Thread: RT vs GTL

Hybrid View

RT vs GTL

I tried to search but came up empty. I know this question has been asked before. I love my RT. Unfortunately, my wife and I rode a GTL Saturday and wow, very nice bike. Roomier, more stable at high speed, smooth, expen$ive.

90% of my riding is two-up. We are considering a pop up camper to tow to rallies. My wife has never camped and we'll see how sleeping on the ground goes at the RA rally.

Questions I would like to have answered.

Weather protection for the passenger on the GTL? She sits up higher and loves that, but what about rain?
    towing capabilities. I'm sure The GTL would handle it better, but am I ok to tow a $250 lb trailer with the RT.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has made this swap. Regrets? Content?

Thank you for input.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    I tried to search but came up empty. I know this question has been asked before. I love my RT. Unfortunately, my wife and I rode a GTL Saturday and wow, very nice bike. Roomier, more stable at high speed, smooth, expen$ive.

90% of my riding is two-up. We are considering a pop up camper to tow to rallies. My wife has never camped and we'll see how sleeping on the ground goes at the RA rally.

Questions I would like to have answered.

Weather protection for the passenger on the GTL? She sits up higher and loves that, but what about rain?
    towing capabilities. I'm sure The GTL would handle it better, but am I ok to tow a $250 lb trailer with the RT.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has made this swap. Regrets? Content?

Thank you for input.
    Adding a trailer IMO adds an unacceptable degree of risk. I would never recommend putting a spouse on the back and then adding a trailer. Of course, if you're trying to be single this just may do the job .

I was always curious about trailers and thought I'd get one eventually until I read the trailer write-up here today.
    Look on the MOA home page here. Very eye-opening and at least several reasons to NOT get a trailer.

No longer a member here
    RT vs GTL? Strange comparison. It's like deciding between a Ford Taurus and a Ford Explorer.
    What made you decide to buy an RT vs an LT?
    I also love my RT. I bought a GT and kept the RT. I know , it is not an option for everyone, but the bikes are too different to either one take the other's place.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

RT vs. GT instead of RT vs. GTL

I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed. The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Every GT rider who has heard this story tells me to test ride a GT - that it's a totally different bike with completely different characteristics and ergonomics, and it's rock-solid stable at speed and when passing large vehicles or encountering side or cross-winds.

Were I in the market for a cross-country sport touring bike, I'd compare the RT to the GT - not the GTL.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed. The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Every GT rider who has heard this story tells me to test ride a GT - that it's a totally different bike with completely different characteristics and ergonomics, and it's rock-solid stable at speed and when passing large vehicles or encountering side or cross-winds.

Were I in the market for a cross-country sport touring bike, I'd compare the RT to the GT - not the GTL.
    I've only sat on a GT and it felt a lot like the RT. They have a nice red used one in one of the local dealers and when I had my fuel strip replaced last weekend, it made me think. The thing that made me say no was that it's a first year bike and it's almost 2/3 through warranty mileage wise. Out of warranty repairs on an RT can be heart stopping, on a first year model like this, cremating.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Loading the Bike

GTL for day...

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway sped.e The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Having a GTL for a day provides very little time to become familiar with all it has to offer. The comment about "I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed." suggests the Ride Mode may have been set to Dynamic. In this Mode the throttle is adjusted so the throttle reacts very quickly. When you take the power of the straight 6 engine, while in the Dynamic mode, from 60-70mph and you give the throttle a good quick twist the bike will launch forward and if your not ready, you're going to feel uncomfortable. As for Wind turbulence when passing large vehicles one must always expect some level of turbulence. On the GTL, in Dynamic mode, the bike will boost the MPH to 90-100+. And, if your not ready for that, the speed of the bike will add to the turbulence just as the Top Box will. Bottom line, I feel, is that the GTL provided exactly what your input asked for, problem was you were not as familiar with the GTL capabilities. FYI- You'll see similar handling with the GT if the Mode setting is in Dynamic mode. I think you will like either K1600 once you more familiar with all of it's capabilities.

I can't tell you how many BMW's, non 1600's, as well as many other bikes have been left behind when they try to pass at 60-75mph. I'll pull over at the next stop, as many of the other bikes will also pull in, and the first thing I see is a shaking head and a big smile once they see the Touring bike that left them behind. I still find the performance of my GTL quite amazing. I will not even mention what happened to an F6B.