Thread: Standing on my ('08) RT

Standing on my ('08) RT

I have learned that periodically standing up while riding provides a relaxing break from the "normal" riding position....great for the rear end, knees and hips. However at 6'3" standing is not always easy to do ergonomically...if the bars are too low, I can't hold the grips and stand straight up.

When I first got my (2006) R1200GS I had this issue and solved it with a set of bar risers. Now that bike is quite comfortable to stand straight up on.

I also have a 2008 1200RT (I'm the second owner) and this bike seems even more of a stretch to stand on. When I attempt to stand I have to bend at the waist or bend my knees...neither of which is as relaxing as I'd like. I believe that the PO already lowered the pegs, so I should be getting the benefit of that. Guess this leaves bar risers...which is OK, but 1" doesn't seem like it would solve my issue.

Anyone else solved this issue?
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Smile

My CLC has floor boards that allow me to stand occasionally when traveling long distance. I also have "highway pegs" that fold out from the center of the head.
    Being able to shift my legs & butt when riding keeps me comfortable.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    I have learned that periodically standing up while riding provides a relaxing break from the "normal" riding position....great for the rear end, knees and hips. However at 6'3" standing is not always easy to do ergonomically...if the bars are too low, I can't hold the grips and stand straight up.
    I'm 6'6" with short arms. I put peg lowers and bar risers on my 08 RT. I routinely stand with the cruise engaged for maybe a minute at a time at 20 minute intervals. I can't stand straight up, slightly piked at the waist. It has worked well for me. I never had a GS to compare.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post

When I first got my (2006) R1200GS I had this issue and solved it with a set of bar risers. Now that bike is quite comfortable to stand straight up on.

I also have a 2008 1200RT (I'm the second owner) and this bike seems even more of a stretch to stand on. When I attempt to stand I have to bend at the waist or bend my knees...neither of which is as relaxing as I'd like. I believe that the PO already lowered the pegs, so I should be getting the benefit of that. Guess this leaves bar risers...which is OK, but 1" doesn't seem like it would solve my issue.

It appears that I already have risers...I'd guess 1".
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

I set the cruise and just stand up without holding the bars. You can just ride no hands.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350