Thread: The more I do, the more problems I create... (more of a rant than anything) 1985 K100

The more I do, the more problems I create... (more of a rant than anything) 1985 K100

On a 1985 K100RS, I know it's 23 years old and rubber pieces and nuts/bolts need refreshing. The bike runs well, besides a high idle that I'm going to leave alone. I replaced the handle bar rubber and ended up stripping the thread on the mount (a set os bought off ebay). Replaced missing bolts on the heat shield and now it rattles like crazy whereas before it didn't make a noise even with missing bolts.

I think I just need to leave well enough alone. Do the services at regular intervals and repair problems instead of creating them.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 05-22-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added year/model to title

You know, I tend to agree somewhat. I have found that disassembly can sometimes disturb the patina that is, in some cases, keeping things sealed. Still, all those rubber bits are getting really old. So if there are some you know you haven't replaced, you might want to just pre-order them for that inevitable time you have to replace something in the area, and don't want to be waiting a week for a $2 o-ring to arrive. And as Don Eilenberger likes to point out, just having the part on hand may prevent you from ever having to replace it at all.

To start with lose the heat shield

Not needed and you lighten the bike by 6oz!

I had a noisy heat shield because one of the square nut captures had worn through. When I had the heat shield off I gave it a little tweak and now it doesn't vibrate. I never fixed the nut capture. Problem solved.
    Jim McGill
    '87 K100RS
    '04 R1150RT

I like the looks of the heat shield but can't be bothered with the rattles. Mine is standing in the garage.

I have had to redo several jobs before because I'm a bad mechanic that enjoys wrenching. Doing it twice teaches me the same lesson, I just take longer to learn it.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

James and his 1988 K100LT

Quote Originally Posted by jpevehouse View Post
    I like the looks of the heat shield but can't be bothered with the rattles. Mine is standing in the garage.
    A friend has his off the bike and the mounts removed. Amazing how it changes the look of the bike.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

It's the fix until broken syndrome. I'm prone to it too.. even on newer bikes. Figure your bike is old enough to have kids by now and it gets into perspective a bit.. it will need some geriatric care and attention, but it's a good bike waiting to take you on great rides.,
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche