Thread: R60/5 Replacing Turn Signal & Starter Switches and Wire Block Inside Headlight Bucket

R60/5 Replacing Turn Signal & Starter Switches and Wire Block Inside Headlight Bucket

Probably not a difficult job but am erring on side of caution . . .

New switches/wires on the way from Hucky's - originals are not in good shape - broken contacts, brittle wires - Also ordered a new wire terminal strip as part of the existing block must've gotten hot at some point in the bike's history and melted on one end.

Here's my questions:

Did I read correctly that I need to rivet the new block through the bottom of the headlight?

Thinking if I just take my time & take picture where existing wires are placed, this should go smoothly.

Did see a post yesterday where Lew provides a large schematic - mine has fuses.

Will take it slow. Any words of wisdom appreciated.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Rally Rat

Terminal block

The block is held in with a small sheet metal screw.
    Boxerbruce

Mine is held in place by a machine screw and nut (#6 ) IIRCC At some point, in the distance past, it came loose and floated around. apparently with no ill effects (it doesn't need to be grounded) - I finally got around to re-capturing it.

Take it slow is the key. It's not a race (unless you are charging a customer to do the work). Just relax and get a good feel for the "terrain"... I went so far as to pull all the wiring out and untangle the rat's nest. Did you buy replacement instrumentation bulbs too?

Here's another "with fuses" diagram > http://www.brianberlin.net/berlinmm/5fuse.jpg
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thanks, Lew

I did replace al the instrument bulbs - they seem to be working okay except neutral light isn't coming on but will get to that too.

Schematics appreciated!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

... neutral light isn't coming on ...
    Maybe a loose/broken wire down on the "neutral switch" ? If the wire is broken/disconnect it's more than likely the problem; ground it to the tranny case to check if the bulb/circuit works.

The switch can be a royal PITA to get to when in the bike (maybe I'll get a lift if I finally decide to keep my /5). There's a black rubber plug that covers the end of the boss / set screw secures the wire / which comes in through the little boss at the bottom.

switch @ 1:00 from the kick starter shaft

Lew Morris

Rally Rat

neutral

Lew,
    I expect you to die with that bike.
    Boxerbruce

Good clue, Lew.

Neutral light worked before I pulled tranny to do maintenance - I bet the wire may not be in all the way . . . thanks
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Lew,
    I expect you to die with that bike.
    Well, there is always that possibility....

Lew Morris