Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Concept Ninety

BMW Concept Ninety

All right you S fans. Check out the concept bike BMW has on their website.

More photos and write-up here:
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...ws.jsp&id=2271

935291_575870312443744_80090721_n.jpg
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

That's a great video...and the S is really nice...where's mine?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Left Coast Rider
    Shades of a Ducati Paul Smart replica. I like it but I'll take one with a pipe on both sides, please.

I like it but I'll take one with a pipe on both sides, please.
    The parallel "lines" on the valve covers are tryin' awful hard to be an airhead. In automotive design circles it's called a styling "cue". At this point it doesn't have a cue; needs more "S"- ness If they were really interesting some "retro image" they would have used something close to the original paint scheme on top of the new plastic.

"The BMW R 90 S goes back to a time when motorcyclists were regarded as social outlaws. There was something rebellious about them - they were fast, noisy and wild. It was all about pure emotion. And it remains fascinating to this day."
    Wha.. ? Are we talking about this planet Earth? The American Honda Motor Company was established in 1959, and in 1963 started daring us to "meet the nicest people on a Honda". Americans had six years to "re-befriend" the motorcycle and when the CB750 was successfully introduced to the States in 1969, they sold as many as they could build. The R90S was still almost five years away from hitting the street.

I don't mind a little spin, but com'on.. . .

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I would buy this modern version of a true classic. Lets see if they put the wethead motor in this dream machine.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Love the top 1/2, the bottom 1/2.....not so much.

Wheels are so so, cans are kinda ugly and the valve covers......

BMW AG, what are you waiting for? There are many that believe the R90S is one of the best looking bikes of all time. We love the R90S. We want a R90S. Build us a retro looking boxer painted Daytona Orange with silver and red trim.

The Britts seem to be doing well with retro looking bikes. Why not BMW?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Whoa.
    NOYCE
    Me want.
    Tool up now.

I LIKE IT! It makes me want to ride.

I like many of Roland Sands designs. There is much to like about this.

I am curious about how they handled the airbox. I like the look of it. What has me curious is the impact on hp. In the days of the R90S we would uncork performance by doing away with the factory airbox air cleaner systems and use individual K&N or something like that. At one point airbox designs became pressurized contraptions and removing them actually damage performance.

I am just a bit iffy about the pipes. They are a bit too much Street Tracker but not bad. I might prefer a 2 into 1 with a single can like theres. I want the rear wheel opened up a bit more both visually and for practical reasons.

I find myself trying to figure a way to put R90S bars on the thing without wrecking the cockpit so that I could enjoy the full tank of gas without stopping. I am able to do clip on bars but not for a full tank. This is a bike I don?t think I would want to get off from until I had to fuel it. Even then you might try to fuel it from the saddle because you wouldn?t want to give it up to another rider.

BMW Concept Ninety.
    90 years of BMW Motorrad, 90 years of two-wheeled history ? hardly another motorcycle manufacturer can boast such a longstanding and successful heritage as BMW. The BMW R 90 S likewise has cause to celebrate: the BMW Motorrad design icon turns 40 this year. As a tribute to both these anniversaries, the BMW Group is presenting a very special model at the Concorso d?Eleganza Villa d?Este 2013: the BMW Concept Ninety. In partnership with the custom bike company Roland Sands Design, the BMW Motorrad design team has come up with an exclusive homage to the BMW R 90 S. Former motorcycle racer Roland Sands and his team are among the most in-demand partners in the custom bike scene. Their design standards and the technical finesse with which they implement their high-class custom and performance parts endow the BMW Concept Ninety with an exclusive and self-assured presence. This cooperative venture elevates both Roland Sands Design and BMW Motorrad Design to a new level.

I LIKE IT. It makes me want to ride! It's raining and I don't care. I LIKE IT and I'm going riding!
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I realize it's a concept, but can they or do they really want to call this an R90S? From my standpoint, the name R90S is already taken!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

From my standpoint, the name R90S is already taken!
    +1

Not to mention that the original "S" was a two-seater.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Like it! I agree they shouldn't use the same name, but they do own the rights... How many different Hondas were named the Hawk...? And Harley just swaps the verbiage around according to the chrome & paint options.

BMW's been pretty good about not mixing names. Go to the parts counter in the future ask for a part for your R90S!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Homage bike concept name.

As I was riding I kept thinking about a line Eric Heinrich gives after the Sands introduction. Something along the lines...

I thought about giving him sketches then decided to bring a prototype instead. He rode it and after some burn outs came in smiling.

Then I thought about the blue and white bike in the foreground of the early shots. I like it too from what I can see.

LUCY. it's gona get spensive around here.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    I thought about giving him sketches then decided to bring a prototype instead. He rode it and after some burn outs came in smiling.
    My interest went to zero at the mention of burn outs. What does that have to do with a R90s or motorcycling?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744