Thread: "Must See's" In the Northwest

Cool "Must See's" In the Northwest

Ok guy / gals,

For the long weekend, its going to be me and my motorcycle, heading Northwest out of Iowa. I'm planning on taking it by as it comes with no real plan. But IÔÇÖd like to know of so places ÔÇ£to seeÔÇØ if IÔÇÖm in the area.

Does anyone have a ÔÇ£must seeÔÇØ in North / South Dakota / Montana?

Thank you

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I like Devil's tower in Wyoming, and the needles highway in the black hills. The badlands rock, and if you like fossils, it is a great place to see them.

If you feel the same about corn as Greg Feeler and Fish do about sheep, then a stop at the corn palace in Mitchell, South Dakota is in order.

unless you have to pee or need gas, skip wall drug.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

In addition to Loraz' suggestions, I'd add Jewel Cave in the Black Hills. If you like caves, that is.

John

Glacier Nat Park is a must see for Montana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blocking the slow lane
    I like Wall Drug. We've wandered thru a couple times when we've stayed overnight in Wall.

Also, if you are going that far, get to Sheridan and ride up and down 14A. Its a fun road.

Jon
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Must see

Stop into Black Hills, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer's National Park, Mt. Rushmore,Bear Tooth pass, and Yellowstone. These are all worth your time if you are out in the Northwest.

MT State of mind
    Beartooth Pass is closed, do a search on this forum for the latest info, and consider Chief Joseph Hwy instead.

Rattlesnake Pass, WA
    A Motorcyclist's nocturnal emmision...
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

My concept of the "northwest" is apparently a little different than yours. I know that some folks think of the Dakotas as "northwest", but I think of anything east of the Rocky Mountains as "midwest". After all, it's just about the same distance from Chicago to Fargo as from Chicago to Washington DC. Then you can double that to get to Bozeman MT, and triple it to get to Seattle or Portland.

With apologies to anyone living in the "midwest" (ND, SD, NE, KS, etc.) it's a long ride between scenic vistas. That's why they have to do things like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace, and Carhenge.

To me, the "real" Northwest starts at about Missoula, and includes BC and Oregon. If you would like to read more about the Northwest, Whitehorse Press has just published a book, "Motorcycle Journeys Through The Pacific Northwest". 800 531-1133

And, one of the perks of being an AAA member (automobile, not alcohol) is their "Tourbooks" and maps. Just show your AAA card, and get everything you need for any state, free. I generally rely on Tourbooks to get a feel for the landscape and sights, and to find lodging and food. My Garmin doesn't do it, and it isn't updated annually, either.

pmdave

My Idea

Hi I agree with the northwest being west Alberta, British Columbia, West Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. All of these have great places to ride, "God's Country", but then again I live in Vancouver BC so this whole area is my play ground.

Quote Originally Posted by pmdave
    My concept of the "northwest" is apparently a little different than yours. I know that some folks think of the Dakotas as "northwest", but I think of anything east of the Rocky Mountains as "midwest". After all, it's just about the same distance from Chicago to Fargo as from Chicago to Washington DC. Then you can double that to get to Bozeman MT, and triple it to get to Seattle or Portland.

With apologies to anyone living in the "midwest" (ND, SD, NE, KS, etc.) it's a long ride between scenic vistas. That's why they have to do things like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace, and Carhenge.

To me, the "real" Northwest starts at about Missoula, and includes BC and Oregon. If you would like to read more about the Northwest, Whitehorse Press has just published a book, "Motorcycle Journeys Through The Pacific Northwest". 800 531-1133

And, one of the perks of being an AAA member (automobile, not alcohol) is their "Tourbooks" and maps. Just show your AAA card, and get everything you need for any state, free. I generally rely on Tourbooks to get a feel for the landscape and sights, and to find lodging and food. My Garmin doesn't do it, and it isn't updated annually, either.

pmdave
    Geoff May
    Cloverdale BC Canada

2006 R1200GS Adv
    1996 Triumph Sprint
    1993 R100GS
    1975 850 Norton Interstate
    1971 750 Norton Roadster
    1965 Honda 65
    1961 Ariel Golden Arrow
    1949 Ariel 350 Red Hunter

And California

The farthest west point on the continental United States is Cape Mendicino in California. At this point the San Andreas Fault turns west and cuts toward Hawaii. This is a pretty reasonable break point between the Pacific Northwest and "other" North of this point the Coast Redwoods really come into their range, Generous winter rainfall and steep convoluted mountains are the norm, but the summers dry hot and tar-melting hot. The motorcycle roads there are epic. They claim Sasquatch lives among them, so they must be Pacific Northwest.

North West?

[QUOTE=pmdave]My concept of the "northwest" is apparently a little different than yours. I know that some folks think of the Dakotas as "northwest", but I think of anything east of the Rocky Mountains as "midwest". After all, it's just about the same distance from Chicago to Fargo as from Chicago to Washington DC. Then you can double that to get to Bozeman MT, and triple it to get to Seattle or Portland.

I have to agree the northwest is B.C, Washington and Oregon ( some would say Alberta and Alaska also! So many things to see we should start a thread on that very subject.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

The sandhills of Nebraska are beautiful and absolutely no people. Start around Valentine.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."