Thread: Those damn deer!

Hybrid View

Those damn deer!

I guess all of us realize how they have proliferated in the last decade or two, and how few defenses we have against them as riders. Should preface this story by telling you I live out in the country where in the fall I'm sure a few deer get shot by legal hunters. But not nearly enough. All of us have problems with deer eating our gardens. So I'm sitting in my living room reading a book and glance out the window. Two deer are in the neighbors pasture grazing on the grass - hardly exciting. Next time I look up from the book there are six deer and one is grazing on my neighbors raspberry patch. I figure I have a neighborly duty to scare them off.

Get the old single barrel 12 gauge out of the gun case and grab a couple 1 ounce loads with number 9 pellets. (The gun is old, rusted inside and out, so I don't worry about cleaning it. The light hand loads are for my safety and the pellets very small so they will just sting an animal like a deer - though fine for dispatching magpies.)

I walk out the basement door and fire a shot over their heads. (If you are not familiar with the sound of a shotgun, suffice it to say I first put in earplugs.) That shot gets their attention. They all look at me and hold their positions. Then the closest deer walks toward me, and I'm glad there is a barbed wire fence between us. He is maybe 25 yards from me and I wait until he has lost interest in me and turned away before I shoot him in the flank. THAT deer did bound away. The rest left very slowly. I have no doubt they will be back to both our gardens.

The moral of this story? I think deer have changed. The sight of a person should have sent those deer running. CERTAINLY the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun should have! I believe deer are becoming more like raccoons - happy to live in close proximity to people and eat what those people will provide with no fear.

A couple years ago I rode my bike to a friend's rented duplex in Cranbrook, B.C. (a small city) and saw four deer lying down on the small lawn. My first thought as I pulled in was WHO THE HELL WOULD PUT OUT THOSE TAXIDERMY ANIMALS HERE! Then I saw an ear twitch. Later that year there were deer attacks on a woman walking a small dog IN THAT CITY.

Deer have become a serious problem across all of North America and I don't have any great solutions. I hope the mod's don't delete this thread because of the "gun component" in the post. I'm hoping to hear better ideas from you if this post is permitted.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Shoot 'em and eat 'em

No limits, donate to your local food bank when your freezer is full.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

More hunting is the only solution.
    And it's not a gun component. You can hunt them with bow and arrow. It sounds like these deer would be like fish in a barrel with a bow and arrow.
    They learn. And when they learn the house is no threat to them, but it is noisy, then nothing scares them away.
    They have become a very serious problem. One and one half million of them collide with cars, trucks and motorcycles, sometimes with fatal (to the human) results, every year.
    Each and every one of you pay for insurance to cover the cost of those accidents.
    It would be far better to kill them with a gun or bow and arrow, cleanly, fast, than with a vehicle, where they are horribly maimed and injured, and die a slow death.
    After gross financial costs.
    dc

na1g
    "...far better to kill them with a gun or bow and arrow, cleanly, fast, ..."

No, not really. There is nothing clean or fast about killing a deer with a bow and arrow. Deer can live in extreme pain for hours or days. It is quiet which, I believe, is why several communities around here (Eastern MA) allow bow and arrow "harvesting" but no guns. Like, it's OK to kill them but I don't want to hear it.

This is not to say I'd like to kill them with my car or bike. There is no convenient way to do a major thinning of the deer population. I'm afraid (literally) they'll be around for a long time, so caution and common sense is our means of survival. Avoid riding at dawn and dusk, if possible. Scan the roadside and into the woods, especially on country roads. At night watch for those blinking eyes along the road edge. At night, ride a safe distance behind a car that will extend your view ahead and perhaps clear a path.

Just when you thought smart phones were the biggest hazard, along comes Bambi and her family.

pete

The idea is that it is cleaner and faster than the car, or truck, or bike. Generally speaking, not in an absolute, every single time situation.
    If you get a good shot. If you can't get a good shot, you shouldn't take the shot.
    I already don't ride at dawn or dusk, or at night. I'm not going to give up the motorcycle because somebody else doesn't like it.
    dc

Tim
    Olympia, WA
    1991 K75 - 121k Miles

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post

This is not to say I'd like to kill them with my car or bike. There is no convenient way to do a major thinning of the deer population. I'm afraid (literally) they'll be around for a long time, so caution and common sense is our means of survival...

Just when you thought smart phones were the biggest hazard, along comes Bambi and her family.

pete
    Seems Mother Nature did a number on them here in Nebraska last year.

Between the drought stressing them, blue tongue, CWD and the other disease I can't recall the name of, lots of farmers reported getting several carcasses caught up in their combines in every field. That and the DNR reported the smallest harvest in quite some time. Tis spring is wetter than last and we will have to see what happens to the herd ifitmstays wet or goes dry.

In any case, the diseases will thin them effectively if allowed to take its course.

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post

No, not really. There is nothing clean or fast about killing a deer with a bow and arrow. Deer can live in extreme pain for hours or days. It is quiet which, I believe, is why several communities around here (Eastern MA) allow bow and arrow "harvesting" but no guns. Like, it's OK to kill them but I don't want to hear it.

This is not to say I'd like to kill them with my car or bike. There is no convenient way to do a major thinning of the deer population. I'm afraid (literally) they'll be around for a long time, so caution and common sense is our means of survival. Avoid riding at dawn and dusk, if possible. Scan the roadside and into the woods, especially on country roads. At night watch for those blinking eyes along the road edge. At night, ride a safe distance behind a car that will extend your view ahead and perhaps clear a path.

pete
    Have you ever bow hunted???????

I've shot deer with a bow that literally died standing on their feet after my broadhead passed completely thru their heart and lung.

Ethical bow hunters would not take a shot they didn't believe would result in a quick and clean kill. And the hundreds of thousands of deer that are harvested by bow hunters annually mean that many less on the road which reduces deer/motorcycle collisions.

We need more hunters.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post

I've shot deer with a bow that literally died standing on their feet after my broadhead passed completely thru their heart and lung.

Ethical bow hunters would not take a shot they didn't believe would result in a quick and clean kill. And the hundreds of thousands of deer that are harvested by bow hunters annually mean that many less on the road which reduces deer/motorcycle collisions.

We need more hunters.
    Bud,

Seriously, people don't have time for it. What we know of hunting is something that occurred after the conservation movement and the great depression. People had the time to hunt (the first week of deer season was a typical vacation period awarded based on seniority in many factories) and the game populations were maintained by the state agencies. Today, paid vacation is a disappearing commodity and the amount is ~10-days per year. In the 70's, the typical employee had 20~25-days of paid vacation after 25-yrs of service.

So, unless you're really hardcore or can live without an income, hunting is a major consumer of the precious available free time for most employees and, therefore, the number of participants has dwindled. Of course, then there is the land use issues and access and lease fees.....that some hunters advocate to maintain their hunting territory. Just try being a land owner near a group of avid hunters........everything is fine as long as you only let them hunt on your property. Let anyone hunt on your property and you'll have all sorts of fun come hunting season. I've never had an angry phone call from a Bambi lover, but I can count on at least 5 per deer season from angry hunters complaining about other hunters or making silly propositions ranging from asking to plant deer feed on my property (i.e., bait) to offering illegal drugs as lease payment.

Have a good one.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post

We need more hunters.
    We do need more hunters.
    And I think a lot of people don't know what broadheads are. I do, and that's why I posted what I posted.
    There are a number of places that are allowing hunting in the suburbs, as the deer are running rampant in some of those areas. They feel totally safe there and they do like to eat the nice expensive landscaping.
    And I can't imagine that it's any more fun to run into a deer when you are driving the kids to soccer practice as opposed to me on my motorcycle on a nice trip to Utah, Colorado, etc.
    dc

One almost got me this morning riding along the Ohio river. I swear my mirror brushed its white tail. Thank god for good brakes!

My neighbors and I all take two a year. I'm very generous with the meat to family and friends and we still have about all we can eat in a year. According to dnr my land should support 1 deer. . . I take two a year and allow two other guys to hunt who usually take 1 apiece.

I think the only way you could get it under control is free processing for meat to shelters, etc. problem with that is the do-gooder idiots who protest and get the meat thrown out

Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    One almost got me this morning riding along the Ohio river. I swear my mirror brushed its white tail. Thank god for good brakes!

My neighbors and I all take two a year. I'm very generous with the meat to family and friends and we still have about all we can eat in a year. According to dnr my land should support 1 deer. . . I take two a year and allow two other guys to hunt who usually take 1 apiece.

I think the only way you could get it under control is free processing for meat to shelters, etc. problem with that is the do-gooder idiots who protest and get the meat thrown out
    I'm fairly certain that your state will allow farmers to cull the deer herds on their properties to limit crop damage. In my state, that's the rule and darn few farmers waste their time shooting deer or even ground hogs (our local variety of marmots). First of all, why would anyone want to handle a flea and tic covered deer carcass in the warm weather and just think of all those lovely nice houses that are built in the pleasant rural areas.........you had best pick your shot carefully.

BTW - I hunted deer for most of my life and, as a kid, hunted ground hogs with my father's purpose built varmint guns.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744