Thread: clutch questions

Hybrid View

clutch questions

hi sat. i was in a slow bike control class where we used clutch gas and brake at the same time i had smoke and burning smell.i have 2003 r1150rs w/93k.is the clutch shot?anyone know how much dealer charges for replacemnt?thanks for any input! brian

Rally Rat
    Yikes, these Beemer dry clutches REALLY don't handle that type of abuse well. If you were smelling it it was abuse. At the dealer, clutch replacement could easily be north of $2,000. Parts for a DYI, done right is around $500-700. Far from a beginner job, but easily doable if you're mechanically inclined.

Hopefully you still have some life left in it. Mine's >110k mi. and at last measurement (pull the starter) it still had 40% of the usable friction material remaining. If it still acts normal, keep riding until it slips in the higher gears with a roll-on at the torque peak. If you're curious, pull the starter to have a look. Wear limit is 4.5mm IIRC

thanks for info.

BTDT Similar course last year.
    The instructors gave everyone a heads up prior to starting regarding this issue
    The trick is to keep the revs lower than you would with a wet clutch and don't do for an extended period of time.
    I also took a few breaks and went on cooldown runs.

You are most probably fine, all the dry clutch participants in my course were.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

ok ill keep my fingers crossed thanks for replying

did you ride the bike home? did the clutch operate as it normally would (in spite of any funky smells)?

if both answers are "yes", you're fine... until those 2 answers change to "no'.

most likely you ate up some clutch life, but did not kill it.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots