Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Water Water

Ed Kilner #176066
    It's always nice to hear about great customer service.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Calmelbaks and endurance

Quote Originally Posted by bobr9 View Post
    I assume this is the "backpack" type of Camelbak? If so, I would be interested in hearing from those who use a backpack type system if having to carry this added weight on your shoulders affects your endurance for long rides? I have been looking at this option but am concerned about this possibility. Not as young as I used to be and am planning a cross country trip to the Rally in July, so I need all the help I can get.
    I have bicycled numerous centuries wearing a 72oz. Camelbak and I never noticed the extra weight. Perhaps it would be noticeable while sitting erect, but I've never used one on my old 3-speed, only on road bikes.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

I ended up getting a 2 litre geigerrig, which has the pressurized delivery feature. Got it today but have not tried it yet. Looks well made.

I've used a 2L backpack Hydrapak (minimalist version) as well as a 3L inside my riding jacket pocket on my RT. No problems whatsoever with weight... Would never give it up, I wear it for anything over 1/2 hour ride.
    John.

Water Options

I use a 70 oz. Camelbak bladder in the back pad pocket of my Olympia Airglide jacket. It has the back protector pad between me and the bladder. Easy to remove to refill and I use the built in hook to connect to the hanging loop on the top of Olympia. It keeps the bladder from falling down in the pocket as it empties. The hose comes out and over my shoulder so either the wife or I can drink. The weight is not felt when sitting.
    Bill Reitz
    Huntington Beach, CA "Surf City"
    2006 K1200LT

I use an 100 oz camelback and wear it in it's pack. Never notice the extra weight and no issue getting free ice at gas stops.

Mesh pocket bladder

I carry a large camelback in the pocket apparently designed for it in my mesh jacket. Don't notice the weight. When it's cool enough to not need mesh I just carry a kleen kanteen in that monster tank bag on the RT. Only drawback I've found to the camelback is having to pull over to pee more often than if I do not have constant access to water. I have been known to strap gallon jugs of water to the frame of my airhead with the bottoms resting on the passenger pegs weight supported by connecting strap on seat. Can't seem to recall why I was carrying that much water, but do remember it worked well. I also carry a backpacker filter for safe reloads.
    Back in the ole days we used to mount nautical beverage holders on fairings so riders could enjoy a beer without spilling in the turns. Times have changed eh.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

Quote Originally Posted by JimOKC View Post
    I have a old tank bag from my crotch rocket days that I always wondered what the sleeve on the bottom of it was for. After a trip (in July) to Colorado from Oklahoma and back I finally figured it out. On the way to the mountains I wore a camel back but it never stayed cold for too long, but on the way home I slide it in the sleeve and pulled the hose out thru the back of bag and I was surprised how long the water stayed cold. Of course the first slug of water was hot as hell but after that was great, now if I could find one that you could pressurize-that would be way cooool
    Geigerrig! http://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-G2-0.../dp/B00870DGDS
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

Prevost (30 miles north of Montreal), Quebec, Canada
    Bought a Geigerrig Shuttle a month ago for my plan trip to the MOA Rally from Montreal. After trying it a few times, I have found that filling it with ice and water would keep the water cold for about 2 hours.

Looking for a solution to keep the water cold for a longer preriod, I took out the hydration engine and bought a 13" Laptop neoprene case and had some alumimum foil covered air bubble wrap that I covered the hydration engine with before packing it in the neoprene case.

With this modification, I can keep the water cold for over 6 hours in 100 deg F weather.

This made my 6,000 miles round trip feasible while keeping me hydrated.
    2011 R1200RT Triple Gray, ABS, ASC, ESAII, TPMS & Alarm.
    Wunderlich Engine and Rear Prot. Bar, Oil Cooler Guard, CSS Tank Pads, Paralever Slider, Mirror Adapters & Flash Mirrors,
    Integrated GPS Mount & Touratech Zumo 660 Locking Mount, Russell Day-Long Seat.

alternative to bladders

Is there any type of device that contains hose and bite valve that screws directly onto a store bought bottle, like "aquafina" or Ozarka or Gatorade or whatever, but something that can be bought when getting gas?

It would be cold, could be put into an inside pocket of a jacket to help cool you down, or an outside pocket, or put into a fridge/freezer for overnight, etc.

It appears the screw tops of the bottles are all the same size. Maybe I'm wrong on that?
    They could be refilled if desired, or carried as a six pak somewhere? but the access tubing and bite valve would be the key.

John

Aerostich has a "universal drinking tube kit". It has different size tops for standard size bottles, a long section of tube and bite valve. I have one and it works well. Sounds like what you are looking for.
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT
    2013 F800R

Quote Originally Posted by rhyeks View Post
    Aerostich has a "universal drinking tube kit". It has different size tops for standard size bottles, a long section of tube and bite valve. I have one and it works well. Sounds like what you are looking for.
    yup...thanks