Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57

Thread: RT vs GTL

  1. #31
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Significant yes but both are aimed at the touring market. It's actually very common for these bikes to be compared by people thinking about a touring bike despite the differences.
    And as with so many kinked comparisons, they only serve the purpose to justify a preformed opinion. Why are these people not comparing an F800GT witht he R1200RT and with the K1600GT? And... many, many people tour on a GS. What's up with that?

  2. #32
    MOA #188066 tf78933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    And as with so many kinked comparisons, they only serve the purpose to justify a preformed opinion. Why are these people not comparing an F800GT witht he R1200RT and with the K1600GT? And... many, many people tour on a GS. What's up with that?
    I started this particular thread. I ride an R1200RT and absolutely love it. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) my girlfriend loves it too. She has no desire to ride her own bike so we are two-up a lot. Long distance, and camping at rallys, etc. Other than a 10 minute ride on a 1600 GTL, I have no experience with anything but a boxer. I was looking for someone with experience with both machines because as was previously mentioned both are tourers. Yes, you can make an argument for the 800, or the 1600GT, but I am not interested in either one of those.

    Also considering a trailer and how that might effect either bike. (oh, boy. Here it comes now)

  3. #33
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    And as with so many kinked comparisons, they only serve the purpose to justify a preformed opinion. Why are these people not comparing an F800GT witht he R1200RT and with the K1600GT? And... many, many people tour on a GS. What's up with that?
    I don't know other than most feel the F800 is too small. That is not necessarily the case with RT v GTL. And, yes some do compare the GS's but given the nature of the GS my experience has been most comparisons involve RT v GTL. Have not made a scientific count of that however so could be wrong. I'm just calling it as I experienced it.

  4. #34
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    I started this particular thread. I ride an R1200RT and absolutely love it. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) my girlfriend loves it too. She has no desire to ride her own bike so we are two-up a lot. Long distance, and camping at rallys, etc. Other than a 10 minute ride on a 1600 GTL, I have no experience with anything but a boxer. I was looking for someone with experience with both machines because as was previously mentioned both are tourers. Yes, you can make an argument for the 800, or the 1600GT, but I am not interested in either one of those.

    Also considering a trailer and how that might effect either bike. (oh, boy. Here it comes now)
    I have substantial RT experience and minimal GTL experience. Rode Gold Wings for a number of years.
    First time I rode an RT I fell in love with it as it felt more like a motorcycle to me. Pure opinion nothing more. Totally meaningless if you like a GTL better.

  5. #35
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    And as with so many kinked comparisons, they only serve the purpose to justify a preformed opinion. ..........
    Really?

  6. #36
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    And as with so many kinked comparisons, they only serve the purpose to justify a preformed opinion. Why are these people not comparing an F800GT witht he R1200RT and with the K1600GT? And... many, many people tour on a GS. What's up with that?
    Are you angry about something? We're only talking comparisons here.

  7. #37
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Are you angry about something? We're only talking comparisons here.
    What in the world would I be angry about? If you read my previous posts, you see I own both an R1100RT and a K1600GT. I am saying that the RT, even the latest R1200RT and the K16 compare like apples and pears.
    That's the opinion of an owner of both and not that of an occasional rider of either.
    I do not recall many people in the past trying to compare a K1200LT with an R1150RT, why do we suddenly try to compare RT with GT(L) and attempt to rate one above the other?
    And the "comparison" is even more off, if you pick the GTL instead of the GT. Just look at the prices and the equipment packages.

  8. #38
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    I started this particular thread. I ride an R1200RT and absolutely love it. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) my girlfriend loves it too. She has no desire to ride her own bike so we are two-up a lot. Long distance, and camping at rallys, etc. Other than a 10 minute ride on a 1600 GTL, I have no experience with anything but a boxer. I was looking for someone with experience with both machines because as was previously mentioned both are tourers. Yes, you can make an argument for the 800, or the 1600GT, but I am not interested in either one of those.
    So what was the reason for your inquiry? Did you just want to hear confirmation that you got a great bike in the R1200RT and you do not need a K1600GTL? And why, if you compare your R1200RT with another bike of similar qualities would you absolutely not be interested to include the 800GT and the 1600GT. Both are much closer to your R1200RT than the 1600GTL is.

    Here is the "Touring" line-up the way I see it: F800GT - R1200RT - K1600GT - K1600GTL
    -R1200GS -

    I would rate the R1200GS and RT on the same level, except for the GS more for a single rider and the RT more for two-up, mainly because the pillion position on the RT is more comfortable. And of course, if your "touring" includes the occasional excursion on non-paved highways, there is no alternative to the GS.
    In the end, everybody will vote for what his/her preference is, based on (emotional?) intangible reasons and/or financial considerations.

    I think this thread - at least for me - has run its course.

  9. #39
    MOA #188066 tf78933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    So what was the reason for your inquiry? Did you just want to hear confirmation that you got a great bike in the R1200RT and you do not need a K1600GTL? And why, if you compare your R1200RT with another bike of similar qualities would you absolutely not be interested to include the 800GT and the 1600GT. Both are much closer to your R1200RT than the 1600GTL is.

    Here is the "Touring" line-up the way I see it: F800GT - R1200RT - K1600GT - K1600GTL
    -R1200GS -

    I would rate the R1200GS and RT on the same level, except for the GS more for a single rider and the RT more for two-up, mainly because the pillion position on the RT is more comfortable. And of course, if your "touring" includes the occasional excursion on non-paved highways, there is no alternative to the GS.
    In the end, everybody will vote for what his/her preference is, based on (emotional?) intangible reasons and/or financial considerations.

    I think this thread - at least for me - has run its course.
    Mike, you do write like you have a chip on your shoulder. Nothing wrong with the 800, or the GS. Just not my style. I don't think the 800 would be near as comfortable with a pillion. Neither has the element protection of the RT or the GTL either. I wasn't asking for an opinion on the soundness of my rational for comparing the RT with GTL. I have my reasons. I was simply asking if anyone had experience with both bikes and pros and cons of each in relation to the other. With the exception of Walker, not much in the way of constructive comments here. The 1600 tourer site was much more constructive.

  10. #40
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    Mike, you do write like you have a chip on your shoulder. ....


    With the exception of Walker, not much in the way of constructive comments here. The 1600 tourer site was much more constructive.
    What did I say makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder? I tried to make constructive comments but it seems you don't want to hear them unless they are what you want to hear = the R1200RT is the best bike in the world.

    I do get tired of threads that turn in circles.

  11. #41
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    What did I say makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder? I tried to make constructive comments but it seems you don't want to hear them unless they are what you want to hear = the R1200RT is the best bike in the world.

    I do get tired of threads that turn in circles.
    If two of us have passed comments you may want to re-think about how you come across. You certainly don't have to if you choose not to. No big deal. I imagine we'll get over it.

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    70
    Threads that ask for an opinion always run in circles. As soon as you say something that someone doesn't agree with you have opened the door for dispute, especially from the Kool-Aid drinkers.

    Truth be told trying to compare an RT to a GT/GTL is a waste of time. The RT is a great bike and has proven itself time and time again. I ride my sons RT on occasion and in many respects I like it more than my GTL save for the fact it is not liquid cooled and has a dry clutch. I also don't care for the way the lower fairing juts outward and hits my leg when stopped.

    The K1600 is intoxicating in its power and smoothness, save for the driveline snatch as some call it. It is loaded with farkles from the factory that are nice to have but in reality aren't really needed, but you still pay for them. The absurd Bluetooth setup is one such item. I can't listen to the radio without spending a crap load of money on "extras" to let me do so. What's with that??? I refuse to pay a ton of money to get the BMW/Schuberth setup that should have been standard on a $25,000.00 motorcycle. Engine guard bars should have also been designed into the K1600 not an add on option especially as easily as this bike gets damaged in a drop. Remember how well protected the 1200 LT was in a drop situation? Not so on a K1600 without optional guard bars.

    For me the K1600 GTL is a more comfortable ride than the GT or RT. Perhaps the new liquid cooled RT will be more to my liking and if so I will make the switch when it comes. I hope BMW doesn't mess up the protection the fairing offers on the new RT like they did on the K1600 compared to the old 1200 LT that it replaced. And yes the GTL does have a certain nervousness at speed that the RT does not have especially around large vehicles. For me at least I don't feel that same nervousness around large vehicles on my sons RT. Both bikes have top cases so perhaps one day I will take them off and see what happens in a comparison.

    Rick

  13. #43
    MOA #188066 tf78933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcop@wi.rr.com View Post
    Threads that ask for an opinion always run in circles. As soon as you say something that someone doesn't agree with you have opened the door for dispute, especially from the Kool-Aid drinkers.

    Truth be told trying to compare an RT to a GT/GTL is a waste of time. The RT is a great bike and has proven itself time and time again. I ride my sons RT on occasion and in many respects I like it more than my GTL save for the fact it is not liquid cooled and has a dry clutch. I also don't care for the way the lower fairing juts outward and hits my leg when stopped.

    The K1600 is intoxicating in its power and smoothness, save for the driveline snatch as some call it. It is loaded with farkles from the factory that are nice to have but in reality aren't really needed, but you still pay for them. The absurd Bluetooth setup is one such item. I can't listen to the radio without spending a crap load of money on "extras" to let me do so. What's with that??? I refuse to pay a ton of money to get the BMW/Schuberth setup that should have been standard on a $25,000.00 motorcycle. Engine guard bars should have also been designed into the K1600 not an add on option especially as easily as this bike gets damaged in a drop. Remember how well protected the 1200 LT was in a drop situation? Not so on a K1600 without optional guard bars.

    For me the K1600 GTL is a more comfortable ride than the GT or RT. Perhaps the new liquid cooled RT will be more to my liking and if so I will make the switch when it comes. I hope BMW doesn't mess up the protection the fairing offers on the new RT like they did on the K1600 compared to the old 1200 LT that it replaced. And yes the GTL does have a certain nervousness at speed that the RT does not have especially around large vehicles. For me at least I don't feel that same nervousness around large vehicles on my sons RT. Both bikes have top cases so perhaps one day I will take them off and see what happens in a comparison.

    Rick
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks Rick.

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    671
    Yes, a good review without any attitude or hyperbole, based on actual experience on both.

  15. #45
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcop@wi.rr.com View Post
    Truth be told trying to compare an RT to a GT/GTL is a waste of time.
    That was exactly what I was saying and I "have a chip on my shoulder".....And frankly, nothing that Rick said, wasn't said somehow before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •