Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hey, where are the Idaho riders?

Quote Originally Posted by RocksforBrains View Post
    Hi Steve!

Welcome to Idaho. Big Twin is a great dealership and the folks that work there are really nice. I bring my bike for service there and also stop by to drool on the K 1600GT! There are quite a few BMW riders and also a local BMW club that is pretty active. The riding north of Boise is spectacular (hwy 21 from Lowman to Stanley is magnificent).

When I stop by Big Twin later this summer I will be sure to say hi!

Regards,

Kurt

R1200RT
    Kurt, looking forward to meeting you. We're buying a place up in Middleton and are very anxious to get the move done and get out there. Thank you for the warm welcome!
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

SALEM too:)

Don't forget the Salem Rally in July. We too are moving to Boise, maybe a year from now. Wife has Masters IT Schooling many years ago and has work there in the Boise hospitals. I retire. She will be there in a few weeks working. Beemer riders here for 40+ years. California still a great place to ride and see, JUST do not live here if you like your money kept in your pocket!!! State is robbing us. We are ranch property owners here and need land of same in Boise area, horses and so on have to move with us. Think your DOGS are a match? I have pets too, just a few very large ones. Wish you the best from Conn., to the West. You'll love it out here. I came from Virginia 35 years ago, California was picked and now time for another. Look forward to being there myself and have ridden most all of it thru the years, not so far from CAL.. Randy

More to ID Than Boise

I know this post is late but wanted to join others in ID with a welcome Steve. I'm up in Central ID (God's country), with many other BMW riders, our unofficial group: Heartland Moto Locos BMW riders. We live from McCall and Cambridge at the south to Grangeville in the north. I provide local service for a variety of BMWs. Most of our folks also frequent Big Twin so I'm sure we'll be crossing paths. If you're up our way, check the anonymous book under Pollock, ID. Ride easy and we hope to see you this spring.
    gp
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '85 K100RS, '00 R1100RS

Just fyi- The BMWSportttouring.com people just did an Un Rally in Moscow Id in the middle of June.

great roads and great times. BMWMOA's sister group would have liked to see more of the Idaho and close by States join in. 86 from across the country showed up out of the 90 some registered. just sayin.....

I live in eastern WA but ride in Idaho frequently. You are going to really enjoy the variety of riding and great people.

I just got to say I envy you moving to Idaho.
    I was just up there thru' Cascade and Riggins (nice Chevron on the way up and on the way back, even if it was in the rain) and Moscow and up to Bonner's Ferry, then from Lolo to Grangeville, Cascade (it's nice there) and down and over to Stanley and Ketchum and Twin Falls.
    And one of the nicest things about Idaho that I found was ... it's right beside Montana.
    I might not like the winters there, tho'.
    dc

BruceRT

jealous

I lived in Post Falls for ten years until the job went away. I miss it terribly. Butler Maps has an Idaho map and it is worthwhile. There are better roads than Lolo! Enjoy that wonderful state and maybe I can return if I ever retire.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Just watch out for revenue officers, especially on Hwy 12 heading east out of the Lewiston area. They will pull you over for 2mph over there, and they issue tickets, not warnings. If I recall, the fine is the same from 1mph-10mph over the limit, or something like that. Last time I got pulled over there is was for 4mph over, with my daughter on the back. Both of us in full protective gear with armor. Had to listen to a long story about how many HD riders he's seen pulled out of the river, not wearing helmets, etc. It was daytime, hardly any traffic. It has been obvious the couple of times I have been stopped going barely over the limit (I know, I know, the limit is the limit) that it's about the revenue, and doesn't have much to do with public safety. Thankfully the folks with the prosecutors office in Lewiston are fairly reasonable and I got one dismissed easily.

Up in Bonner and Boundary Counties I rarely see a LEO on the road. That stretch of 12 out of Lewiston seems to be very heavily patrolled though.

You will enjoy a lot of time exploring Idaho via bike. The Stanley area is a personal favorite. If you end up with a dualsport you will truly be in Nirvana. I recently went from the McCall area over to Stanley mostly on dirt and it was beautiful, and a lot of fun. The climate is such that things like old mining sites can be amazingly well preserved and fun to check out.