significant other will not believe you when you tell them that you are only going to the BMW dealer to "windowshop"; Whenever I tell my wife I'm going to Hermy's her question is always "are you going to buy another motorcycle?"
    7. You will take your riding skills development more seriously
    8. You may be adopted by a cranky old fart who will teach you the Tao of BMW motorcycles and freely share their opinions whether you want to hear them or not
    9. You will meet some truly obnoxious people who think a $3000 riding suit means that they are in some way superior to you
    10. You will meet some of the best riders/wrenches and friends you will ever know.

    Go to rallys, learn about your bike, improve your riding skills, improve your riding gear and just plain get to know "the folk"

    If you happen to be in the Scranton, Pa. area, you always have a place to stay

    One last thing......
    Remember when you get a bunch of us together that the first liar doesn't stand a chance

    Will 70125 19 year member

  3. #33
    WineGuyD wineguyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nanuet, NY Rockland County.
    Posts
    119

    Do oilheads really vibrate this much at 75+mph?

    Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    You have now joined a fraternity of some of the most interesting (and sick) people you will ever meet. Some things you may expect:
    Will 70125 19 year member
    Thanks Will...I'm already there for most of the list...waiting for the "old fart mentor" part.

    Just got the bike back from Bergen BMW where I left behind a grand having them fix, tune, replace every fluid, filter and part that could wear out...hopefully I'll have a couple of trouble free seasons ahead of me now.

    The one question I have is ..and it's mostly aimed at fellow oil heads...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike? My last bike was an '84 Honda V45 Sabre that was smooth as butter at high speed. I have no reference points where Beemers or boxers are concerned.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

  4. #34
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,324
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    ...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike?
    Suggest you get someone with a lot of boxer time to take your bike for an extended ride. They do buzz at certain rpms. My 1150 was smoothest between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm.

    But it's pretty hard to beat the smoothness of a V4, and the 90 degree configuration of the engine gives it perfect primary balance.

    On a boxer twin, the primary and secondary forces theoretically cancel out. But, as Kevin Cameron writes, that doesn't mean that they're not there.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  5. #35
    WineGuyD wineguyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nanuet, NY Rockland County.
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Suggest you get someone with a lot of boxer time to take your bike for an extended ride. They do buzz at certain rpms. My 1150 was smoothest between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm.

    But it's pretty hard to beat the smoothness of a V4, and the 90 degree configuration of the engine gives it perfect primary balance.

    On a boxer twin, the primary and secondary forces theoretically cancel out. But, as Kevin Cameron writes, that doesn't mean that they're not there.
    Hi Rinty, I joined the Citibeemers club and hope to catch up to them one Sunday morning for their rides, I figure I can get one of the group to swap bikes for a short distance just to give me a reality check.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

  6. #36
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    Thanks Will...I'm already there for most of the list...waiting for the "old fart mentor" part.

    Just got the bike back from Bergen BMW where I left behind a grand having them fix, tune, replace every fluid, filter and part that could wear out...hopefully I'll have a couple of trouble free seasons ahead of me now.

    The one question I have is ..and it's mostly aimed at fellow oil heads...is noticeable vibration at 75+ mph normal for this bike? My last bike was an '84 Honda V45 Sabre that was smooth as butter at high speed. I have no reference points where Beemers or boxers are concerned.
    I have a 1999 R1100R with almost 90k on the clock and yes vibration is normal at that indicated speed. Now here is something you may not know: BMW speedometers typically read fast by approximately 5 to 10 mph. BMW actually released a bulletin many years ago discussing this. My speedometer reads fast by 7 mph at pretty much anything from maybe 30'ish and higher. Therefore indicated 80 to 90 actually works well for both vibration and the law.

    Of course, you may not be able to run those speeds on the GSP, the PIP or Route 17 but it is what it is. Enjoy the bike!!

  7. #37
    WineGuyD wineguyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nanuet, NY Rockland County.
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    I have a 1999 R1100R with almost 90k on the clock and yes vibration is normal at that indicated speed. Now here is something you may not know: BMW speedometers typically read fast by approximately 5 to 10 mph. BMW actually released a bulletin many years ago discussing this. My speedometer reads fast by 7 mph at pretty much anything from maybe 30'ish and higher. Therefore indicated 80 to 90 actually works well for both vibration and the law.

    Of course, you may not be able to run those speeds on the GSP, the PIP or Route 17 but it is what it is. Enjoy the bike!!

    Hi Billy, I had read about the speedo issue when I was shopping for the bike, when i said vibration at 75+mph the speedo was registering 80mph and I adjusted. I'm shopping for an iPhone mount and plan to clock the bike on my TomTom app which gives extremely accurate speed readings using combined GPS/cellular signals and hope to get a precise idea of how much the speedo is off. I suppose the fact that the speedo is over optimistic will keep me out of trouble, but it's annoying none the less. They weren't joking when they called the R1100R a naked bike...I'm guessing on both speed and gas tank fill.

    BTW: I want to re-upholster the seat...any suggestions for a good shop?
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

  8. #38
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    Hi Billy, I had read about the speedo issue when I was shopping for the bike, when i said vibration at 75+mph the speedo was registering 80mph and I adjusted. I'm shopping for an iPhone mount and plan to clock the bike on my TomTom app which gives extremely accurate speed readings using combined GPS/cellular signals and hope to get a precise idea of how much the speedo is off. I suppose the fact that the speedo is over optimistic will keep me out of trouble, but it's annoying none the less. They weren't joking when they called the R1100R a naked bike...I'm guessing on both speed and gas tank fill.

    BTW: I want to re-upholster the seat...any suggestions for a good shop?
    If you're going to re-upholster I would work with someone local. I imagine Bergen might be able to provide some recommendations.

    What you may want to do however is replace the seat. Doing this will give you FAR MORE comfort than the OEM seat. There are a few well known seat companies but my personal suggestion would be to look into the following:

    Russell Day Long
    http://www.day-long.com/

    or

    Sargent Seats
    http://www.sargentcycle.com/

    My personal preference would be Russell Day Long. Having said that both of these companies make excellent seats and both are known for comfort and quality. You're never going to know which one you like best unless you buy both anyway so do a bit of research and read other opinions. Then pull the trigger and buy. You won't be sorry!

    How's the TZ doing these days? Still scary in the right-lane while riding a motorcycle given your seat might be higher than the guard rail? Or, do you do the George? Actually it appears you live west of the Hudson now rather then Scarsdale?

  9. #39
    WineGuyD wineguyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nanuet, NY Rockland County.
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    If you're going to re-upholster I would work with someone local. I imagine Bergen might be able to provide some recommendations.

    What you may want to do however is replace the seat. Doing this will give you FAR MORE comfort than the OEM seat. There are a few well known seat companies but my personal suggestion would be to look into the following:

    Russell Day Long
    http://www.day-long.com/

    or

    Sargent Seats
    http://www.sargentcycle.com/

    My personal preference would be Russell Day Long. Having said that both of these companies make excellent seats and both are known for comfort and quality. You're never going to know which one you like best unless you buy both anyway so do a bit of research and read other opinions. Then pull the trigger and buy. You won't be sorry!

    How's the TZ doing these days? Still scary in the right-lane while riding a motorcycle given your seat might be higher than the guard rail? Or, do you do the George? Actually it appears you live west of the Hudson now rather then Scarsdale?
    I'm holding off investing in a custom seat until I've put some good miles on the bike and I'm positive I want to keep it for years. That's why I don't mind spending up to $200 now. I use both the TZB and GWB depending traffic...the TZB usually has less traffic and is much cheaper but takes me out of the way when going to Manhattan. I'll check out the Day Long seats tonight...thanks!
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

  10. #40
    Registered User Rod Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    Somehow I had a feeling that would be the response from this group ;-)
    LOL........Welcome to the addiction.........Err I mean club.

    Last Sunday I rode to the vintage breakfast and there was a lone BMW in the lot when I got there, yes it was raining.

    Once mine was parked there it became 2..............Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

  11. #41
    WineGuyD wineguyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nanuet, NY Rockland County.
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    LOL........Welcome to the addiction.........Err I mean club.

    Last Sunday I rode to the vintage breakfast and there was a lone BMW in the lot when I got there, yes it was raining.

    Once mine was parked there it became 2..............Rod.
    Hey Rod, I don't mind the rain so much since I got rain gear and armor, more important I'm starting trust and get a feel for the Conti Road Attacks that grip much better on wet pavement than they look like they should.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •