Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Dragon...

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob
    What kinda tank bag is that???
    The factory bag. Works great, though at 11 years old, one of the zippers is busted and the elastic up front is pretty well shot. I'd buy another one. It's a pretty nice bag.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    one of the zippers is busted and the elastic up front is pretty well shot.
    You know that Bob Weis repairs those things, right? Great job and reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWGypsy
    You know that Bob Weis repairs those things, right? Great job and reasonable price.
    I thought he was outta that business.

I'm gonna have to send him a note.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Kbrick

from a rollin' Buckeye

Quote Originally Posted by Fourvalve
    I thought we weren't doing all that bad on our Airheads, dragging pegs & such, when a guy on a two-stroke dirtbike, with knobbies blasted around us in a corner and slithered away in the distance. Ok-I'm humble.
    The road doesn't seem to be patrolled at all-I spoke with a Sheriff; he said that they stay off those roads unless called to a scene.
    The surrounding area was beautiful, very few cars and the roads smooth. Good place to spend some quality two-wheeled time.
    I have just returned from the same ride! I ran the Skyway first then back through the Dragon for my return. Mid week it was empty in the morning when I rode it. I have to admit I was humbled when I saw a Goldwing leaned over and traveling at a high rate of speed in pursuit of a few riders on CBRs. That was on the Skyway where the curves are less intense but the views breathtaking, a shame to hurry.
    All that was written through the years about the Dragon are true in my opinion it is a feat to accomplish (with a heavy older KRS) and a heavyer older rider! I also give my kudos to those folks that ride their Harleys through the switchbacks with their significant others hanging on.
    You don't have to go fast to have a good time, a brisk pace will do.
    Good times kids good times.

scqtt
    I have been going there for years. The first time I went there on a BMW was in 97 or 98 on a 93 R100GS. I never forget getting stuck behind one of the kookiest cars I have ever seen. I got around him and was feeling pretty good about how fast I was going until two guys on CBR600s passed me, pegs sparking, and were quickly gone.

The car turned out to be test mule BMW Z3 Coupe. I guess it wasn't too far from home since 100% of worldwide production of Z3, Z4 & X5 are made in the US.

There are lots of locals on the Dragon that know every nuance. They go very fast on a surprisingly diverse mixture of bikes. Do not get sucked in and try to hang with the locals, it will kill you. You must ride at your own pace and skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    You ought to come out here some time, man.

Dave -- got any pics of Sir Francis Drake "Blvd." ???

One of my faves!

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

K12KOOP
    Quote Originally Posted by SCQTT
    There are lots of locals on the Dragon that know every nuance. They go very fast on a surprisingly diverse mixture of bikes. Do not get sucked in and try to hang with the locals, it will kill you. You must ride at your own pace and skill level.
    I resemble that remark...

And if you really want to be freaked out, go watch the guys who ride it at night. It is way dark up on the mtn.

Koop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by k12koop; 08-08-2005 at 01:55 AM.

scqtt

Thumbs up

Koop your left toes look a little warm

Nice photo

callmethebreeze

CA Roads

Ortega Highway, San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore. Hooyah.

K12KOOP
    Koop your left toes look a little warm

Nice photo
    It was getting there...

Curse those size 13 feet. That is my brother in front of me and when he and I get together it can be a testosterone fest.

Also, that picture is somewhat deceptive. We were looking for a shot with both of us in the frame. I (we) dont normally ride that close together. I can assure you however that was a spirited pace ride that day.

Back on topic however. Deals gap, is a very fun place to ride. Do not ride over your head, dont get sucked in trying to pace someone you meet there, and wear the gear.

If anyone comes down to my neck of the woods, ping me and I will see if I can meet or at the very least give you the heads up on some other good roads in this area.

Koop

scqtt
    Koop I've got 13s too

New Sidi toe sliders every other time I take the KTM Supermoto out.

Not even close to the ground on the 1100S BCR

Plan on bringing them both to the Dragon for a late fall ride.

K12KOOP
    Koop I've got 13s too

New Sidi toe sliders every other time I take the KTM Supermoto out.

Not even close to the ground on the 1100S BCR

Plan on bringing them both to the Dragon for a late fall ride.
    I am the king of shoe goo. Ping me when you get down and maybe we can link up

koop

steviewonder
    I ended up riding the Dragon back at night after my buddy took out the oil cooler line on his K1200RS going over a curb at Fontana Dam (pix attached). No cell phone service and a good ride to find a signal to call for assistance. Left the dam about midnight !!!

WAAAAY scary ... with that many turns the next curve is usually out of the light pattern as the bike lays over for the current turn !!!

steviewonder
    A more friendly view of the scenery ... beautiful unless you're waiting for a tow truck at about midnight !!!

I just noticed you are from Alcoa ... that's where my buddy lives and he also has a checkerboard K1200RS (the '99 model ... mine's the original '98)

K12KOOP
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonder
    A more friendly view of the scenery ... beautiful unless you're waiting for a tow truck at about midnight !!!

I just noticed you are from Alcoa ... that's where my buddy lives and he also has a checkerboard K1200RS (the '99 model ... mine's the original '98)
    I have not seen another Taxi in town but I will look for him. Is he a kind of big guy and bought that bike used from the Kaw dealer in Alcoa. If so I think I met him once. He was on the fence about buying one and I told him he would never regret it...

Koop