Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water Water

Cool

I use a 70oz Camelback filled with ice & water and supplement it with a 1 liter bottle of water at my last stop for gas before setting up camp for the night. The bottle water is used for coffee & cooking. As I travel solo this works fine for me.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Thumbs up

Good old Walmart sell a water bladder with a decent length hose and bite valve, in the camping section for under $10 !! The fill opening is big enough to easily add ice before topping up with water, as a bonus the bite valves are replaceable. I keep mine in my tank bag for easy access while riding- works well for limited financial outlay
    I also carry a Britta filter bottle as a back up supply- works well and eliminates funky flavours in remote spots.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    My first gear Kathmandu came with a small camelback that attaches to the coat with Velcro straps, works great. As other said, fill it with ice and water in hot weather can it keeps your back cool as well as provides water at any time.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Tank Bag

I have a old tank bag from my crotch rocket days that I always wondered what the sleeve on the bottom of it was for. After a trip (in July) to Colorado from Oklahoma and back I finally figured it out. On the way to the mountains I wore a camel back but it never stayed cold for too long, but on the way home I slide it in the sleeve and pulled the hose out thru the back of bag and I was surprised how long the water stayed cold. Of course the first slug of water was hot as hell but after that was great, now if I could find one that you could pressurize-that would be way cooool

To pressurize water bag blow air down the tube to pump it up before drinking.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

KevinRT
    It seems everyone with a Camelbak or similar puts it in the tankbag. I don't as my tankbag is filled with clothes. You don't mention what bike you ride, but if you have an RT (maybe some other models too), you can place a water bladder in the glove compartment and thread the hose to the handlebars or to a tankbag as I do. Works great, keeps the water cool as it is out of the sun (unless you stop for a period of time in which case engine heat heats it up fairly quickly), keeps it off your back, and is drinkable while riding.

I carry two collapsible water containers (2 litres each) for the campsite.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRT View Post
    you can place a water bladder in the glove compartment.
    Interesting. What size bladder do you put in the glove compartment?

Water...

I have used a Camelback filled, placed into the freezer overnight and then hung over the support for my backrest. I tuck the hose into the corner of my tank bag. I have ice water most of the day. To prevent that first blast of hot water simply blow air back into the hose after a drink. It worked great. on subsequent days, I just use ice and water. It still works...

Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    I use a 70oz Camelback filled with ice & water

RIDE SAFE
    I assume this is the "backpack" type of Camelbak? If so, I would be interested in hearing from those who use a backpack type system if having to carry this added weight on your shoulders affects your endurance for long rides? I have been looking at this option but am concerned about this possibility. Not as young as I used to be and am planning a cross country trip to the Rally in July, so I need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by JimOKC View Post
    now if I could find one that you could pressurize-that would be way cooool
    Geigerrig makes a pressurized hydration system. Backpack style with a bulb to pressurize. Actually looks pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr9 View Post
    I assume this is the "backpack" type of Camelbak? If so, I would be interested in hearing from those who use a backpack type system if having to carry this added weight on your shoulders affects your endurance for long rides? I have been looking at this option but am concerned about this possibility. Not as young as I used to be and am planning a cross country trip to the Rally in July, so I need all the help I can get.
    I use a backpack Camelbak it is a 70 oz size and only a water pack. I would not go with one any larger or is a multi pack. This is from personal experience. The 70oz only water pack I use I can't till I have it on compared to the larger multi I had.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

My hydration setup for long distance is a Camelback "Unbottle" - the bladder in a neoprene-type case that can be strapped down and a soft sided Polar Bear Cooler - I either freeze water in the bladder or fill it with ice and water. The insulated bladder goes into the cooler with the hose sticking out, strapped to the pillion seat behind me. The cooler is filled with ice when possible and I've got cold water for the day - even in 100+ degree days!

You can find the Camelback Unbottle can be found at REI (was in there the other day and saw them)
    Stay hydrated!!!
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

I wear the Camelback and find that it cools my back when riding in hot 90+deg weather. After a sip of cool water I blow back thru the bite tube to keep as much cool water in the Camelback as possible. I have tried MIO to flavor the water but have found that plain water works best for me when riding.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

KevinRT
    Interesting. What size bladder do you put in the glove compartment?
    I'm not sure what size I have as I bought many years ago. I just filled it with 3 litres but I think it might be rated for 2.5 litres. I can typically fill up about 2/3 full and still fit it into the glove compartment, so usable volume is probably around 2 litres. I can't remember running out of water though I do come close sometimes.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Klean Kanteen - Great Warranty

Recently, I acquired a used Klean Kanteen that is not in the best shape. It has about a one inch diameter dent near the bottom, but who cares. It's just going in my tank bag or my day pack. Unknown to me when purchased, it also has a small seam crack by the dent. Fill the bottle and you have an instant leak. Darn.

My solution? This last weekend, I went for a ride to visit family living in Chico, Ca. While I was there, I dropped the bottle off at Klean Kanteen's office. Their guy took one look at the bottle and said, "Oh, you have a seam separation, let me get you a new bottle." No red tape or paperwork to fill out. No garbage about a dent causing the seam to split. Nothing. They just took my bottle and handed me a new one. To top it off, they let me keep my old cap as an extra and even provided me with two replacement O ring seals for the lid. Great service.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6