Thread: BMW jacket zippers

BMW jacket zippers

Was getting the first service done today on the C650GT and was looking at some of the Motorrad jackets. Tried one on that was on a bargain rack. Noticed the zipper pull is on the left?? Looked over a few that werent' on the bargain rack and they too were on the left. Seems backwards to me. I know for some off reason, ladies buttons are opposite to a mens, not sure if the same is true for a womens
    jacket, but at any rate I checked and the jackets I were looking at were mens.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Don't know for sure, but think this may be a "European thing." There are "opposite side" zippers on all three layers of my Rev-It Sand jacket too. The good news is that you will get used to them pretty quickly. Do check out a couple of BMW zipper threads before you spring for a new jacket.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by GILLY View Post
    Was getting the first service done today on the C650GT and was looking at some of the Motorrad jackets. Tried one on that was on a bargain rack. Noticed the zipper pull is on the left?? Looked over a few that werent' on the bargain rack and they too were on the left. Seems backwards to me. I know for some off reason, ladies buttons are opposite to a mens, not sure if the same is true for a womens
    jacket, but at any rate I checked and the jackets I were looking at were mens.
    Zippers in Europe are on the left. easy to get used to.
    regards
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

I don't think the zippers have anything to do with where they're produced. I have a lot of jackets and coats from all over the world. I think it's more designer preference than geographic or gender based.

Jason
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

na1g
    I vote for the "European thing". In the US most women's stuff has the left-handed zipper, too.

"Easy to get used to." ? Yeah, but it's frustrating for a while, especially if all your other gear is right-handed. But if you can't work a left-handed two-way zipper in less than 20 seconds, you should take the car.

pete
    Pie fixes everything.

Zippers

Not to mention, BMW has the smallest zippers I've seen. On my Darien, I just grab the big zipper and zip right up but on my BMW, gotta search for it, then fiddle with that left sided thing.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Advantage...Adjustments can be made on the fly!

I have BMW pants and jackets. All have the zippers placed in the normal, North American way. Some of the liners are fussy though, and come apart unless I am scrupulous about the initial placement.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

Zip dee do dah

I just had my savannah jacket main zipper replaced with larger YKK (Size 5), also had the velcro upgraded everywhere. Thanks to Narains Outdoors in Berkeley, CA.

I think I can get another 10 years out of her now!

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 36392 View Post
    Advantage...Adjustments can be made on the fly!
    +1 for sure!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

BMW Zipper Problem . . . . .

I have a set of Streetguard 3 gear. After the Bloomburg Rally I went North and found a problem with my jacket zipper. I went to a repair place in Auburn, NY and thought I could have a new zipper sewn in to replace the original. I was told the zipper from BMW was "welded" in so they could not help. Luckily the problem was almost to the top so they put a stopper where the problem had been.
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    Last edited by CTellman; 06-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.