Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oilhead + Bike Washing = Electrical Issue. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by calnalu View Post
    This happened at San Francisco BMW, where I've taken my ride for all servicing (since Marin BMW closed ) All my previous encounters with the service crew at SFBMW have been highly successful and I trust their group to provide quality and knowledgeable service. In this case, the bewilderment of the tech I was working with was genuine and, as Paul mentioned, it may simply be that since this is related to R1100 bikes only, he's just never seen it before.

SFBMW had my bike in their service area for a couple of days before it started again and another two days before I had time to pick it up. They didn't charge me anything and (if I'm unable to figure out how to replace the HES or its wiring on my own), I'll feel comfortable taking my bike back there. Not so comfortable wallet-wise but I need to get to the Salem rally without stalling out in the redwoods somewhere.

Thanks again, everyone, for the comments. If you'll be at the Rally in Oregon, I'll fill you in on what eventually happens!

Marty
    If they didn't charge you, and you're comfortable with the service, then all obligations have been met.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with giving a high-end estimate and coming in lower. It's what I've always done when working with projects billed hourly. And it's entirely possible that if it had stayed for more work, a "level 2" (as we say in IT) technician would have looked at the tach and spotted the potential issue immediately. SFBMW is a big shop and presumably has a large service staff with a variety of experience levels.

Is my problem the same?

Yesterday I rode 35 miles through light rain on my 97 r1100rt with 104,000. Not enough rain to get my pants wet, and only the sleeves on the jacket. It sputtered at a red light, then stalled but started again. It stalled and wouldn't start, as I arrived at office parking lot. I noticed the tack would spike up about 1000 rpm each time it sputtered, also when it stalled. Bike wouldn't start in evening, so trailered it home. It started about an hour after it was home!, but stalled again and won't start. When I turn the key, the tach needle bumps up once, but that is all. Is the Hall Sensor the place I begin my trouble shooting?
    Thanks for advice.
    Lester

Quote Originally Posted by 119905 View Post
    Yesterday I rode 35 miles through light rain on my 97 r1100rt with 104,000. ............... It started about an hour after it was home!, but stalled again and won't start. When I turn the key, the tach needle bumps up once, but that is all. Is the Hall Sensor the place I begin my trouble shooting?
    Lester
    YES!

I have spent 2 1/2 weeks chasing everything else because they were easier to get to and easier to replace. Now I have a new HES on it's way to me and lots of other parts of my bike in newly serviced condition.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by 119905 View Post
    Yesterday I rode 35 miles through light rain on my 97 r1100rt with 104,000. Not enough rain to get my pants wet, and only the sleeves on the jacket. It sputtered at a red light, then stalled but started again. It stalled and wouldn't start, as I arrived at office parking lot. I noticed the tack would spike up about 1000 rpm each time it sputtered, also when it stalled. Bike wouldn't start in evening, so trailered it home. It started about an hour after it was home!, but stalled again and won't start. When I turn the key, the tach needle bumps up once, but that is all. Is the Hall Sensor the place I begin my trouble shooting?
    Thanks for advice.
    Lester
    Yes
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

Preventative or reactive?

Contributors indicate this is the result of both time and heat cycles. Should I think of a preventative investigation of these leads on my 1998 R1100R which has 6,000 mies on it? Are the 15 years the issue or miles? I'd love to just ignore the possibility if you tell me it only happens after many miles.
    Ralph
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Quote Originally Posted by rdhudson View Post
    Contributors indicate this is the result of both time and heat cycles. Should I think of a preventative investigation of these leads on my 1998 R1100R which has 6,000 mies on it? Are the 15 years the issue or miles? I'd love to just ignore the possibility if you tell me it only happens after many miles.
    Ralph
    I think both age and heat contribute. But how much of each is an unknown. If I had an original HES in an R1100 I would replace the assembly ir the wiring.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Does anyone know if this is a problem that occurs in the R1150 series as well??
    1991 R100/RT - 1984 R100/RS
    2006 KZ-14/ Hannigan HP
    1980 R100/EML-1964 R69S
    2013 F800GT

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Based on what I "hear" the 1150s do not suffer from this problem like the 1100s do. I think the wire used was changed. I hear about an occasional HES failure on the 1150s but not the epidemic encountered on the 1100s.

Well, the R1100S remained an 1100 through the time the rest became 1150s so perhaps those produced during the later period are generally OK too???
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Just dealt with the same issue on my 2002 R1150R. So I can confirm that, at the least, the early 1150's are susceptible to HES failure.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsndman View Post
    Just dealt with the same issue on my 2002 R1150R. So I can confirm that, at the least, the early 1150's are susceptible to HES failure.
    Interesting. Do you recall if your HES had the old style flat connector or the newer more round connector?
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Listen to paul

19 yr member of MOA here. My advice is to listen to Paul Glaves. His wife has a 94RS with 300,000+ miles and he keeps her on the road. In my experience, Paul is arguably the best Oilhead GURU in the organization. If you follow his advice, I expect you will solve the problem.

Many good miles brother!

Will

It has the newer 3 pin over 3 pin style connector.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Interesting. Do you recall if your HES had the old style flat connector or the newer more round connector?

Thumbs up Thanks!

On June 7 I asked if my problem was the Hall Sensor. Two of you, my friends, said yes. So, I took your word, ordered a new sensor, tore the bike apart, installed the sensor, put it back together, held my breath as I touched the starter. It runs great! Thanks for the help.
    Lester

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Carefully slice open the harness around the clamp area of your failed HES plate and this is what you will probably find. As Paul Glaves mentioned, heat, age and very hot moisture and this is what happens to the old wires which were not up to the task. In this case the brown and yellow wires are cracked open and the red has disintegrated to the point where it was shorted out.

P1010516sml.jpg
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT