Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW Concept Ninety

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    What if they name it the R90S, I break my piggy bank and rob a bank so I can buy one then take the 90S markings off it; can I still post on the forum?
    Only if you post a picture of it!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    BMW AG, what are you waiting for? There are many that believe the R90S is one of the best looking bikes of all time. We love the R90S. We want a R90S. Build us a retro looking boxer painted Daytona Orange with silver and red trim.

The Britts seem to be doing well with retro looking bikes. Why not BMW?
    +1, Gunny; just let me know where I mail my down payment deposit check to, I want one!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

I might prefer a 2 into 1...mika
    Yes, the 2 into 2 is a bit busy.

Hopefully, BMW AG will put this bike on the show circuit, and generate some interest from younger buyers.

So here's the idea that's bouncing around in my head. I win the lotto, and commission Roland to build a cafe using the Concept 90 frame pieces, an HP2 Sport engine, a Remus 2 into 1 exhaust, and the usual Ohlin good stuff. We deepen the front fairing a bit, to soften the parabolic shape, extend the seat shell back a few inches, and paint it Midnight Blue.
    Last edited by RINTY; 05-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Hopefully, BMW AG will put this bike on the show circuit, and generate some interest from younger buyers.

So here's the idea that's bouncing around in my head.
    I have a headache.

My Roadster is back to basically stock condition. I have a box of parts for cafe and SM type setups. I see all sorts of ideas to steal from Sands' design, little things - more parts. More money. Do I play with the one I have or lord help me if BMW AG sells it do I buy a new one and start over?

Lotto ticket - I have to save to buy one so its off to work for me. (My holiday weekend starts Tuesday)
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I like the bike but really don't see it a 'retro'. Don't care for the valve cover design at all. Doesn't suit my taste enough for my money - but nicely done overall - as a new style.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    I have a headache......do I buy a new one and start over?
    Actually, I was just musing.... I don't want any more stuff.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

No longer a member here
    I am one of these guys who are in the fortunate postion to be able to spend money on a new bike.
    For this one, I am not going to open my wallet.
    I have said this before elsewhere: It seems to me that all these new exciting concepts and bikes that get discussions and exposure laely are single seaters. What's up with that?
    Is the focus market for these concepts and designs all these lone wolves who need to get away from home and satisfy their mid-life crisis longings of becoming a bad-ass biker?
    I have three bikes in my stable that are single seaters and they get hardly ridden throughout the season. Just because I share the passion of riding motorcycles with my wife and she preferes to ride behind me, on one of our bikes, instead of one of her own (two) bikes.
    Put a real seat on that thing and I may be looking at it.

Saddles are a very interesting discussion if you can move past ride height. The UJM bench had the advantage of being able to carry two people with ease. It allowed the solo rider to move about when you were touring giving seating alternatives that would allow you to pile up more miles. The down side was you weren't supported fore and aft when sport riding. Now we have many bikes with hybrid saddles that allow two up while limiting the movement of the rider. Too often they are the worst of both worlds. I have played with a GS Adv saddle on my Roadster. The thing is comfortable in many ways, has just enough shape to help with the sport riding but creates some aesthetic challenges.

I like Sands' design saddle and all. I can nit pic various things but I can do that with any bike. I prefer to ride solo so the saddle is not an issue. Bottom line (no pun intended) is it is a bike I would very much like to date but I am not certain I could live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    I like the bike but really don't see it a 'retro'. Don't care for the valve cover design at all. Doesn't suit my taste enough for my money - but nicely done overall - as a new style.
    I agree with you, but I really would like a retro bike. Give me a new front end, updated brakes, engine/trans, and a Paralever rear end. Keep the old style fairing and give it a seat that can handle riding two up. Throw a slash 7 style tank between them and your good to go. The tank could be made of aluminum to help keep the weight down and a two into one exhaust would be a nice touch.

There is not really anything new here. Just an old school skin over boxer components already in production. The start up and tooling cost to BMW AG should be minimal.

VW presented the "new" Beetle a few years back and it was a great hit. Sales ensured that VW of North America was able to keep their doors open instead of pulling out of the US market. Ford's retro looking Mustang has been a good seller and Dodge has done well with their Challenger. GM's Camero is even popular, but I am still asking myself why. The market is full of retro cars because there is a demand. Good time for BMW to bring out a retro motorcycle.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Douglas Williams
    I don't understand the issue about the designation. I'm pretty sure the parts folks would have no trouble if I tried to buy parts for a 2014 R90S. They're pretty sharp that way. It's hardly precedent setting either as MB, Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet have rebadged new versions of old models. I like the Charger, the Mustang, even the new Shelby, not so much the Camaro and I like the 2013/14 R90S, name and all. This opinion from a 3-BMW bike owner, the newest a 1989 and all three airheads. Sadly, none of them an R90S.
    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    See, what do I know! I never made it out of 1978...at least they were still "pretty good" up that point?? However, in the grand scheme, going back to 1923, they have been true to unique numbering than not...I guess that is the point I was trying to make.

I'd sure hate to obfuscate the venerable R90S Airhead. That's my vote...anything else except R90S!
    I'm with you Kurt, on the '78 and the name. I've had a R90s and don't think they should name this the same.
    What about R90ss ; the ss should mean it's faster, right?

The younger generation does have different ideas is seems. I have a MC buddy in his 30's; there is nothing he rather do than burn the tires off his bike. He has to get a new rear tire every couple of months, sometimes sooner. He's a good family guy but just hates rubber.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    What about R90ss ; the ss should mean it's faster, right?
    +1000 Me likey!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Bold move on this concept bike! If they bring something like this to the market BMW will find itself with a new, young, and much needed expanded customer base! Many purists may balk at it, but I for one think it rocks! I say build it and they will come! I mean seriously, look at the Ducati Diavel -did anyone think that would sell with its limited functionality? I see them all over the place now!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff.ferguson View Post
    ? I see them all over the place now!
    In Omaha?? Have not seen one on the road yet, and I have been to quite a few places in the last 15 months.

And BMW has to still come a long way to attract a younger crowd. First, they have to offer a bike in the 9-12K range that would compete in looks, image and performance with the Japanese sportbikes.